Angel delight!! Oh bl**dy hell!

(166 Posts)
fluffyanimal Fri 23-Feb-07 11:39:46

Do you know that the sausage roll and chicken korma weren't made on site? Both could be fine if made from fresh.

gnu Thu 22-Feb-07 15:54:36

No, it appeared to be one that the slattern sitting with her had found on the floor. DD looked a little bemused by it but I was a little concerned when we got home that she seemed to be sucking her own tongue iyswim.

We actually did give her a dummy for the first 3 months or so as she desperately needed to get rid of tension when going down for naps. She dropped it pretty much on her own during a cold when she was congested and never had it back. Not sure I want it reintroduced now!

belgo Thu 22-Feb-07 15:50:22

not her own dummy I presume?

gnu Thu 22-Feb-07 15:49:49

Wasn't too happy to find 10 month dd having had sausage roll and chicken korma as her two meals yesterday at nursery. Whatever the delights to adults of the best pureed Ginsters and Vesta products, I'm not sure I want her having them just yet!

Also picked her up yesterday and found her with a dummy in her mouth

williamsmummy Thu 22-Feb-07 09:40:18

HA ! youre worried about angel delight, how about instant smash potato as a first weaning food?!!!!!
I was horrifed!! whats wrong with a micowaved jacket potato ????
total madness , no wonder the babies were sooooo thirsty!!!

DizzyBint Mon 05-Feb-07 12:26:53

lovelylou- you have a duty of care to those children. you really must think very hard about reporting what's going on.

fluffyanimal Mon 05-Feb-07 12:23:34

Imay be wrong but if you are not intending to go back to work there, you won't get anything more than statutory maternity pay from them.

So blow the whistle now.

nurseryvoice Sun 04-Feb-07 09:24:46

ring ofsted.sooner rather than later..

lovelylou Sat 03-Feb-07 17:33:22

We don't have staff meetings at the nursery i work at nurseryvoice. Me and a friend have brought other issues up that we weren't happy with (children being fed far too fast so that they don't have time to swallow before next spoonful shoved in) but nothing was done about it. Our opinions are not valued they would rather we just ignored these issues.
The girl in charge of my room does not even know how to talk to children. The other week we were talking and she said if shehad children and they had a severe allergy to her cat she would rather get rid of her child than the cat and she was'nt joking.
The place is a hell hole and i cannot wait to leave.

nurseryvoice Sat 03-Feb-07 13:53:03

so sorry you are having bad experiences (especially in your condition)
i can reassure you that there are some excellent nurseries out there who put the children's needs first.
could you raise the issue at the next staff meeting and ask the staff for suggestions for healthy eating, you could say something like " because if would be awful if anyone complained to ofsted" come on, be brave, you are in the strongest position in your career (because you are pregnant)!!!they will not sack you so you can do no harm by bringing this up.
let us know how you get on...

lovelylou Fri 02-Feb-07 11:56:38

Have complained in other nurseries I have worked at but have to say find management at this nursery very unapproachable. just moved back up north and i have to say i found nurseries in london had much more approachable management. hate the place i work at now but am pregnant and need my maternity leave and pay. wont be going back after this baby. They have just offered my daughter a place as my childminder left me for a new job but i said no, i would do anything rather than send her there

nurseryvoice Fri 02-Feb-07 11:18:44

THATS AWFUL
but that is down to bad management
ive said it before and i'll say it again
there are no bad nurseries just bad managers!

and bye the way did you every complain and what was done about your complaint

lovelylou Fri 02-Feb-07 10:50:51

Even if you were given a menu it can be very differen to what you would expect. I have worked in nurseries for eight years. the other day the menu said vegetable stew, in reality the children wetre given a bowl full of tinned carrots mixed with frozen peas and sweetcorn. Nurseries can make food sound so much nicer than it actually is

fluffyanimal Sun 21-Jan-07 10:23:48

Aint nothing wrong with fish fingers!

Now Findus Crispy Pancakes <drrrroooollll> loved them but probably terribly bad for you!

sallyb Fri 19-Jan-07 19:23:36

Great meal that my twins love is 'sticky chicken'. Stirfry some garlic and chicken strips until sealed. Then pour over a mix of light, reduced salt soy sauce, runny honey and a splash of fresh orange juice. Allow to cook, stiring occasionally until the sauce is dark and sticky. Serve with boiled potatoes or mash, and mix of vegetables. Really nice for yourselves for lunch too but stop cooking a little earlier so sauce is runny and serve with rocket and watercress with sauce drizzles over and orange segments thrown in. Very tasty!

I understand about the Angel Delight thing and have personally never given it to my two but admit to having loved it as a kid in the 1970s along with Smash, Findus Crispy Pancakes and Fish Fingers.

I was school sports captain and top of my year so didn't affect me too drastically and I'm still alive today to tell the tale.

As far as I am concerned if they have a healthy diet at home the odd packet of chocolate button and even a custard cream isn't going to kill them.

