wobbly first couple of weeks

(7 Posts)
WineCheck Tue 10-Sep-13 19:36:27

DS 16 months has recently started nursery one day a week.

He loved his two settling sessions, was very happy and confident. His first full day went well too - there were tears when I picked him up but the staff said he had been fine all day.

Noticed a bit of a change in him last week, he has been very clingy when he is normally a very independant little thing.

Yesterday was his second full day and it was horrendous sad tears at drop off, could hear him crying when I called to see how he was doing and could hear him crying as I walked into the building to pick him up.

Do you think he will settle down? I cant bear the thought of sending him next week when it seems to making him so upset. I cant fault the staff they are amazing with DS.

Has anyone else found this during the first few weeks?

hettienne Tue 10-Sep-13 19:49:56

One day a week is really hard for small children. He will probably settle eventually but it might take a long time.

WineCheck Tue 10-Sep-13 20:01:55

Thankyou Hettienne do you think he should be going more often then? I only work two days a week and his grandma looks after him the other day, but they both really enjoy this DS squarks with excitement as soon aswe pull on to their drive!

I think I will see how he gets on next week - if he is still as upset and unsettled maybe think about a morning or afternoon session later on in the week so he gets more used to it?

hettienne Tue 10-Sep-13 20:06:52

I would definitely try to do at least 2 half days. Many nurseries insist on 2 days as a minimum for this reason.

cookielove Tue 10-Sep-13 21:26:44

I would split it, to two morning's or two afternoon's, if possible. The repetition of coming will help him settle quicker, then only attending once a week.

Things you can do to help him settle are:

1) wear a muslin around the house, in bed and give to your ds to have at nursery,the smell of you will help.

2) allow him to have a comforter at nursery, if he has one or let him take a favourite toy in.

3) let him have shorter days till he settles in

4) be positive. He'll pick up on your anxiety.

5) talk to the nursery about how you are feeling. Ask for their advice on what may help.

Hth

cookielove Tue 10-Sep-13 21:27:32

I would split it, to two morning's or two afternoon's, if possible. The repetition of coming will help him settle quicker, then only attending once a week.

Things you can do to help him settle are:

1) wear a muslin around the house, in bed and give to your ds to have at nursery,the smell of you will help.

2) allow him to have a comforter at nursery, if he has one or let him take a favourite toy in.

3) let him have shorter days till he settles in

4) be positive. He'll pick up on your anxiety.

5) talk to the nursery about how you are feeling. Ask for their advice on what may help.

Hth

WineCheck Tue 10-Sep-13 21:35:50

Thank you cookielove some good advice there. I thinksplitting into two sessions will be for the best, at least until he gets to know the staff properly and is more comfortable there.

I will have a word with nursery about how im feeling, it took me all my willpower not to go pick him when I heard him crying but I couldnt leave work. Hes actually been in very high spirits today, unless its relief at not going today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now