Should we pay more for our childcare? Radio 4 PM

(5 Posts)
hopingforanothermircale Wed 16-Apr-14 11:19:29

There was a v interesting programme on the cost of childcare on the radio last month. It's available as a podcast here:
www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ipm
A playgroup provider talks about the strain of childcare provision, running at a loss and with workers leaving to find better paid work in Asda and McDonalds...
This is really a scandal IMO. I've seen the low low wages paid at my child's nursery (which is part of a large chain) to women providing great care. At the same time, childcare remains unaffordable for many families.
We need a campaign on this. Childcare workers should be better paid and childcare subsidised!
Your thoughts?

I agree that childcare workers in nurseries are poorly paid but nurseries charge an absolute fortune!! So I don't think upping the cost to parents is the way to go!

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 16-Apr-14 11:47:32

I only know the financial ins and outs of one nursery, but they pay their staff well above average rates and still make a modest profit which goes back in on equipment updates etc. Staff are experienced and turnover is very low.

Its a pre-school run by the managers alongside a parents committee (major decisions) and has charitable status.

Proves to me that it is totally possible if you don't have shareholders/owners out to make the biggest possible profit iyswim.

Should be more childcare providers working in this way imho.

CaptainTripps Wed 16-Apr-14 16:53:53

Absolutely NO way should childcare be subsidised.

Hey - you chose to have kids. You pay!

Sparkle9 Wed 16-Apr-14 20:09:02

I know of a nursery which is not for profit. The staff are paid more than privately owned nurseries. Any surplus made is paid to staff as bonuses and used to buy new equipment etc. It works well. The charges to parents are in line with other providers and are usually a little less. Perhaps we need more like this rather than large for profit chains!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now