Tell nursery that they are only allowed fruit or yogurt for puddings. I am a SAHM and they still only have fruit or yogurt bfor pudding at 3 years old. We don't eat puddings, only fruit and so I have never really considered making any.

nurseryvoice Thu 18-Jan-07 18:19:58

oh and thanks for menu ideas, we actually provide all those you suggested though.
so any more ideas greatfully appreciated.

nurseryvoice Thu 18-Jan-07 18:18:14

no, no custard creams,,,,
its funny really, when i first started the nursery the food wasnt as good as it is now.
i think it was the staff who needed educating
as they were always moaning at me to give the children something theyd like, eg chips or fishfingers, but i stuck to my guns and am really pleased with the way we offer a lovely menu. as i said though i am always looking for improvement and the puddings are next on my list to improve. (parents and ofsted expect a pudding, so that is why they are given one. myself, i never eat puddings.

CountTo10 Wed 17-Jan-07 20:31:14

The nursery ds attends provides full menu plans at the beginning of each week so you can see exactly what they eat, snacks and all and they have a note of what and how much they've eaten. The majority of the food is freshly prepared - I'm quite cure they don't stand their blanching and skinning their own tomatoes though!!!! The kids even sometimes get to be involved in making their own food - so fresh fruit salad or pizzas that kind of thing so they are involved in the process and can see where their food comes from. Or maybe that's the chefs day off, I don't know . There have been points when ds was younger where I have said I didn't want certain foods given which they stuck to. There are the occasions where they are given fairy cakes as a snack or the odd chocolate button - and even a bowl of angel delight but the diet is balanced and varied which for me is the most important thing. They get a good proportion of their 5 a day and parents are welcome to suggest new meal ideas etc. Every nursery should be looking to manage the childs care with the parent so you should talk to your nursery manager about your concerns and get some idea of what's going on. Its not just about how much money you're paying a month its about the fact that you are placing your child in someone else's care and you are expecting certain standards to be maintained in your absence.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 17-Jan-07 20:18:43

Fruit crumbles.
fruit salad
Cheese and biscuits/crackers
Bananas and custard
Tapioca - with a spoon of fruit compote - YES it can be lovely if done properly

DizzyBint Wed 17-Jan-07 20:14:15

my nursery thought i was rather odd when i was discussing blw with them, dd started this week. they're ok with it, she has toddler food rather than baby food. but the bit they couldn't get their heads round was when they were saying what puddings she'd be having (all sloppy, needing spoonfeeding) i said oh just give her some fruit instead. they seemed to think i was cruel, forcing her to feed herself and that meaning she couldn't have puddings. how i laughed. poor kid.

pointydog Wed 17-Jan-07 20:08:54

I was going to say that as well, dizzy! Knew you'd get picked up on that nursery

DizzyBint Wed 17-Jan-07 19:23:59

what about fruit being the pudding rather than coming after pudding? at home dd's 'pudding' is fruit.

pointydog Wed 17-Jan-07 19:21:53

don't tell me you give them custard creams

nurseryvoice Wed 17-Jan-07 19:10:54

mmmmm i remember butterscotch angel delight, havent had it in years.
at my nursery i personally oversee the cooking of food by our cook. there is no processed food (apart from once a week when we buy frozen fish cakes) as we just cant seem to make them right (any recipies anyone)

everything else home cooked. eg pizzas, lasagnes, pasta dishes, casseroles, all served with at least 2 fresh vegetables, no tins....
puddings are usually yoghurts or carrot cake, ice cream etc.
fruit is ALWAYS served after pudding.
fruit is also available at the 2 snack times 10am and 2 pm.
has anyone got any pudding ideas?
i am very fussy about food (vegetarian) so i know the importance of a healthy diet.
however once a day the children are allowed a biscuit as part of their diet.

smeeinit Tue 16-Jan-07 15:12:57

yeah but smash aloha......ewwwwwww!!
my point wasnt really what it tasted like but rather that the nursery in question was calling it veg/cheese and potato pie!!!

oliveoil Tue 16-Jan-07 14:51:39

My two were teetering on the brink of a full on tantrum in Tesco's on Saturday so dh tried to distract by pointing out the tins of pasta - you know, Barbie, Barney, Bob the Builder.

So they are all squeals and get one each. Warm them up for tea and dd2 put a mouthful in and spat in out in drips onto the table.

dd1 tried a few mouthfuls and then said it was horrible and "not like your pasta mummy".

<<preen>>

I used to like Angel Delight as a child but I used to like Spandau Ballet as well.

Aloha Tue 16-Jan-07 14:40:25

Yes, I've had Smash. It's a bit bland in texture etc but it is made of real potato, has plenty of vitamin c, low in salt and contains no carcinogenic ingredients or ones that cause heart disease. The Food Commission approves it as a healthy food. Which is a lot more than you can say for Angel Delight.

