Childcare on a 19K job?

(13 Posts)
ConfusedAndNeedAdvice Fri 02-Sep-16 22:15:09

Hi, I'm new to this, so hope I've posted in the right place. Would be so grateful for any advice.
My son will be 3 in October. Since feb/march this year he has been going to nurseries under the free 15 hr 2 year old scheme.
I have been applying for jobs and just managed to get myself a 19K job.
I have not worked since being pregnant with him. So out of a job for a while. He is my first child and I really don't know how the childcare scheme works or how much I would have to pay. Or would I be worse off? The job is about 40 hrs a week. Shifts are like from 7am-2pm and 3pm-10pm during weekdays and some weekends. I would know in advance which shifts.

Is this possible to do with a child? How much would childcare cost me? How much would I have to pay out of my own pocket? Does anyone have a similar type shift with children? How much do you pay for someone to drop off pick up child and stay/per hour. Would I be eligible for the 30 hour scheme? Would that be in addition to vouchers?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally clueless. confused

Tia.

ConfusedAndNeedAdvice Fri 02-Sep-16 22:16:04

*single mum

nat73 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:02:52

I believe the 30 free hours for 3 year Olds does not start til Sept 2017 so you will get 15 free hours for 39 weeks of the year. For the evenings and weekends you will need to look into a child minder as most nurseries are closed by 6pm at the latest. You should ask the employer where you can buy childcare vouchers from your pretax salary. This would be in addition to the free 15 hours. Check out your local council website for childcate. Hope this helps.

insancerre Fri 09-Sep-16 17:30:32

Do have a partner or family to share childcare?
I think you will struggle to find childcare from before 7am and after 10 pm and at weekends without using a range if different options

Nurseries are usually 8-6 though some might be 7-7
Childminders might be more flexible but most child carers would want set hours, not choppng and changing each week
You are probably looking at a fulltime nursery or childminders place plus a nanny to do drop offs and pick ups

fittedcupboard Sun 11-Sep-16 19:42:46

You are probably looking at a fulltime nursery or childminders place plus a nanny to do drop offs and pick ups

agree with this. and it will cost more than you earn I'm afraid. Could you arrange something reciprocal with someone at work who does opposite shifts?

Xmasbaby11 Sun 11-Sep-16 19:46:38

I think a childminder would be the best bet. Mine does early starts and late finishes and has parents who work shifts eg flight attendant. I'm not sure all do this - you should look up a few in your area and ask about what they do, pay etc. The 15 free hours would start in January I guess so that would help a lot.

NapQueen Sun 11-Sep-16 19:47:54

Most CMS won't work evenings and weekends. Do you have anyone who can do the putting to bed etc?

Artandco Sun 11-Sep-16 19:50:36

It's the times that are an issue, the cost of childcare before 7am or late in the evening is high.

Could you look at childminder instead of nursery? Some accept childcare vouchers and the free 15 hrs.

Xmasbaby11 Sun 11-Sep-16 19:52:07

Also wanted to say, well done on getting the job. It does sound very tough to cover the childcare unless you have friends and family to pitch in.

In all honesty, if it were me, I would not want to do the job. Even if it's possible to organise childcare it is likely to be very difficult and maybe not the best for your son.

DietCockBreak Sun 11-Sep-16 19:55:22

You just need to find a childminder who's happy to be flexible with hours. The going rate for childminders around here is £5 per hour. I suppose weekends and evenings they might charge more, as they are only likely to be looking after your child, so they might want minimum wage or more. What area are you in?

DunDunDaa Wed 14-Sep-16 07:26:57

I just saw this. Thank you all for your response. I really appreciate the advice. I have gone to citizens advice Bureau who have told me what childcare help/working tax credit/child tax credit I'd be entitled to.
Unfortunately I have felt that I would not be able to commit to those hours so have turned down the job offer (I feel so terrible and like I've let them down - they were so nice sad ). Going to another interview today, hopefully all goes well. This one is more of a 9-5 job so will be able to put my son in an 8-6 nursery hopefully.

Again thanks all flowers

daisydalrymple Wed 14-Sep-16 07:46:08

Oh good luck for today! Hope it goes well.

Dlah Fri 16-Sep-16 21:01:10

If It's already been said I apologise, but firstly you'll keep your 2 year funding until December so that should get you going and then he'll transfer to 3 year funding from January (first term after) unfortunately as above, 30 hours doesn't come in until September 2017

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now