ATBU to suddenly announce two week closure?

(11 Posts)
moreginrequired Fri 19-Feb-16 14:45:16

My daughter is in a wonderful nursery. I put her into this one as they said they were open 52 weeks a year. They then closed for two weeks over Christmas and have now send within the newsletter, word that they will close for two weeks over the summer. AIBU to think they are taking the mickey? I need to put my leave a year in advance for the summer holidays ( I'm in the NHS) and we have booked our holidays for early in the holidays and cannot change it. To be this is unprofessional and breach of contract but is this normal I'm totally clueless!

HSMMaCM Fri 19-Feb-16 15:23:36

I'm surprised they said they were open 52 weeks. If you can find some paperwork where it says they are available 52 weeks, then show it to them and ask about the 4 weeks closure. It might be that they then change the paperwork to say 48 weeks, but it would still be interesting to see why they have done this.

moreginrequired Fri 19-Feb-16 21:50:21

I can accept the closure for two weeks at Christmas (despite the fact that I never get it) but to close for two weeks with this little notice I think is ridiculous.

They gave us a list of holidays earlier in the year public hols + one Glasgow holiday but that was it.

52 weeks is on their website rather than paperwork per se so not sure where that means I stand ...

insancerre Sat 20-Feb-16 07:50:32

That's not on
It is not very professional of them and is not giving any consideration to the parents using the nursery
I would write a letter of complaint to the manager, head office etc stating you chose the nursery because they advertise 52 weeks care
I would state that you do not accept the 2 weeks closure and you will be sending your child as normal

I imagine that the manager is on holiday and they have no cover, but that's just tough, they will have to get cover. The law does state that there needs to be a named deputy in the managers absence
Have they said why they are closing?
I'm a nursery manager by the way and could even imagine doing this.

Earlyday Sun 21-Feb-16 17:19:44

That's really bad! Is it a small nursery?

moreginrequired Mon 22-Feb-16 22:32:10

It is quite a small family nursery. The owner manager and her daughter (deputy) will be away too. The owners husband is the handyman/cleaner...

From what I hear from the staff they are too tight to pay any of the staff to act up and were expecting them to do it got practically nothing.

To me it's just so rude and ridiculous, but I seem to be in the minority of parents to be annoyed. Many of them right enough can take the time off work or have family to help out but to me that's hardly the point

moreginrequired Mon 22-Feb-16 22:34:44

Having said all of this I've been in tears half the day thinking I'll break my daughters heart to take her away from her friends and the nursery she loves but I don't think I've any choice. I can't get the time off and neither can or should DP.

madwomanbackintheattic Mon 22-Feb-16 22:40:25

If you believe they treat their staff badly, you may just be better off cutting your losses and looking for a place at a larger nursery where it isn't one family running the place. It sounds lovely and homelike, but not really what you need if you require 52 week provision.

I assume they are working on the theory that 5 or 6 months notice is enough for you to time your annual leave with their closure. They will learn pretty fast if everyone gives notice.

This will happen forever by the way. It gets even harder for school aged kids that require holiday care.

StitchesInTime Mon 22-Feb-16 22:50:07

It's extremely unprofessional of them.

DS2's nursery is also advertised as being open 52 weeks per year. They're open every weekday except bank holidays.

They have a get out clause about nursery closures in the contract, but this applies to extraordinary stuff like extreme adverse weather, epidemic illness, flooding etc, rather than routine staff holidays.

Brokenbiscuit Tue 23-Feb-16 00:38:33

I would take a screen shot of the website as evidence...before they edit it!

insancerre Tue 23-Feb-16 06:15:06

I would find a new nursery
They have no respect for their staff if they don't trust them or won't pay them enhanced pay to be in charge for 2 weeks
They have no respect for the parents if they fail to consider the impact of closing for 2 weeks
Makes you wonder how they view the children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now