Piffle Tue 16-Jan-07 11:26:12

Wait until you get to big school
Packed lunches all the way here
it's one aspect of ym kids upbringings I intend keeping a very close eye on
Sudden heart death pre age 50 due to hardening of the arteries is present on both sides of ds's family.
My mother cooked always home cooked good nutritious food, when my father dropped dead aged 49 we were told the worst damage had been done before he turned 20.
FFS
Call me paranoid I do not want to outlive my children.

smeeinit Tue 16-Jan-07 11:17:53

aloha have you ever tasted smash?!!

lostinfrance Tue 16-Jan-07 11:15:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitshoots Tue 16-Jan-07 11:10:38

I love Angel delight my kids have it all the time

arfishy Tue 16-Jan-07 11:00:42

BelgianBun - you are right to be annoyed. The issues here are:

1) The food isn't 'fresh' as advertised
2) They have no understanding of children's nutrition (or worse, do and just don't care)
3) If they're lying and ill-informed about the food, what's happening in other areas of the nursery?

The thing about Angel Delight is that yes, we all had it as children. It was exotic and fun in the 70s. We didn't know about trans fats then and we do now. It isn't good to eat all of the processed junk that is available. Just because it's become 'normal' doesn't mean to say it's ok.

Aloha Tue 16-Jan-07 09:56:31

I'd much rather have Smash. At least it doesn't contain positively dangerous ingredients.

Aloha Tue 16-Jan-07 09:56:03

Yes, it is a business. You are the CUSTOMER. If they lose customers, they lose their business. WHy on earth do you think Sainsbury's, to name just one major retailer, is eliminating transfats from its entire range. Nearly all responsible retailers are working towards the same goal. That's because transfats cause cancer and heart disease. That may be OK for some people's children, but it isn't for mine and for £900 a term, it isn't for BB's.

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 22:48:53

belgiunbun,if you want to email me i will give you the name of the chain of nurseries i worked at that served the smash.
dont really wnat to name it on here at the risk of getting sued!
nik 19 71 (at) bt internet (dot) com

Raggydoll Mon 15-Jan-07 22:47:57

at dd's nursery lemon curd sandwiches are a regular 'supper'. I don't think they ever have fruit!

Oh, yes, the OP. I'd ask. It might have been a one off, it might not.

I've never been comfortable with for-profit childcare, so my kids haven't ever really had any. Non-profit nursery, charity childcare co-op, etc etc.

Yes, my breasts tell jokes too.

DS2 doesn't generally talk about breasts, except to say "no boobie no boobie no boobie" before having some. Oh, he did sing me a song with the theme "boobie boobie boobie" today.

(I call them boobs, but he puts 'ie' on anything now. He has a dragon called Draggie, his brother is called DS1ie, etc etc)

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 22:27:39

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 22:10:49

personally I would be more bothered about the spaghetti

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 22:04:56

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:59:46

MP - our DC's have obviously been sharing this joke....?

BB - sorry....

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:58:53

lol

I have a good food situation going with our CM, now I just need to teach my family that NO she does not want chocolate buttons!

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 21:56:30

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:56:24

(Sometimes my dd will pretend to be about to lwatch on and then say "No" and turn away. And then roll around laughing. She will do this about 20 times which she thinks is the height of sophisticated humour.)

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:55:09

LOL, Sometimes (because DP gives him a bottle of ebm when im at work), he'll go up to him and ask for "bot-bot". But as soon as I stick a pillow on my lap he comes running over saying "boobieboobieboobieboobieboobie".

pollypots2 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:53:37

Belgian bun - totally agree with you being p*ed off in they tell you it's fresh and you're paying 900 notes. Responding more to the terrible hatred of ANGEL DELIGHT!

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:53:26

(What is it with the giggling when b/feeding? What do they find amusing?!)

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:52:17

Actually dd got v. distressed before her nap today because she was eating ice-cream and her hands were "COLD. OW. COLD!!!!!!!!"

When I lay on the bed with her she just shoved a hand on each breast and fell asleep without feeding! I was merely a source of heat.

Bless

Anyway back to the Smash

Cappuccino Mon 15-Jan-07 21:51:57

I haven't been able to squirt milk ever let alone at 2 yrs

my boobs are very repressed

Cappuccino Mon 15-Jan-07 21:50:30

arf

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:50:25

oh yes giggling v. cute

I showed my dd how I can squirt milk in her face the other day

She was hysterical with mirth

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:49:14

hehehe

sometimes when I take my bra off she kicks her feet and waves her arms and says "yespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyesplease!"

More than her father ever does, I can tell you.

Cappuccino Mon 15-Jan-07 21:48:50

or faffing about asking where their sister is while they feed

fgs I want to go downstairs and have a beer

<peeve>

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:48:30

ROFL capuccino....

Would you like to borrow DS.....?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:47:42

It's so so cute, isnt it

Especially if they start giggling whilst feeding. Magical.

