What should I expect nursery to do?

(5 Posts)
Littlemisstax Mon 24-Mar-14 10:07:00

DD has been at her nursery three days a week for nearly 3 years. She is very happy there. X is new.

Last week I picked her up one day and she told me she'd hurt her lip as "X hit me with Y toy". I just reassured her and didn't think much of it. The following day she came out and said "X hit me in the Z room". I said to the staff that this was twice in two days. She said it had been logged and they are having problems with X and it's not just my DD. She came out on her third day and told me happily that "X wasn't there today."

So DD and X have two days in common. I'm obviously not happy for DD to be hit by X, but what should I be expecting nursery to do? I'm particularly concerned as DD is tiny and X is huge compared to her - and could do real damage. DD and X are in different keyworker groups already.

HSMMaCM Mon 24-Mar-14 12:52:15

I should think the nursery are keeping a very close eye on X, but these things can happen in the blink of an eye.

babybouncer Tue 25-Mar-14 22:22:58

I would expect to be told about these incidents by the nursery - not X's name, but the fact that it happened and how they dealt with it.
For example, a few weeks ago when I picked up DD I was told that she had been bitten by another child, that they had both gone for the same toy and the other child had bitten her, she got a cuddle and was fine and they showed me the little mark that was left. (I wouldn't expect to be told who had done it, though).

If I was the parent of the biter, I would expect to be told about the incident too so that I would know it was happening and what sanctions the nursery was using.

I've never worked in a nursery, but as I understand it, if there is a particular child who is an issue, the staff are aware and have strategies to target and avoid other children being hurt. Of course, it isn't always preventable - kids are kids - in which case the other party's parents need to know what has happened.

Boris13 Wed 26-Mar-14 06:13:16

The staff seem to be aware of it. Altho, they shouldn't of disclosed anything about this child.

They will hopefully be keeping a close eye on the other child and had a meeting with the other child's parents, writing a Idp (individual development plan) together for this child so all STAFF are aware and all following the same strategies with him.
At 3 I would like to think this gets sorted pretty quickly, it's alot harder when they are babies and don't understand..

If this continues then arrange a meeting with the staff and make sure they are doing things to protect the other children.

Littlemisstax Sat 29-Mar-14 14:43:36

Thanks ladies. X hasn't been at nursery this week (he's been ill) so we'll see what happens when he's back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now