Child on outing with one member of staff

(9 Posts)
MrsA2 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:13:41

My DD goes to a lovely nursery that's grown from a childminder, in her own house with some rooms now converted for nursery use. Small numbers of kids and four staff. Last week on the day I don't work I saw four children, three were preschool and one was younger as in a buggy (I think toddler rather than baby, almost certainly over 12 months) on a walk with one of the nursery staff. I was a bit surprised that they were out of the nursery without a second staff member - even though they would have been in ratio. Is this ok?

I know a childminder would be out and about with groups of kids on their own but I guess I thought nursery would be different somehow. I preferred a nursery to a childminder because I liked the security of having more than one member of staff around. (I know 99% of childminders are of course wonderful.) The nursery worker is 21 and level 3 so clearly competent but what if one of the kids had an accident and she didn't have a second pair of hands. When I saw them they were very close to nursery (5mins walk max) and it was less than an hour until lunch so doubt they were going far.

Am I worrying over nothing or would this concern you?

HSMMaCM Sun 10-Apr-16 20:19:23

Wouldn't concern me, but probably because our local nursery does this all the time. Ask them about their policies and risk assessments for outings if you are worried.

MrsA2 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:21:39

Thanks HSMMaCM. I guess I was surprised more than anything, reassuring to know that your local nursery does this too. I have only ever seen our nursery go out with at least two staff before.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 10-Apr-16 20:21:50

Wouldn't concern me - as a childminder she'd be within her ratios

ChessieFL Sun 10-Apr-16 20:23:23

Wouldn't bother me, as long as it's within ratio and they weren't miles away from the nursery.

MrsA2 Mon 11-Apr-16 07:28:46

Thanks all, good to know.

Groovee Mon 11-Apr-16 07:32:27

We have a 1:3 ratio for outings in nursery but try for 1:2. It was deeply concern me to be over that.

kimlo Mon 11-Apr-16 07:39:17

We cant go out on our own incase theres an accident or something happens to the member of staff. The ratios change when out as well.

insancerre Mon 11-Apr-16 18:55:20

Where I work we have a policy that says no member of staff should be on their own with children if it can be avoided
Its good practice to have 2 members of staff but not considered essential and isn't a legal requirement
If the setting used to be a childminders then they will be used to working on their own
I do know of an outstanding nursery that allows lone working and the staff take the children out going their own
Legally, ratios don't change when going outside but it dies need to be risk assessed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now