Cappuccino Mon 15-Jan-07 21:47:00

mine just says 'feed' and scrabbles at me

sometimes she shoves my left nipple (which has always been the weak link) at me disdainfully and barks 'no want it'

and at cute little buttons who say 'milk please yum yum mummy lovely'

precocious little fecks

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 21:46:33

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:44:01

(aw that is so YUMMY. I LOVE talking breastfeeders. Mine now says "Milk", "Yum", "Finished" and "More". She is SO SCRUMMY.)

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 21:43:04

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:42:19

LOL! sometimes, MP, you have to take things children say, with a pinch of that salt that is excluded from their dinner.....

DS was in bed with me the other morning, and, before he would feed from me, he insisted on blowing my left breast several times because it was "ot". I can assure you it wasnt........

pollypots2 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:41:47

My dd started 2 mornings at nursery few months ago and have to say that lunches are freshly cooked( probably with crap ingredients though) but always some stodgy pudding with custard after. Same thing at school for 2 older dd's when they have school lunches in the winter. Is this traditoinal English fayre? My Dad was Italian and a chef so we have always eaten very well at home, very meditteranean diet but even went to private junior school and remember weekly lunches full of fish fingers, beans, and ANGEL DELIGHT Have to say I loved it though and never tasted the same when I tried to make it myself.
IMO best to stick to packed lunches for majority of year and moving youngest to nursery where she can take packed lunch too. I guess we can whinge but it is more convenient to have a lunch provided and IMO if you really think one bowl of angel delight will turn your dd/ds into an obese adult then start chopping those carrots for tomorrows lunch

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:38:29

I am both VVQV

I am like a woman who knows her husband is having an affair but is too weak to object

The other day my 4 year old said that my soda flakes "looked like potato"

I nearly choked

She SAYS that they just have tubs of it to play with. BUT DO THEY? She once said that she'd eaten a "Smiley Face". WTF was THAT?

I don't want to know I don't want to know I don't want to know

flutterbee Mon 15-Jan-07 21:37:46

The nursery are very very wrong to be telling you that the food they provide is prepared from fresh when they are infact giving tinned spaghetti and angel delight.

The rest of the conversation just needs a big fat...................

PARP!!!!!!!!!!!

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:29:36

MP, I think you are either hideously obsessive

Or you show a deep lack of trust in your current childcarers

Either way, licking and sniffing your childrens food stained clothes is rank.

lazyline Mon 15-Jan-07 21:28:55

I agree that it might not be enough to ask to see the menu. When my son was at nursery, I knew that they had given him either chocolate or a chocolate pudding when I had specifically asked them not to. He was 6 months old. It was never mentioned in his food diary.

I suspect that it can be a habit to omit "naughty" things.

I think that the best thing to do is to start with writing a letter to the nursery, not in any way nasty, but to state that there are certain things that you do not want your daughter to eat. Then you know that they are very aware of the boundaries and what you expect. After all, YOU pay them, it's not like they are doing you a favour! Then, if your child is given rubbish again, you can complain.

Saturn74 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:21:36

MP, is this restricted to the clothes of your child, or is it anyone who passes by wearing a small spillage?

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:20:42

<shame>

Last week I had a good SNIFF of the pasta spillage to check it wasn't Heinz crap

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:19:25

We've discovered that DD wont eat Wotsits

MP - you minger

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 21:17:45

I have been known to LICK messy clothes, to chcek for salt-content of spilled food.

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 21:17:09

Although I am strict with dd's food, she has had angel delight once. She wasn't that impressed to be honest, but I like it!

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 21:16:43

name an shame em smee

Best way to check is to turn up one dinner/lunch time, unannounced. You'll see whats what then, wont you?

I did this occasionally - not through anything other than change in work schedule, and after the initial teething troubles, the meals improved immenseley.

Cappuccino Mon 15-Jan-07 21:13:22

I always pack my dd a lunch to go to nursery even though you can have the lunches

I want to know what she's having so I can balance her diet for the day

It wouldn't occur to me to let anyone else plan my dd's diet until she is old enough to make her own decisions and tell me what she's had

I have fed her Angel Delight once in the past so I'm not being all holier than thou btw; I had a lot of milk left over and no 2 hours available to make a rice pudding

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 21:05:40

what makes me really mad is that parents were paying top of the range prices for those shitty meals.
i hate nurseries!!

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 21:04:02

pmsl at dandruff of the devil!! lol!!

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 21:03:17

fuckinell smeeinit that's dreadful! Smash is the dandruff of devils.

Nice to be agreeing with you for once, anyway

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 21:01:37

mp is totally right.....ask for the ingredients!
i worked for a short time in a well known chain of private nurseries who gave their babies "vegtable pie" which infact was grated carrot in a bowl with a bit of smash (yes smash!) or "cheese and potato pie" which was infact
smash with a bit of cheese on top!
i was there 3 weeks and they had smash every single night.
now i know i like angel delight BUT smash...............ewwwwwww!

