Don't understand nursery fees

(13 Posts)
Kt1991 Sat 18-May-13 20:21:45

It turns out to be that the nursery fees come out on the 1st of every month (they forgot to add that part in the letter!) So the 89.00 we owed was for the remainder of May. So from the 22nd May to the 1st June. We did have to pay a months fee in advance, that was for the 268.00 which I mentioned in a prev comment smile

mikkii Fri 17-May-13 22:00:41

If the suggestion above is correct, then I think you have been quite lucky. We had to pay a month's fees in advance as a deposit. Then pay each month's fees by the 14th of the month.

Another reason the amounts may seem not to work out is that nurseries can smooth their fees cross the year rather than on actual sessions in the month. So our nursery is open 51 weeks of the year, so my costs are 2 days per week times by 51 weeks times the daily rate, divided by 12. And I also have to pay for all the bank holidays.

babySophieRose Fri 17-May-13 21:54:17

It could be that £89 is paid for April and the rest is the fee for May?

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 11-May-13 21:41:16

No problem - I reread my message and thought I sounded like I was telling you off!! shock grin

Hope you get it sorted

Kt1991 Sat 11-May-13 21:27:53

That makes sense the way you have explained that like that thanks! Yeah I said we paid £268 by credit card before he started in prev comment , but because they've said that direct debits not been set up properly yet they need it paid either by card cash cheque in person! Will see what happens Mon! Thanks for your help smile

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 11-May-13 21:20:43

Okay, so you haven't explained how you have paid for April. I think what may have happened is that the £268 has paid from 22nd April to 22nd May, and the remaining £89 covers you until 31st May. If that makes sense?

I have a similar problem, DH drops dc's and DM picks them up so I never know what's happening! I email them from work, it's easier!

Kt1991 Sat 11-May-13 21:14:00

Sorry I didn't see your comment underneath, £268.00 is the monthly fee, and nope the lady said that it was May that we owe the £89 for. It's annoying cause I don't drop or pick my DS up so never get the chance to go there. And it's a bit confusing doing it on the phone! Will get MIL to query on mon I think!

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 11-May-13 21:04:04

Again, so how much are you paying for 1 months's care?

Would the £89 be for the April fees and they have taken the first amount to cover May's in advance?

Kt1991 Sat 11-May-13 20:58:49

It's not the bank hols I'm worried about its the fact we paid £268 upfront which should really cover a 'month' in total but it doesn't so can't understand why they wont allow the remaining money to go towards mays fees. And £89 is a lot for what would of been 2 half days for may do far! If that makes sense it should of only been £66

PoppyWearer Sat 11-May-13 20:55:07

Sorry but yes, you have to pay for bank holidays (the fees are averaged out over the year but this is why lots of people don't do Mondays at nurseries) and yes, you have to pay a month in advance.

A friend once disputed the bank holidays thing with her nursery but got nowhere, it's standard practise.

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 11-May-13 20:54:31

We have to pay for bank hols anyway.

So what are you actually paying for a month's care?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 11-May-13 20:52:19

Many nurseries charge for bank hols even if shut, I'm a childminder and charge in advance for each month could this be what the charge is?

Kt1991 Sat 11-May-13 20:50:01

My DS started nursery on the 22nd April, and we were told that we wouldn't have to pay a registration fee because he wasn't on a waiting list, we needed him to start straight away. Anyway we received a letter at the end of March stating that we had to pay £268 by the 8th of April so my partner put it on his credit Card, we also thought that this would pay for the month as that's the cost for him to do 8 1/2 days in total out of the month. We've now received a letter this week telling us we owe £89 for mays fees but we don't see how this works as he's not had a full month! And he couldn't go there on Monday because of bank hols. When I queried it with one of the workers she said it was to secure the place and because he joined at the end of the month that's what we owe! Feeling quite annoyed about this because it it was explained to me a bit more I would of made the start date the 1st. We are getting help from tax credits but still we've had to fork out the £268 already! Anyone else been in this situation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now