Can I get after schools pickup fees back?

(5 Posts)
carrieshannon Wed 06-Nov-13 20:19:23

My two DS have been in daycare, however I am taking them out as my mum wants to mind them. I gave 2 months notice as required. In September I paid for a full years of after schools pick ups for three days per week, which came to £300. Even though we have only used half of this the nursery is refusing to refund the other six months worth as they are 'non-refundable'!! Is this right, or should I bring it to small claims court? Thanks [Sceptical]

CaptainSweatPants Wed 06-Nov-13 20:21:20

Depends what it said in the contract you signed
I suspect it said fees are non refundable

CaptainSweatPants Wed 06-Nov-13 20:25:08

I've never paid a year in advance by the way
What if you'd been made redundant, got a new job with different hours, moved out of the area!!

carrieshannon Wed 06-Nov-13 20:30:22

The contract I signed says all about notice that needs to be given and what happens if you don't pick up on time or miss your direct debit but doesn't mention pickup fees, and then sneakily in the small print its says at the bottom 'see our brochure behind the reception desk for full financial terms and conditions'. That's the first time I have noticed this!!! Surely that has to be unfair, esp since I have given full notice??

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 09-Nov-13 19:10:16

I'm afraid that although you (and plenty of others) may feel that both the non-refundable issue and the x-ref to another doc are unfair neither is likely to be legally unfair and that is the only thing that would give you a claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now