ScummyMummy Mon 15-Jan-07 21:00:49

Really? They disguise angel delight as fruit mousse? LOL! I'd leave it then unless there's alternative childcare you can move her to if they conclude that you're being snotty.

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 20:57:08

Trouble is, asking for the menu isn't enough.

Angel Delight might be "Fruit Mousse" on the menu which sounds fine.

Spahetti Hoops might be "Pasta in tomato sauce" which sounds fine.

You have to ask for ingredients for each meal to REALLY know the score.

ScummyMummy Mon 15-Jan-07 20:51:09

I think if this is indicative of the menu generally then you are right to question it. If it's generally ok then I think complaining about the angel delight would be a bit precious, personally. It sounds like you don't know and I think the suggestion of asking for a copy of the menu is a good one.

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:49:55

MP, if they are too dense to understand that 1) tinned spaghetti isn't a fresh food and 2) telling lies is wrong, then I wouldn't want the looking after my kids all day! Choice of broadsheet notwithstanding.

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 20:47:51

My SIL has now quit working as a nursery nurse she was fed up with the targets they had to meet (I wanted to be a nursery nurse, not a teacher), fed up with the crappy pay (despite the nursery fees being huge, it is not reflected in pay), tired of the way the nurseries she worked in were run - crappy food served, wrong milk given to wrong children, being left on her own (when unqualified) as they were short staffed etc.

We went to see one nursery before choosing our CM where our DD goes now, they harped on about the fresh food they served with their on site "chef", which sounded lovely, until we visted and they told us to leave DD alone her in car-seat near the entrance so we could "have a look around in peace"!

Didn't go back there!

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 20:46:36

But Greensleeves most of the workers in my nursery are teenagers.

I don't think they study the Guardian every morning and torture themselves over ethical issues.

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 20:45:49

in total agreement with greensleeves (first time i think?!!!)
as someone who has had the utter misfortune to work in a private nursery i can honestly say you have hit the nail right on the head!
nurseries are there to make money.
sad but true

NotAnOtter Mon 15-Jan-07 20:43:31

well sadly i think this corner cutting will be rife

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 20:43:27

The only problem with that MP, is for folk like me whose children have food allergies, its got a be a whole, decent package, not just about the people who look after my child being loving and caring.

Although, its tantamount to the same thing. Someone caring enough to make sure they dont feed my child macaroni cheese...for example, knowing she has a cows milk protein allergy....

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:42:50

moarginally??

It's not a typo. It's a new word [lalala emoticon]

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:41:59

Well, I do agree that the kindness and competence of the staff taking care of the children is moarginally more important than the food - but personally I couldn't work in a nursery where I knew the parents were being defrauded and the children's nutritional needs neglected. I find it difficult to square "quality staff" with complicity in this sort of disgraceful corner-cutting.

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 20:39:38

No I agree Greensleeves.

That's just the way it is.

My nursery is top-of-the-money but I've seen the Tesco value stuff sneaking in the back door.

But the staff in the girls rooms are absolutely top-notch and I have been surprised at the excellent quality of care.

NotAnOtter Mon 15-Jan-07 20:38:54

i think we are all lucky to be able to afford and have the education to feed our babies good stuff
An awful lot of the babies in the uk are fed crap all the time
the nursery is a business. it looks after its profits.
if you dont like it change ....you can afford to.get real

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 20:37:26

home made fish fingers with paprika
Got a nice version if anybody wants it!

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:37:05

Oh, um, well I seem to have gone a little further than MP (I wouldn't want anyone to be tarred with the same brush as me )

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:36:17

MP has hit the nail on the head IMO. As soon as a child becomes a source of revenue rather than an emotional commitment, there's the problem.

Sad but true. Nurseries are businesses. They exist to make money.

morningpaper Mon 15-Jan-07 20:34:55

I agree with Miaou that a lot of nurseries cut money on food and give a lot more crap than they would admit.

I know it's true at my dd's nursery.

But TBH they are just corporate giants looking at grabbing money. They don't really CARE about children. What's more important to me is the quality of the PEOPLE in the nursery. The carers really seem to love children and babies and that's the most important thing to me.

I always give mine a decent dinner when they get home anyway - nursery serves "dinner" at 3.30!

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 20:34:54

homemade chicken nuggets.

alipiggie Mon 15-Jan-07 20:30:54

For my ds1's recent 5th we made our own pizzas. Freshly made dough, real home made passata, grated cheese sliced meats for the toppings. Not only was it fun to make but healthy option. Have to admit that I like Angel Delight though - sorry . I'm sure that the one with sugar though is healthier than the one classed as sugar free.

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:29:26

fajitas
home-made pizzas
huge fruit salad with whipped cream
veggie sticks/breadsticks and nice dips

Vicki2007 Mon 15-Jan-07 20:26:54

Anyone got any suggestions for healthy kids party food which is none toxic, just noticed the subject of food, always end up with hot dogs (disgusting) & popcorn (worst still)!!

