Want to open a nursery

(5 Posts)
Abiba01 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:29:51

Morning all

I would like some advise from any nursery owners, I am looking at opening a new nursery but would like some idea or tips on things to focus on and just anyone to share their experience on the process. If I could speak with someone who is happy to give their details I would be most grateful or even find a mentor in this area as a guide. Although I have a background in Education and Early years and I am also a current registered Minder don't have a business background and I really want this to work! Thank you

Abiba01 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:30:53

Sorry as I know this is an old thread but hopefully we can this topic going again.

wineandsunshine Tue 16-Aug-16 16:14:39

Following! I'm trying to do the same although it's in the early stages with negotiating the premises! Mine will be a pack away each day so I'm after ideas really from anyone who is doing this?!

Sorry to hijack!

Dlah Thu 25-Aug-16 19:28:49

Turn around and run!! grin

Apologies, I say it tongue in cheek. What I will say is though, it's not easy, and in my opinion, you really have to 'want' to do it and be there and commit. There is so much paperwork and red tape and political correctness these days, to name but a few recently we've had to deal with;

I don't want your male nursery worker changing my child's nappy
I don't want my child to be given anything processed (I will point out we are by no means a processed setting - all meals made fresh by cook, but probably once a week in rotation items such as waffles, sausages, fish fingers will be given)

It's like you're constantly covering your arse so as not to get bitten. Safeguarding is so prominent (and rightly so) but I have staff questioning whether they should have physical contact for fear of complaints. Children need physical contact, they need a cuddle when they're hurt or upset after parents have left, it's a natural part of nursery life but you wonder when someone's going to query it.

I think the main thing is get your local authority on side, build good relationships and use your local children's safeguarding board as they can be a god send

Good luck

Dlah Thu 25-Aug-16 19:29:11

Turn around and run!! grin

Apologies, I say it tongue in cheek. What I will say is though, it's not easy, and in my opinion, you really have to 'want' to do it and be there and commit. There is so much paperwork and red tape and political correctness these days, to name but a few recently we've had to deal with;

I don't want your male nursery worker changing my child's nappy
I don't want my child to be given anything processed (I will point out we are by no means a processed setting - all meals made fresh by cook, but probably once a week in rotation items such as waffles, sausages, fish fingers will be given)

It's like you're constantly covering your arse so as not to get bitten. Safeguarding is so prominent (and rightly so) but I have staff questioning whether they should have physical contact for fear of complaints. Children need physical contact, they need a cuddle when they're hurt or upset after parents have left, it's a natural part of nursery life but you wonder when someone's going to query it.

I think the main thing is get your local authority on side, build good relationships and use your local children's safeguarding board as they can be a god send

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now