Anyone know what usually happens re a child repeatedly biting another?

(5 Posts)
YouHaveBeenOutbid Thu 30-May-13 16:23:23

This might sound a bit PFB but hopefully somebody that works in a nursery can advise me! My toddler's in a nursery that we're mostly really happy with. Over the past 6 months he's been bitten 4 times by the same child leaving bleeding and bruising on his face and arms. We're informed via a report form when we pick him up at night. They haven't told us who the child is, just that it's the same child and that the parents are mortified and pass on their apologies. I don't know many of the other parents so have no idea if it's just us affected or not.

If it was once or twice I'd think fair enough, toddlers have to learn what they can and can't do but 4 times is a bit much surely? What point does biting become a behavioural problem rather than just a toddler exploring? I don't want it happening again but short of removing him I don't see how it can be prevented.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

chelsbells Thu 30-May-13 16:45:21

Try and talk to your child Key Person if you have a concern. I've experienced this from working in a nursery and there are policy's the staff should be following if there is a child who regularly bites/hits/kicks other children. For us we 'shadow' the child, they are not removed from any situation (ie missing out on play time or missing out in story time) however there are staff within close proximity and just keeping an extra eye out. If this is a regular problem though the staff should know what triggers the other child, sometimes it's over a toy, being tired, bored and ensure these situations don't arise or if the child is old enough, explain why we don't hurt our friends. And its rarely just happening to one child, so has probably happened to other children in their group. Do talk to your child's key person though, they will be able to tell you what action is being taken to avoid this happening again! Hopefully!

Locketjuice Thu 30-May-13 16:53:46

Pretty much everything the above poster said sums it up smile

YouHaveBeenOutbid Fri 31-May-13 12:33:51

Thankyou. I've been putting off talking to them as they tend to be quite defensive when you bring up concerns and I have no idea what to say other than, 'stop this child hurting mine please!'. It's interesting to hear it from the 'other side' though!

debduck Wed 05-Jun-13 10:13:40

I'm glad they aren't telling you who it is, that's a pet hate of mine. Biting from toddlers is usually a communication problem and I would be deploying the tactics mentioned by the PP and checking the biters communication and offering interventions to help there. It's a real worry for you tho,but please go and speak to them, if they are that unapproachable then I'd leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now