Stressing about daughter starting nursery...success stories and tips needed please!

(2 Posts)
LadesC Wed 15-Jun-16 16:17:33

Hi everyone.....my daughter is 10months old and will be starting nursery at the start of September when I return to work 3 days a week. To prepare her I started going to the stay and play session at thr nursery last week and ever since I cant stop thinking about it and getting upset. Shes bf and am currently trying to get her to take milk from a cup which is going ok after lots of previous refusals. However mainly cos of bf Ive only left her once (with her dad) for about 5 hours but also we have no family locally to leave her with. Im so worried about how she will ever settle after being with me for so long. Shes very sociable and smiley but thats when Im there too. Im crying about it whenever I think about it and dont want to ruin the remaining 2.5months mat leave. Please tell me itll be ok if youve been thru similar or any other tips to help prepare her.

Tallulahoola Tue 28-Jun-16 00:23:43

I was exactly like this with my DD but don't worry, it will be fine. Going to stay and play is a good idea to get her used to being around other children (until they're about 2 they don't really play with other kids but just alongside them). Then you just have to trust in the nursery. I won't lie - for two weeks DD (11 months) cried when I dropped her off and I felt awful. But two minutes after I'd left she was fine - the nursery encouraged me to hang around and then have a sneaky peek through the door to see how she was doing, and she was laughing away.

I worried that she wouldn't nap because she was terrible for napping at home, but they got her into a routine so quickly and she was soon sleeping and eating there far better than she did at home. So even if your daughter isn't really using a bottle at home she will most likely do it at nursery with no bother.

Another thing I found it good to remind myself was that by the time they turn 1 they are starting to get a bit bored of the same toys etc at home and are looking for new experiences. So it is really good for them to be at nursery. I had considered a childminder at one point but so glad I didn't, nursery is the best decision we ever made. She is a happy, sociable, confident little girl and so much of that is down to the nursery environment.

Feeling sad about these things never ends though. I'm feeling exactly the same thing about her starting school...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now