staff pay

(31 Posts)
principalitygirl Tue 04-Feb-14 13:44:14

Just saw a job advert for a level 3 nursery nurse in my son's nursery which is part of a large, international chain. £13,200 for full time!! Am absolutely shocked!

insancerre Wed 05-Feb-14 20:38:03

in our nursery the hours are 37.5 a week starting on minimum wage
I do 40 hours a week, I've got a degree and am an EYP and I only get £8.50 an hour
sometimes I feel so undervalued
BUT, I know I make a huge difference every day to lots of children and their families, and that difference will last a lifetime
that's why I do it

woollybobs Sat 08-Feb-14 19:35:44

I did the NNEB 20 years ago and work in the same private day nursery since. I earn £7 an hour. It's the best job in the world and I love it but the pay is terrible. But as someone else said you don't go into nursery nursing for the money!

principalitygirl Mon 10-Feb-14 08:47:05

I know people don't go into nursery work for the money but it more than merits being better rewarded financially IMO. Caring for children is a most important job and needs to be better rewarded. I'd happily pay a bit more every day for my son's place if it meant a wage increase for his carers and not just more profit for the nursery.

SarahPatricia Wed 19-Feb-14 16:39:18

Nursery workers wage is low, childminders earn sightly more and nannies slightly more still.
All the money the parents pay go to ofsted for registration, courses to maintain the ofsted reg and insurance!
Its a job we do out of love smile (i'm a nursery nurse working as a nanny)
All our extra time goes to finding a rich man lol!

needtobediscreet Wed 19-Feb-14 21:07:37

Sarah - I hope you find your Mr Rich! smile
I still think you all deserve better pay.

Nomorepeppapig Wed 19-Feb-14 21:13:08

Yep shocking pay. That's why I don't work in childcare anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now