Should I report to Ofsted

(13 Posts)
Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 16:40:30

I have serious concerns about my daughter's nursery but no clear evidence. I think they treat their staff badly and there is mismanagement of administrative issues. I have though never worried about my child's care.

I have found out today, from a former member of staff, that another staff member was sacked months ago for mistreating my child. Parents were told at the time of the sacking but given no details.

I am appalled. Surely the owners had a responsibility to tell me. The incidents that occurred sound like the result of poor management to me. Can I report this to Ofsted?

Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 16:41:30

I mean by the way that we were told this staff member had been sacked but not why.

I think that I would expect to be told if a member of staff mistreated my child. Much like I expect to be told if my child is injured at nursery.

I would also probably think about moving my child.

Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 16:47:01

I have removed my child immediately. I'm going to see whether they are entitled to keep my deposit given the circumstances which will involve a close reading of the contract.

You can of course report whatever you like to Ofsted. Ofsted will know what is/isn't within their remit and investigate if they think it is necessary. However you will need to think about whether the nursery will be able to identify who complained and what would happen to your relationship with the nursery. I don't know whether Ofsted keep the source of complaints confidential.

Sorry - cross post.

I'd expect my deposit back.

TiggyCBE Wed 26-Feb-14 16:55:17

They covered up mistreatment of a child. Depending on what it was you might be able to go to the police, let alone ofsted.

Take your child out and tell them if you don't get your deposit back you'll stand outside the nursery in the mornings and tell every other parent about them mistreating your child and the subsequent cover up. Once you get your deposit back, do it anyway. Some nurseries need to shut down.

Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 16:55:45

Thank you. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person to feel like that.

Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 17:06:29

I am going to tell everyone I know once I have my money. I live in a small place and am furious about this.

TheScience Wed 26-Feb-14 17:09:14

I would definitely report the fact that your child was mistreated and you weren't informed to Ofsted. I'd also want to know what information/notes the nursery have kept about your child and the incident.

Notsurewhattodonow Wed 26-Feb-14 17:21:01

Good point. Although I suppose that is the sort of thing Ofsted will ask for.

insancerre Wed 26-Feb-14 18:54:07

ofsted will take this very seriously, as this is a very serious safeguarding issue
report to ofsted immediately
i would also write to the nursery and ask for an explaination of what happened
the nursery have to by law keep a record of all written complaints and show them to ofsted if they ask to see them
it would be helpful if you could get some written statements from the memebr of staff who told you all this
bear in mind, that ofsted can only go on what they are told, and the nursery may well have covered it all up and have no record and may try to deny it, which leaves you in a difficult situation
the nursery may try to hold onto your deposit or threaten to sue you for libel if your claims can not be proved
at this stage, you might want to consider going to the police as the nursery will have committed an offence in not reporting to ofsted the allegations of mistreatmenat of a child
from the EYFS p14
"3.8
Registered providers must inform Ofsted of any allegations of serious
harm or abuse by any person living, working, or looking after childr
en at thepremises (whether the allegations relate to harm or abuse committed on thepremises or elsewhere). Registered providers must also notify Ofsted of the action taken in respect of the allegations. These notifications must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but at the latest within 14 days of the allegations being made. A registered provider who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence"

Good luck, I work in a nursery and the bad ones need to be closed down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now