Lack of interaction with children

(5 Posts)
mummymummymillionmillion Fri 22-Nov-13 16:55:12

I have visited three pre-schools as taster sessions and the three that i have visited, the children are walking around really bored. The staff seem to spend most of the time tidying up toys or chatting to each other. I really want a place where my DS is interacted with, not all the time but just a bit.

The one i went to today put the TV on for the children which to be honest I can do that at home. Any ideas on what to do? Do they have any structured days at any preschools from 3 years old?

chelsbells Fri 22-Nov-13 18:24:25

Never heard of a preschool with a tv..! Ours have computers but are restricted to time limits and to share so they aren't sat in front of them all day.

As your visiting ask to see their planning, and actually read it, it will tell you what is planned for children's learning and how it has been seen through and what the learning has been. Also ask to see a development folder of the children's... You'll see how much time they spent together by how in depth their folders are!

The children will be getting interactions but in preschool often the children are much more interested in playing with friends but staff should be involved in that play, not chatting to each other.

If you aren't seeing the interactions, you haven't found the right nursery yet. Or maybe try going at a different time... Maybe you were there during tidy up time?!

Hope you find the right nursery soon x

BettyandDon Fri 22-Nov-13 18:30:20

Yikes I get spreadsheets from our preschool with what the kids are doing. There are about 10 specific activities that the kids can select to do either by self (but the activities are set for up to 4/5 kids) with adult help where appropriate. Plus there is group / story / sharing / talking activities each day at the end. This is a 3 hr session. The children have 30 mins total free play when they arrive. It is definitely a semi structured session.

MollyMatey Fri 22-Nov-13 18:35:39

At DS's nursery school they has something like (3 hour session):
Welcome time
Free choice - either participating in adult led activities or doing their own thing
Group time - structured adult-led time in their key groups of about 8-10 children
Free play - inside and outside
Circle time - songs, stories etc.

I'm sure they also have tidy up time at the end of each free play session. No TV but they do have a touch screen computer they can choose to use.

mummymummymillionmillion Fri 22-Nov-13 18:41:28

Your nurseries sound like a dream, I just thought my expectations were too high. Guess I need to keep looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now