Adoption. Help me please.

(30 Posts)
Beccaboo29 Wed 18-Apr-12 19:21:38

Hi there,

I've just joined so please be nice to me!

My name is Beccy. I'm a 21 year old single mum to a 3 and a half year old little boy. Just for some background I had my son at 16 and I was no longer with the dad. So at the moment I am still living in my childhood home with my mother. Things aren't to well and we argue always.

My son goes to Nursery full time and I am also at work full time. So my mother picks him up every night and takes him home.

I am really struggling at the moment just with the arguments, my son and work. I am seriously considering giving my little boy up for adoption.

The reasons why are because when I had my son I was to far on to have an abortion and I wasn't strong enough to give him up. I love him but he deserves better I know I sound horrible and really please don't judge me but has anyone else considered this?

I really need your help.

Thank you so much.

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Sun 29-Apr-12 16:15:07

I think they will Becca.

You will be judged for wanting to give up your son and I think you should be realistic about that.

I am struggling to understand your reasoning which is why I think you have some serious issues going on.

Your thinking isnt logical and it isnt in your son's best interests.
I can see no point in judging you harshly but I am going to be honest with you because you asked.

Adoption is not the easy option here. Not for you and absolutly NOT for your son.

I hope you can find someone who will help you make sense of your feelings.

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Sun 29-Apr-12 16:15:39

I meant 'I think they will - get better'

If that wasnt clear.

i too hope that the professionals you are seeing can help you through this.

like i said, i have the utmost respect for someone who has a baby at such a young age and still goes on to make something of themselves, hold down a job... it's hard work and it's no wonder you're stressed out right now

i do think that there are simpler solutions to your situation right now, and hopefully you can talk through all the options with someone and figure out what is right not just for you, but for your son as well.

i think it's totally unrealistic to think that you can give up your son and go on living with your mum and everything will be rosy. that isn't going to happen.
your mum will be devastated.

Please keep coming and updating us if you feel you can. There are people here happy to offer support and kind words if you need them

Becca

The feeling you are having ARE normal. I also had my son at 16 (and funnily enough i was a self absorbed adolescent!!) and worked full time. It is really tough and it took me many years to come to terms with my sense of loss not only for my childhood but for his 'great start at life' that i so desperately tried to provide. 21 yrs later and I no longer feel guilty for not 'being good enough' and have come to terms that my best was in fact good enough as at the time it was all i could give.

I am now a social worker (yes you can go back to uni at a later date ;0) ) and have seen terrible cases of abuse and neglect over the years and the poor children who suffer at the hands of adults - your son is not one of these children (from the information you have provided) and you have mentioned the love you feel for your son. Please keep seeing your counsellor and know that things can get better.

mewkins Mon 11-Jun-12 20:58:45

Hiya,
Just wanted to add to the voices saying I hope you start feling positive about things. I work in the world of social services and their absolute priority will be to keep your son with you. That is certainly the best place as all evidence shows that children are best placed with parents w who can love and care for them and with whom thy have formed strong attachments. You may feel like there could be better parents out there, but on that argument everyone would have to give up their child as really no one is a perfect parent. I also think that getting your own place will help and you should be at the top of the list for housing. Also if you contact social services or your local children's centre thy will be able to help in terms of getting support, parenting classes and lone parent groups to help strengthen your parenting skills. There are also ways of formalising respite arrangements to give you a break. SS could make it a proper arrangement for your mum to have your ds every other weekend for example, if all were in agreement.
I hope this helps and wish you all the best for feeling better about things
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now