Have I left it too late??

(18 Posts)
Littlepig8834 Fri 22-Jan-16 22:28:37

Looking at putting DD in nursery this coming April, been to visit a couple and I'm now worried I've left it too late as they both mentioned they may not have availability.
When I asked friends who have children in nursery, they said to start looking 3-4 months before I wanted her to start. I'm now wishing I started to look before she was born as at least it'd be sorted now.
I'm now stressing that we won't find her a nursery or she will be in one that doesn't tick all our boxes.
Any stories from people who have got their children in nursery in this short time frame will be nice to hear!

Rinceoir Fri 22-Jan-16 22:47:16

I had one month to find a spot for my DD, in London. Most nurseries have fairly constant movement of kids so I had several choices. Childminders are another option and less likely to have waiting lists.

YoniMitchell Fri 22-Jan-16 22:51:13

Where are you and how many days do you need (that will have a bearing)?

We're in SW London and registered DS 12 months before we needed the place (I was early second trimester!). We just got one that met our needs in time. Another nursery we registered with at the same time only had a place become available a month after he started. It's crazy around here as the best nurseries have waiting lists of up to 18 months for babies!

YoniMitchell Fri 22-Jan-16 22:52:44

Don't mean to panic you, btw!

Littlepig8834 Sat 23-Jan-16 09:17:59

I'm in Nottingham and looking at three days a week. Have more appointments booked next week so hopefully will find one we like and book in.

Archer26 Sat 23-Jan-16 09:26:04

Hi OP,

I'm in Nottingham too and found each nursery was different. Most of the more rural ones had a waiting list whereas the bigger ones nearer the city centre were OK. But like a pp said there's a lot of movement with kids so spaces may become available.

Saying that I did put my DS's name down when I was 8 months pregnant but my friend has only just put her little boys name down at 6 months old. Luck of the draw.

Where in Notts are you OP? I'm very near IKEA!

Littlepig8834 Sat 23-Jan-16 10:29:00

I'm the other side of Nottingham (Chilwell/Long Eaton). My friends all did it within 3-4 months in this area and I'm hoping I can do the same.

We do have willing grandparents, but I know how tiring it is looking after a little one so don't want to rely on them too much.

Hopefully the movement of children will benefit us!

HSMMaCM Sat 23-Jan-16 11:55:47

It might just be the time of year as most nurseries have spaces starting September when children go to school. Keep asking around though as you may find a space somewhere perfect.

didireallysaythat Sat 23-Jan-16 12:00:34

September is usually the easiest time to start a nursery place. We put our names on the waiting list the day after the 12 week scan. January is usually the hardest time to find a slot. If you don't need full time then Fridays are often quieter as lots of people (apparently!) don't need childcare on a Friday.

eckythumpenallthat Sat 23-Jan-16 12:02:40

I think it's very much depends where you live. I'm in the north west and we looked at nurserys beginning of October for a December start

whatsoever Sun 24-Jan-16 00:13:17

Totally area dependent. I looked at 5 nurseries, 8 months before needed - all had a space. I know other people looked when pregnant and only just got in. My SIL only looked 2 months in advance and had decent choices.

Chinks123 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:30:07

I started looking around July last year and she started last month, my top choice in nursery was all booked up already in July! But the one she is at now (which she and I both love) had space and it wasn't an issue at all, i only confirmed the space in November/ December so not long ago. You have time it just depends on your area as others have said, as to how many spaces certain nurseries have. You will find one though I'm sure! smile

Chinks123 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:31:59

I would never even think of looking for a nursery place when pregnant hmm it's a good idea though in future! I registered her at the primary schools as soon as she was born but didn't look at nurseries till I needed them really. I guess it also depends how in demand those nurseries are aswell.

blamethecat Sun 24-Jan-16 20:33:56

We were lucky in that a childminder let us down with very short notice and we got a fantastic nursery with less than two weeks notice.

janethegirl2 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:33:56

Are you nhs, as the nursery on QMC campus is great. Not sure if they only take kids from people who are employed by the nhs. Pm me if you want more details.

didireallysaythat Sun 24-Jan-16 22:23:43

chinks I guess you mean private primary schools, or you're not in England as I don't think you can register for a school place - you apply by Jan 15th for a school place September and then start praying it's a small year group/everyone moves away/the Ofsted score drops making it less popular. Makes nurseries seem easy !

Chinks123 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:02:29

didireallysaythat I'm in Yorkshire and no not private primary schools. All my friends had registered their babies for the primary schools at birth, I left it till she was one and thought I'd left it late! confused She's registered though so you definitely can do it, from what you say maybe it's not necessary to do it that early though grin

Chinks123 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:06:50

Just googled though and you're right about having to apply for places by the 15th January, so I'm guessing I would still have to do this even though I registered her..now I'm confused haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now