Advice from nursery workers please - not sure how to approach this....

(4 Posts)
hettienne Fri 04-Oct-13 20:15:39

I think at that age they should be following her routine. A good baby room will work with the baby's routine, not try to impose their own for convenience.

I don't think it is too much at all to expect the nursery to put her down according to her normal times.

Are you asking them to let her self-settle though? Maybe that's the problem if she cries. Could they rock or cuddle her to sleep instead?

ameliasmama89 Wed 02-Oct-13 23:41:42

Definitely have a good chat with the staff and let them know you want to keep little one to the same routine for as long as possible.

Also there are two things to to remember: #1) that lots of different noises and activities are going on around her which maybe be interfering with her sleep. #2) Babies gradually fall out of their home routine and into the nursery routine. This may be the transitional stage of that happening.

Hope little one settles and sleeps longer for nursery staff.x

grumpalumpgrumped Fri 16-Aug-13 16:14:17

Have a chat with your keyperson. It may well be that they are trying their best. It's not in their interests to have a tired baby all day either.

A good nursery will discuss this with you, reassure you and do all they can to help. I would come from the angle of 'I really need your help with her sleep routine whilst she is here because.....' rather than assuming they are not following your wishes on purpose. You will be able to gauge by their response if they really are trying.

surgicalwidow Fri 16-Aug-13 14:13:05

DD is nearly 7 months and has been in her nursery 3 days a week for about 6 weeks now since I went back to work. When she started at 5.5 months we ended up doing gradual retreat to teach her how to settle herself to sleep to enable her to nap in the creche. She whinges quite a lot when getting off to sleep (not upset, just shouting and singing type noises) and I suspect that this is having an adverse effect on her naps in nursery in that the staff avoid putting her down at the same time as the other babies. Which would be ok if she got her naps, but they are completely erratic on the days she is in nursery, and she is down to 2 or 3 twenty or thirty minute snoozes per day which just is nowhere near enough for her. I think the staff just put her down when it suits them not her, and she therefore ends up overtired.

She is a great napper at home - 8.30 - 10ish, 12 - 2 ish and 4pm ish - and while I understand babies don't generally nap as well in nursery as they do at home, I wish they would just try to stick to her routine in nursery. I'm also worried she'll get into the habit of catnaps. Is it unreasonable to ask them to try to get her to nap properly and to try to stick to my routine a little more? I don't want to create a bad atmosphere with the staff as in general they are doing fine. Or am I expecting too much from a nursery setting.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now