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 20:18:04

I don't understand how anyone can work in a place like that day after day, defrauding parents, shovelling cheap chemical-laden crap into little children's bodies. I couldn't do it.

ELF1981 Mon 15-Jan-07 20:12:34

I would want an explanation.
I pay £400 a month for my dd's childcare (full time) and she gets fresh cooked meals each day and even gets to help make the bread (from fresh) when there aren't too many kids around. (She's 15 months so 'helping' consists of bashing a spoon in the flour, but hey, she enjoys it).
On other kids birthdays etc they may have "party food" but that is just a treat so I dont mind.

My SIL worked in an expensive nursery, and she said the kids were served loads of tins foods esp the "tesco value" type stuff

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 19:56:18

I've never assumed that Petit Filous were healthy or nutritious......

Little Rachels all the way for me and mine

PanicPants Mon 15-Jan-07 19:56:07

The problem really isn't to do with Angel delight, or even tinned spagetti. But ELSE are they giving the children as a 'treat'?

LisaHy Mon 15-Jan-07 19:47:15

If you think Angel Delight is bad for you take a look at how much sugar is in a pot of fromage frais eg Petit Filous - not as "healthy" or natural as you would assume.

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 19:36:03

whos taking the piss belgiunbun?!! this is an open forum where people express their differing views,some people like angel delight some dont. its not taking the piss its other peoples opinions.
if you didnt want them dont ask for them!

pointydog Mon 15-Jan-07 19:26:41

"Which surprises me less than it should."

Yes, I wouldn't be particularly surprised either, greensleeves.

pointydog Mon 15-Jan-07 19:25:53

"But Angel Delight is really not what "prepared form fresh" implies is it? Not by anyone's standards."

Well I don't know what the nursery means when it says 'prepared from fresh'. Maybe they come out with the right buzzwords without any substance behind them. Which is why I said in my first post that I thought it would be a good idea to find out from the nursery exactly what they mean by 'from fresh' and then decide if there's a case to be pissed off with them.

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 19:21:57

In today's climate if the staff running a private nursery charging that sort of money haven't got a reasonable grasp of basic child nutrition, then they're a bunch of thick ignorant lazy rob-dogging neanderthals. Which surprises me less than it should.

WelshBoris Mon 15-Jan-07 19:20:52

Yes it is prepared from fresh sugar, fresh poison and fresh angel poo

SoupDragon Mon 15-Jan-07 19:20:47

The issue with the OP is that the nursery is not fulfilling one of their stated "rules" for want of a better word.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Jan-07 19:20:07

But Angel Delight is really not what "prepared form fresh" implies is it? Not by anyone's standards.

pointydog Mon 15-Jan-07 19:19:08

nnnnnngg

I'm not saying it's not important. Of course this issue is very important to you. I'm saying unless you have a written menu or assurance of what the children will and will not be fed, you cannot assume other people will choose the same foods as you.

Does the nursery have a sound understanding of trans fats?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 15-Jan-07 19:10:40

If they say they are cooking from fresh, then that's exactly what they should do. That doesnt mean from a freshly opened tin/packet either.

Its lazy and penny pinching.

And bleugh at Angel Delight....

WelshBoris Mon 15-Jan-07 18:58:51

For £900 a month I would expect an actual Angel covered in fresh fruit and whipped cream.

With a big silver spoon

belgo Mon 15-Jan-07 18:53:00

I'm so shocked at 900 pounds a month, then serving angel delight.

WelshBoris Mon 15-Jan-07 18:50:00

This is your DCs health so dont take any notice of those posters who are playing down the importance of this. You're paying for a service and not getting it. And it's not just a MOT or having a floor fitted, this is your child.

I really think you need to speak to them about it.

Hope DD has some yummy food with you now

corblimeymadam Mon 15-Jan-07 18:46:34

NotAnOtter Mon 15-Jan-07 18:39:55

sooo nice I NEEED some

meanscottishbint Mon 15-Jan-07 18:36:52

Butterscotch mmmmm....

NotAnOtter Mon 15-Jan-07 18:27:59

i bloody love angel delight

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 18:27:48

glad to entertain greensleaves!

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 18:26:13

PMSL at "OMG!!!! What is the world coming to??"

Make way folks, it's the Brains Trust come to tell us all what's what

WelshBoris Mon 15-Jan-07 18:21:25

If Angel Delight turns you into someone who cant respect the fact that the OP pays good money, was told her child would eat fresh food, not shit in a packet, then I for one am glad my DD doesnt eat it.

Angel Shite my ass

Aloha Mon 15-Jan-07 18:17:16

This is from the Harvard School of Public health:

Trans Fats

Trans fatty acids are fats produced by heating liquid vegetable oils in the presence of hydrogen. This process is known as hydrogenation. The more hydrogenated an oil is, the harder it will be at room temperature. For example, a spreadable tub margarine is less hydrogenated and so has fewer trans fats than a stick margarine.

