Active Learning Nursery Crouch End?

(40 Posts)
Primrose8 Wed 02-Dec-09 11:12:22

Hi there,
Does anyone send their 18 mth old to Active Learning in Crouch End. Its looks great and opening hours very flexible but maybe a bit corporate and so expensive. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

L9AJJ Tue 14-Oct-14 15:18:55

The recent inspection report was glowing. A great read. Think all parents need to visit and make their own minds up.

happydays23 Sat 02-Aug-14 00:08:15

Its so sad to here all these negative comments and how the nursery has gone down hill.

L9AJJ Mon 21-Jul-14 00:35:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sarahkk46 Thu 17-Jul-14 23:09:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Imnotsurehowtogetthisout Thu 17-Jul-14 07:39:51

Which nursery did you decide on Rozzy?

L9AJJ Thu 03-Jul-14 15:07:52

Ofsted reinspected yesterday and the staff all looked very happy :-)

Oscar128 Sat 14-Jun-14 15:20:32

To add to my comments, I would recommend that you visit the nursery before making up your mind about it. The new manager is lovely and seems to have worked very hard to improve the nursery further.

Oscar128 Sat 14-Jun-14 14:49:47

My son has been at Active Learning in Crouchend since he was a baby. He is now four and going to school in September and that his time at the nursery has been great and they have helped him to become confident and ready for school. My daughter is 6 months now and I haven't hesitated in my decision to send her to the nursery.

Char0018 Thu 29-May-14 15:50:04

Hi all. We have spent a long time trying to find a suitable nursery for my 12 month old son. We went to visit active learning in crouch end and unfortunately I found the whole place a disorganised mess. The manager wanted to sit and chat all day to the deputy manager. I never had a response on emails or phone calls. wasn't over keen on the baby room, there is only so far you can sell as "sensory room" (ie dark room with some led lights - not where i would want my kid to spend all day thank you!) We were never shown the kitchen or changing areas (reading the latest Ofsted report, I now know why). I'm not surprised they sent the kid home with the wrong grandparent, when we visited twice, I just followed somebody in and nobody stopped me. Anyway, read the Ofsted report please before you pay the horrendous fees. We have settled on Bright Horizons on crouch hill. Got a wonderful feeling as soon as we walked in. Staff are lovely, nursery is new, clean and bright. We were shown everywhere! Communication and management is very good so far. Yes it's still expensive but I feel very comfortable leaving my child there.

Ladyflower123 Wed 28-May-14 00:36:35

Any advice or recent experience with West Hampstead / jw3 active learning baby rooms??
What age to send my twins they are 7 months is this age okay for 3 days a week or too much ???
What are the staff like ??
Thanks

Rozzy83 Sun 18-May-14 18:42:44

Hi there, we viewed this nursery last week as we are looking for our daughter for next May. We were shown round by the "principal" (the manager) who had only been in post two days, we gathered that he had been moved from another nursery to try and sort out the awful ofsted report. He is a lovely guy and we liked the nursery but felt the fees (c. £1600 PCM for four days a week) were far far too high. Our daughter will be 14 months when she starts and will not need all the dance/science/art teachers and studios that they offer, we simply want her to have stimulating toys to play with, care and a cuddle when she needs one! I don't doubt that for older babies (3 years +) it would be good but the poor ofsted report do not justify the v high fees. This is my personal opinion and would advise to go and see it. We have decided on another local nursery that is half the cost and seems more about what we want in terms of childcare.

bmgch Fri 09-May-14 17:58:25

My son is at Active Learning and I really regret to have sent him to this nursery. The nursery doesn't have enough staff to cover its needs, so they depend on Agency staff who come to support them. The Agency staff is changing a lot (every day you see new faces), what it is not helping new children who are trying to settle at the nursery. According to the last Ofstead report 2014,(the nursery is now grade 4, what it is not even Satisfactory)and is not covering the children individual needs, what I completely agree with this.

Mamacino Fri 09-May-14 06:25:10

Please do read the latest ofstead. I've sent both my children there but sadly due to all the upheaval in management and staff it's not worth it given there are so many other options now.
They had answers for all the ofstead points raised but many were just not what you'd expect from a high fee paying nursery.

StepfauxWife Thu 17-Apr-14 23:16:15

Sharpie I would look at the Haringey website as a starting point - all childminders and nurseries listed on there. It's a lot to sift through but probably the most comprehensive list of local childcare.

Also if you have an antenatal group, that can also be a good way of scoping out potential providers.

All the best with your baby!

Sharpie33 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:47:46

We were impressed with our visit recently to the Active Learning nursery but are worried about the high fees. We are really at the early research stage as our baby is not due until end of May and we won't need a nursery space until May 2014. Please can anyone give us some other local options to research, we would consider childminders too.

SpeedData Wed 22-Jan-14 21:04:36

They recently had another shocking incident, where they allowed a grandparent to take the wrong child. They blamed the incident on the fact that the child was wearing face paint confused

Bettygoesout Wed 22-Jan-14 20:52:21

Hi, reviving this thread again to find out more recent experiences please. Seems like the head and many of the staff have left? Can anyone share their recent experience? Especially from baby room.

MrsMarigold Wed 13-Nov-13 11:10:43

I saw someone the other day whose son is there and she said it was brilliant.

MrsMarigold Wed 13-Nov-13 11:10:20

I saw someone the other day whose son is there and she said it was brilliant.

Sukiri123 Wed 13-Nov-13 11:04:58

I didn't send my little daughter there after viewing it, and found out that the woman I saw smoking outside earlier was the head teacher there.

MummyKanny Wed 02-Oct-13 11:21:38

Bump!

MummyKanny Thu 19-Sep-13 16:13:16

Reviving this thread to ask for some more recent experiences of this nursery please?

racheyp Fri 05-Apr-13 19:19:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Halima17 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:45:31

Hi there,I'm a former chef at the Active Learning Nursery in Crouch End and need your help to find the Manager Allison who works with me,for reference reason).Do any one of the parents now here full name?Thanks for any help!halima-l-lamech@hotmail.co.uk

Rosebud05 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:04:13

It's interesting how people feel the need to defend this nursery so profusely.

I am 100% sure that I have the right nursery as I had lengthly discussions with my friend about it, which had far greater criticisms than I've shared here. She also told me negative views of other people who had tried it, which I won't repeat here.

Anyway, 18 months after her post, Primrose8 has probably found childcare by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now