Went back to work three weeks ago. Already had to pick DD up 3x for 'bugs'.

(43 Posts)
Tiredemma Thu 27-Mar-14 14:56:27

I expected it to happen- but I haven't done a full week yet without having to go and collect her.

Does this phase generally last long? Ill get the sack at this rate!

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 15:46:46

It's stressful isn't it? Do you have anyone else who could help you out and take time off when she's sick?

Tiredemma Thu 27-Mar-14 16:14:06

No- there is nobody. My mum lives too far away and doesn't drive.

Its stressful and frustrating. Hoping she gets some decent immune system soon!

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 16:19:33

I hope you at least have a supportive boss, at least that will relieve some of the stress if you feel that they understand.

Depending on what you do, could you arrange flexible working so that you make up time at home in the evenings and weekends to preserve your annual leave?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Mar-14 16:22:08

Have you no partner or friends? What about her dad? It's his responsibility too.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Mar-14 16:22:54

Sorry. Meant to say partner, or friends that could step in?

Tiredemma Thu 27-Mar-14 17:09:18

Dp took a day off with her last week but is working away today/tonight but due back at 11am tomorrow- he will then stay at home and ill go into work (Friday is normally my day off).

I have friends but they all work so none that can be called upon for emergency childcare.

My Line Manager has been great- but I am concerned about the message I am sending to my staff ( I am a manager in NHS)- if I have to keep going off halfway through the day.

Nevercan Thu 27-Mar-14 17:14:39

What sort of bugs has she had?

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 17:15:23

I took it to mean you had no partner when you said there was no one.

Tiredemma Thu 27-Mar-14 18:28:46

No- sorry. I meant 'we' have no other help.

saffstel Thu 27-Mar-14 18:37:27

It's such a nightmare, 6 weeks for us and dd2 has had a cold basically the whole time! Now on a course of antibiotics !!

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 18:43:41

Ok, as long as he's doing 50/50 share OP. wink

Tiredemma Thu 27-Mar-14 18:47:42

Well- he doesnt get up at night!! So he isnt completely brilliant!

tallulah Thu 27-Mar-14 19:09:22

I was like this for the first few months of going back to work. I despaired of ever getting through a full week.

It does stop. Since DD has been at school she has only had a few odd days sick in 3 years.

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 19:51:19

Ha ha I meant doing his share of time off work.

LyndaCartersBigPants Thu 27-Mar-14 20:59:51

And now you're working too he should be helping at night as well!

Poosnu Thu 27-Mar-14 21:06:02

It lasted a couple of months for us, then gradually tailed off. It was very stressful but passes.

JRsandCoffee Mon 31-Mar-14 12:02:51

Just to say you have my sympathy, mine started in January and it seems to have been a loooooong winter. They tell me it will stop, hope that is soon!!! xx

Arohaitis Mon 31-Mar-14 12:11:58

I sympathise
we did end up moving one of our kids because we were convinced the nursery would pick one (or more if needed) to send home when they needed to even out their numbers.

there were other reasons to be fair but that was one of them

(don't think they were ever sent home unwell from the new nursery!!)

Coveredinweetabix Mon 31-Mar-14 12:27:15

Yes, it does pass but the attitude of the nursery matters too. If its after about 3pm & your child is just looking a bit peaky or is very tired, then they will call you to tell you but don't ask you to come & pick up immediately although I always do what I can to get there earlier but wouldn't, for example, cancel a meeting to get there. They also give calpol. Obviously if there's vomit involved you have to get there as soon as. This is very different to the other nursery in town which doesn't give calpol & you are called & asked to collect as soon as your DC has a slightly raised temperature.

Tiredemma Tue 01-Apr-14 19:14:54

covered that is what my DD's nursery is like-

They dont give calpol and called me out of work because her temp was 37.8- I told them that I was a nurse and not at all concerned with a slightly spiked temp - fell on deaf ears

Takesalongtime Tue 01-Apr-14 22:11:01

As a cm I often have children who are not 100% but need calpol & extra cuddles. Ob not with sickness but if just snotty cold etc then I keep them. As a mum myself I know how hard it is to get time off

mammadiggingdeep Wed 02-Apr-14 20:50:53

I've had my 2 dc in nursery for a year...only ever had a few calls to let me know they're giving calpol for raided temp, which them brought it down. I've never been called to ask to collect.

I don't think I'd be impressed with the set up you describe. Why won't they give calpol with parents signed permission?

mrscog Thu 03-Apr-14 17:32:52

When DS started nursery last year he was ill (as was I) pretty much non stop for 8 weeks, and then nothing since. Just bear with it and it will improve.

abracadabra2011 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:35:59

temp was 37.8- I told them that I was a nurse and not at all concerned with a slightly spiked temp

Thought about adoption? Your little ones health and wellbeing should be your primary responsibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now