Sleeping on mats at nursery - how do they adjust?

(10 Posts)
Queazy Sat 02-May-15 09:12:48

My 20mo is likely to go to nursery from 2yrs where they sleep on mats. She's currently at a childminders and sleeps in a cot, or out in the pram. I just can't imagine her adjusting and worried she'll be horribly exhausted as its a more hectic environment at the nursery too. I want her to have the activities and more kids around tho. Did any of your lo's adjust ok to sleeping on mats from 2yrs when they'd never done it before?

Thanks in advance - much appreciated

playftseforme Sat 02-May-15 09:15:54

My dd had always slept in a cot for daytime naps, but had no problems adjusting to sleeping mats when we introduced her to nursery aged 2.5. Maybe they are exceptionally tired, maybe it's a peer pressure thing?

ElizabethG81 Sat 02-May-15 09:18:37

Mine started nursery at 13 months. At that point, they would only sleep in their pram in the day, and had to be rocked to sleep. I was worried that they wouldn't sleep at nursery but from the first day they were sleeping in the nursery cots. They then quickly adapted to sleeping in their cots at home during the day on non-nursery days.

When they moved to the toddlers room when they turned 2, they just adapted to sleeping on the mats straight away. I think you'll be surprised - they tend to want to do what the other children are doing, and if your DD sees the others settling on the mats, then she'll do it too. Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll adapt quickly.

NotCitrus Sat 02-May-15 09:23:09

They just do. Dd's nursery has cots in the baby room (up to age 2) then mats for toddler room, so when it comes time to settle into toddler room they can be invitedto nap on a mat as a treat!

bobajob Sat 02-May-15 09:24:22

To be honest they won't be given an option - most nurseries need toddlers all the nap at the same time for staffing reasons.

Queazy Sat 02-May-15 09:55:40

Oh I'm aware she won't have an option - I wasn't expecting them to buy her a cot - doesn't mean she'll sleep tho wink The reassurance that they'll just adapt is really helpful. She's in a cot in a bedroom by herself at childminders so it's quite a shift

FishWithABicycle Sat 02-May-15 09:58:28

Kids at nursery do all sorts of things they won't do at home - picky eaters are often less picky. Clingy children are more outgoing. Herd instinct takes over and they do what everyone else is doing.

She'll be fine.

bobajob Sat 02-May-15 10:18:53

What I mean is, there won't be an alternative to nap time e.g. playing, in most private nurseries. If she doesn't sleep she'll still have to lie quietly and rest. So the likelihood is if she is tired she will sleep.

StormyBrid Sat 02-May-15 10:23:39

Mine started nursery a few weeks ago, just turned two. Until that point all sleep had to be alone in her cot in the dark. First nursery day she didn't nap, but every time since she's napped. Personally I think the staff are witches; they'be got her eating vegetables too. But it probably is mainly just peer pressure.

Queazy Sat 02-May-15 11:08:59

Thanks so much all. If they can get her to even touch a vegetable, I'll send her tomorrow wink She gagged on a carrot yesterday as if it were poison! I'm so, so glad I posted this as I've toyed with just keeping her at the childminders so she can still nap in a cot!! I want her to be amongst other kiddies her age more tho. Thanks so much - it's made such a difference reading all your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now