Outdoor kindergarten

(8 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 25-Sep-13 22:16:34

The areas that outdoor nurseries tend to fail on are mathematics, ICT, and hygiene.

I was at an agricultural show recently and there was a 'tent' display with a large canvas tent with insulated roof and holes for wood burning stoves and things. Looked very cosy.

junkyardgyp Wed 25-Sep-13 21:10:42

Thank you very much for your comments, always great to hear. Yeah I agree completely with balance which is why we propose an indoor space (hopefully in form of cost yurt) for children to freely access. I do feel the entire curriculum can be taught outdoors, just requires well planned activities and resources. very aware that this type of provision is not for everyone and may well be an add on experience for many parents. Many thanks.

insancerre Wed 18-Sep-13 20:35:42

the outdoors should be used as much as possible but not all the time
I get fed up of being outsdie soemtimes and i'm sure the children do too
what is needed is a good balance
like tiggy says

kelda Wed 18-Sep-13 09:50:05

' It you like the idea of keeping children outside all day you will go fill it in. If you don't like the idea, you won't.

Exactly. Which is why I can't be bothered to fill it iin.

My friend's four year old son goes to an outdoor nursery, full time. I'm sure she would fill in the surveysmile

Itsaburrdiee Wed 18-Sep-13 09:47:44

I agree with one of the points above, in that I send my daughter to one once a week. She loves it, experiences things she wouldn't experience in her indoor nursery: climbing trees, balancing on logs, using tools - drills, hammers; cooking on fires/ fire safety; outside art and lots more. I don't however, see it replacing indoor nursery as a preparation for school.

Perhaps if there were stronger links to the school I would use it a bit more. I feel it should be a more consistent part of the curriculum. I would like to see my Primary aged child getting a bit more outdoor education too.

TiggyD Wed 18-Sep-13 09:36:36

And good luck if you do it!

TiggyD Wed 18-Sep-13 09:36:09

I'm totally against an outdoor nursery. In the same way I'm totally against an indoor nursery. Free-flow and continuous provision is about giving children choice to decide how they want to learn. In an indoor only nursery a child who learns best outdoors is screwed. In an outdoor only nursery a child who learns best indoors is just as screwed. Have balance and give a choice.

I am in favour of a nursery where the outdoors is as valued as indoors. The outdoors is fantastic for learning. In my experience most people are interested in setting up outdoor nurseries on a cost basis. No building means cheap.

Parents tend to say they like the idea, but usually go on to say they'd maybe like to send their child for a morning a week or something. They tend to see it like a 'paint your own pottery' place. Somewhere to go for a session. Not daycare.

Your survey will almost certainly give rather skewed results. It you like the idea of keeping children outside all day you will go fill it in. If you don't like the idea, you won't. The result will be near 100% in favour of outdoor nurseries.

BTW I'm a bug catching, den making, veg growing, experienced and qualified nursery worker and gardener.

junkyardgyp Tue 17-Sep-13 21:33:33

Hi interested in starting up asocial enterprise, so wondering if outdoor pre school interests you take a couple of minutes to complete this online survey. Many thanks
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MSDCYKW

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now