Most of the trans fats in the American diet are found in commercially prepared baked goods, margarines, snack foods, and processed foods. Commercially prepared fried foods, like French fries and onion rings, also contain a good deal of trans fat.

Trans fats are even worse for cholesterol levels than saturated fats because they raise bad LDL and lower good HDL. They also fire inflammation,(6) an overactivity of the immune system that has been implicated in heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. While you should limit your intake of saturated fats, it is important to eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils from your diet. (Manufacturers must now list trans fats on the food label, right beneath saturated fats.)

SoupDragon Mon 15-Jan-07 18:14:58

There are no pros to Angel Delight! I have a packet inthe cupboard if no one

Aloha Mon 15-Jan-07 18:14:57

No sadder than you posting on the same thread I think.

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 18:13:37

OMG what is the world coming too! ill leave you lot to fight over the pros and cons of a f**kin angel delight?! how sad.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Jan-07 18:13:29

I think it's more a case of needing to know exactly what your child is being fed so you can make your choice based on the truth.

pointydog Mon 15-Jan-07 18:10:48

Not saying anyone's being precious. But if other people are feeding your kids you have to make sure their ideas of good and bad food are the same as yours.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Jan-07 18:07:26

There's nothing much wrong with tinned spaghetti IIRC. It is at least all natural ingredients anyway.

Aloha Mon 15-Jan-07 18:04:36

In what parallel universe is carcinogenic fat a 'treat'?
As for not doing any harm, well we are only just beginning to realise the harm that trans fats do. Once upon a time people thought cigarettes were a nice harmless treat.

beansprout Mon 15-Jan-07 17:57:16

I wouldn't feed it to ds, have to say but the worst bit of this is that you are paying a lot of money and they are not being honest with you. That's just not good. I would speak to them and ask about the menus in some detail. I hate the idea that if you have an informed view on this, you are being "precious", ffs.

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 17:51:31

fanny, I enjoyed blue slush when I was little too, because my dad was too clueless to realise it was crap. Doesn't mean I'm falling over my own feet to funnel the filthy stuff into my own kids!

<<how are things, btw? Hope you're OK>>

fannyannie Mon 15-Jan-07 17:49:06

can't believe that none of you enjoyed Angel Delight when you were little - I know I certainly did - and it's not done me any lasting damage - wasn't like I was given it everyday......

Greensleeves Mon 15-Jan-07 17:47:40

lol @ tinned spaghetti and angel delight being a 'treat'

mine like a dash of engine oil on their Alphabites... bit of what you fancy does you good

pointydog Mon 15-Jan-07 17:38:46

If you have very strong opinions about certain foods, you should make sure you know in advance exactly what your child will and will not be given.

Or always feed your kids yourself.

smeeinit Mon 15-Jan-07 15:14:13

OMG! i cant believe such a fuss is being made over angel delight?!
if i were the op i would be very pissed off that i was told that everything was prepared from fresh and it wasnt.
BUT come on people its angel delight?!!
do kids not deserve a treat now and again?
my 2 had angel delight and tinned spaghetti on occasion when they were young and they seem to have turned into healthy strong young men!!
jeeeeeeez stop the angel delight bashing people!!

Aloha Mon 15-Jan-07 13:08:26

Oh, and I think it most unlikely that the Angel Delight and tinned spaghetti feature on a menu otherwise comprised of nutrient rich natural foods with plenty of fruit and vegetables!

Aloha Mon 15-Jan-07 13:07:10

What, I wonder IS worse than Angel Delight? It contains toxic transfats strongly associated with an increased risk of obesity and heart disease. It has sugar, a large range of non-food ingredients and, in itself no nutrients whatsoever. The milk will add calcium and vitamins but almost any other way of serving milk would be healthier. I wouldn't touch this muck with a bargepole, so why would I want my kids to eat it?

Iklboo Mon 15-Jan-07 13:06:08

My mum helped out a nursery last year. They gave the children (1yr up) lemon curd cream crackers as their afternoon snack but told parents they were given fresh fruit.

Plus leftovers of the 4yrs olds' mince & mash on Monday would be given to the 3yr olds on Tuesday etc

megandsoph Mon 15-Jan-07 13:00:56

It is annoying and no I think you have a right to be pee'd off when you pay so much a month. I would ask them when picking you LO up what they have had to eat.

Found out a few weeks ago that dds had been having smileys and sausage from their childminder most days and also pot noodles for lunch

fannyannie Mon 15-Jan-07 12:47:18

I LOVE angel delight...........

fluffyanimal Mon 15-Jan-07 12:45:05

Sorry to be the voice of dissent but there are many worse things than Angel Delight and tinned spaghetti.

If it were me I would ask to see a menu and if the majority of the meals contained a good mix of fruit and veg and non-processed meats, I would let the Angel Delight and spaghetti go. Such things every now and then will not harm your child.

