Nursery at 2 years old wrong or ok?

(6 Posts)
red1357 Sun 03-Jan-16 10:19:50

Hi. Just wondered if putting our 2 year old into nursery is good or bad for him?
I have read several artivles saying it is bad for them and causes aggresssion. But want him to play with other kids his age. And ease into school life before prinary school. Is 2 years old too young? Or is it ok? Want to do the right thing for him. And feeling torn as of course i still want him with me as well. But it's not in his best interests to not be able to be free to play and learn without mummy keeping an eye.

insancerre Sun 03-Jan-16 10:25:03

Going to the right nursery at 2 will be very good for him

BrianButterfield Sun 03-Jan-16 10:37:07

Well, many children go to nursery from a few months old, and they seem to turn out all right!

whatsoever Tue 12-Jan-16 10:51:16

Crikey, a nursery that turns a 2 year old aggressive would be a pretty shoddy one!

My DS has been at nursery from 12.5 months ie when I went back to work after maternity leave. I was very concerned as had always read pre-school children were better off in the care of a home-based parent. However I have been overwhelmingly delighted with his experience. His care has been fantastic and he enjoys his days. The children are taught being kind and caring to one another almost above anything else (obviously we teach that at home too but there is more opportunity to demonstrate it when they are all together for a period of hours a day).

I would honestly say I have no hesitation in recommending a good nursery to parents of pre-schoolers.

Millionprammiles Tue 12-Jan-16 13:15:14

Its natural to assume a young child is always better off with their parent but an alternative, experienced, nurturing carer can be a great influence. Its easy to fall into a habit of parenting in a certain way at home. I've found it helpful to have a second opinion, another carer who knows my child to make suggestions.

I'm always amazed by how dd insists on putting on her own shoes/coat, helping tidy up, eating independently, tries a wide range of new foods etc...all at nursery.
At home she can fall back into wanting mummy/daddy to do everything and rejecting anything new.

I've also noticed dd is free to pick who she plays with at nursery. At home she's limited to meeting the children of my friends - my choice, not hers.

If you have a sociable child who likes group activities they'll thrive at a good nursery. A more timid or sensitive child might need a quieter environment to start with.

Eminybob Tue 12-Jan-16 13:24:33

My DS is 18 months old and goes to nursery 2 days a week while I'm at work (I work 3 days - he goes to his grandma's the 3rd day). He's been going since he was 14 months.

He loves it and I think it has been really good for him. There is an element of learning as well as play so his speech and language development has really come on, and Its made him better around other children. Before he went he used to pull other babies hair, not out of aggression but just out of excitement. He doesn't at all now as he's used to being around other kids, and if he were ever aggressive the staff are trained to deal and discipline in the right way.

I didn't actually have a choice about whether I should put him on childcare or not, I had no choice but to return to work, but to be honest, now I have seen how much he loves it, I would put him in a day or 2 even if I didn't have to work.

It sounds like you are in a lucky position that you have a choice, I would do it if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now