Settling in at a nursery

(6 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:52:19

I appreciate it will vary with each nursery but I have had to find somewhere at short notice so ds has to start in less than two weeks, what is typical for settling in ? I know it's important but I also want to spend as much time as possible with him before returning to work ! Will call the nursery tomorrow to ask them but wondered about others experiences.

gallicgirl Sun 23-Feb-14 11:55:18

DD spent an hour at nursery with me there. An hour without me there, then two hours without me.
This took place over 4-5 days I think.

On the last occasion she was trying to sit down to lunch with the other children and didn't want to leave!

itsahen Mon 24-Feb-14 08:31:22

Mine was the same for DD - just a couple if 1hr sessions. . DSs nursery did 2-3 long accompanied sessions. I know people who were expected to go for up to 10 settle periods !!

curlyclaz13 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:53:47

Called them and we are doing three sessions next week leading up to a full day Thursday.

rallytog1 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:56:43

A three hour session followed by a week of shorter days. The week of shorter days was my idea, not theirs.
I know some people who spent weeks and even months on settling in. They seemed to have more trouble than those of us who took a more 'in at the deep end' approach. Two weeks should be fine.

NannyWaines13 Tue 25-Feb-14 06:22:14

The nursery I used to work in did 6 visits increasing in time each one.
1) 30-45 mins with parent then 1 hour on own
2) 2 hours
3) 4 hours (staying for lunch)
4) 5 1/2 hours (lunch & pm sleep)
5) full day (tea)
6) full day (coming earlier than others to have breakfast)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now