Saturn74 Sun 14-Jan-07 11:20:28

Absolutely - the butterscotch version was practically organic!

pointydog Sun 14-Jan-07 11:18:11

Aw humphrey, I bet your ds was trying to tell you it's a packet of shite but you just wouldn't listen

Saturn74 Sun 14-Jan-07 11:17:39

Sorry, meant , not .

Saturn74 Sun 14-Jan-07 11:15:34

Angel Delight - two for £1 in Asda at the moment. DS1 and I had a little argument over the nutritional merit of it last week.
That leaves a lot of change from £900 a month!

pointydog Sun 14-Jan-07 11:12:52

Oh I realise it's a personal issue, just didn't think ofsted would complain.

alibubbles Sat 13-Jan-07 21:00:10

Would you eat it? If I wouldn't, then my minded children won't get it. I have to say, they have never had nuggets, fish fingers, pizza or any thing out of a tin, as it would be alien for me to buy it. My own children never ate these things either.
I think just the idea of tinned spaghetti is disgusting, sorry, but the thought makes me heave.

pointydog Sat 13-Jan-07 19:30:44

alibubbles, really?! Banned tinned spaghetti?!

Can't imagine childminders round me not giving it.

oops Sat 13-Jan-07 12:06:50

Message withdrawn

alibubbles Sat 13-Jan-07 12:02:32

If I gave my minded children tinned spaghetti and angel delight, I think Ofsted might say something!

I didn't know that you could still get angel delight, we had it, but I was a child of the 60's.

Fresh fruit , stewed fruits and plain yougurt or natural fromage frais is order of the day here!

LubyLoo Fri 12-Jan-07 23:54:36

DD's nursery food also seems to have gone downhill recently. Cake and custard yesterday and ice cream today. No fruit all day.DD is 15 months old.

I was wondering if it was due to costsaving. Not sure if I should discuss it with them or whether I am being too uptight. She is only there two days a week

corblimeymadam Fri 12-Jan-07 22:47:11

Cappuccino Fri 12-Jan-07 19:31:05

Angel Delight

mmmm

pointydog Fri 12-Jan-07 19:24:16

Yes puffling, I think one person's 'from fresh' could be hugely different from another's.

puffling Fri 12-Jan-07 19:15:17

I expect that to some nurseries 'prepared from fresh' means tin immediately emptied into microwave and Angel Delight not prepared in advance. I try not to think what dd is getting and as someone else said, it's not forever and you give good food at home. however, I wouldn't be worried about taking it up with them.

pointydog Fri 12-Jan-07 19:06:27

If the nursery has clearly stated that they prepare all food from fresh and if you have a clear understanding of exactly what they think that means, then yes, I can see why you're angry.

aviatrix Fri 12-Jan-07 18:41:49

Aloha Fri 12-Jan-07 18:35:06

I would be extremely unimpressed with my child being fed the worst sort of synthetic crap, which includes hydrogenated oils which are strongly associated with a risk of lifelong obesity and other horrors. And tinned spaghetti ffs. I wouldn't eat this crap and I wouldn't want my children eating it. Complain vigorously and tell them this:
Top nutritionists at Harvard have stated as follows:

"By our most conservative estimate, replacement of partially hydrogenated fat in the U.S. diet with natural unhydrogenated vegetable oils would prevent approximately 30,000 premature coronary deaths per year, and epidemiologic evidence suggests this number is closer to 100,000 premature deaths annually."

doormat Fri 12-Jan-07 18:33:26

ever thought that the cook might have been off sick

we had to deal with this in the nursery where I work this week
we were short staffed as it was and yet we all mucked in to prepare the meals, do the washing and clean the kitchen and meal area

i wouldn't object to the odd portion of spaghetti hoops, so long as the greater proportion of what was offered was fresh and healthy. though am raising eyebrows somewhat at the angel delight (what's wrong with yoghurt fgs?).

that said i really fancy a bowl of butterscotch angel delight right now [hormonal pregnant emoticon] can't have had any of that since 1981

mellowma Fri 12-Jan-07 18:28:24

Message withdrawn

Miaou Fri 12-Jan-07 18:26:00

I would ask for a menu from them and then check that they are getting what they say they are.

Tbh I think most nurseries give kids more processed foods than they either let on or than people are generally happy with. Dd1 had more ham sandwiches than I was comfortable with (like most days for tea ) and too many puddings/buns and not enough fruit. However I took the view that she got a good diet at home and it wasn't for ever - she is 9 now and eats a very healthy diet very happily. It's not done her any long term harm.

mellowma Fri 12-Jan-07 18:21:21

Message withdrawn

TheArmadillo Fri 12-Jan-07 18:11:46

If you were told they prepared everything from fresh and are then being told they have given her foods which are certainly not prepared from fresh then I would ask for an explanation.

corblimeymadam Fri 12-Jan-07 18:10:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now