Thoroughly dumb question: which day to send DD to nursery

(13 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 20-Mar-13 10:14:25

Who likes to work on Fridays? Why not have that day off and have a decent weekend?

Friday is usually quietist. Then Monday. Not much between the middle days, but Wednesday usually is slightly busier.

flossy101 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:51:54

I've been looking round nurseries too for my DS and they all said Friday is the quietest day ( we've had all appointment on a Friday as DH doesn't work Fridays) and think the nurseries said the reason is people alway choose Fridays as a day off so even if their child is booked to attend on a Friday they might not be there if parents are on leave and it's a popular day to have off if u work pt

If you can choose any day, it might be worth asking the nursery about what activities are available on which days. Sometimes a nursery will do, say, yoga every Thursday but not on other days.

It's also worth thinking about the schedules of other stuff you'd like to do. Is there a class you'd like to take the baby too once s/he's born? You could send your DD to nursery on the day that class was on, for example. Make it work for you.

There isn't a 'best day' to be in nursery.

Mrskaylovescake Tue 19-Mar-13 13:33:49

I had this too. I went for Monday morning and Friday morning. One down side is that around here most people work mid week so lots of groups/classes happen on Monday and Friday which I wasn't bothered about when he started nursery at 17 months but now he's a bit older I find I'm looking for groups etc and they are few and far between mid week here.

ReetPetit Tue 19-Mar-13 13:27:02

thats great for your dd Startail - unusual though ime. having worked with children for nearly 20 years, i have never known one settle easily when doing one day a week. they are normally back to square one again by the time you see them again after a week!!

Teladi Tue 19-Mar-13 13:18:57

The nursery may close for bank holidays. If this is going to be an issue for you (as it was for me, I have to work bank holidays or take from my annual leave) then don't choose Mondays.

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 13:18:55

I suppose I should add DD2 is a very sociable child and got very bored of being stuck with just me when DD2 was at preschool and then at school.

She loved nursery, still aged 12 remembers it fondly and waves as she drives past.

Startail Tue 19-Mar-13 13:15:43

DD2 did Wednesdays from 18 months until she started school. I didn't want Fridays as we had a nice local toddler group.

She loved it. I'd def do one long day as two short ones guarantee pick up is babies nap. DD2 only got a nap at nursery in Wednesdays because we had to pick up DD1 from pre school. Also you can get stuff done in a whole day that you can't in half a day, especially if it involves traveling time.

Also having done 9-5.45 at nursery DD2 was totally in phased by 9-3.20 at school.

desertbaby Tue 19-Mar-13 13:08:37

I think Fridays are generally quieter as parents who have gone back to work part time often take their day/s off on a Friday.

My son went to nursery at 13 months, he didn't settle in properly until he started doing two sessions over two days after a few months. I agree that once a week can be harder for them to settle into.

Two shorter days could be a better compromise.

ReetPetit Tue 19-Mar-13 13:02:59

fridays are fine, normally quieter and you avoid being charged for bank holidays, however, do you need to send your dd to nursery? are you working? i'm only asking as having worked in nurseries/as a nanny and now a childminder i can see no benefit to a 1 year old child of being in a nursery setting especially as its only 1 day a week. It will take her a long, long time to settle - 1 whole day a week, a long day for a 1 year old and then nothing for the next 6 days, they have to get used to it all over again.

if you have been offered 2 sessions you might find she does better with 2 shorter days or even better a childminder - nurseries aren't great for such young child particularly just for 1 day ime.

Ambrosial Tue 19-Mar-13 12:50:14

Thank you smile

I suspect it really is that simple- I just live with a constant suspicion that I'm missing the obvious at the moment!

IsItMeOr Tue 19-Mar-13 12:15:01

The only reason I've come across is that if you want to take long weekends away, you will end up paying for childcare you don't use on those Mondays/Fridays. It definitely seems to be quieter on a Friday at our nursery too.

Ambrosial Tue 19-Mar-13 12:07:00

Hello all,

Please bear with me- I know this sounds incredibly daft...

We're about to send our 1yr old DD to nursery: we're only sending her for 2 sessions, and we're thinking of sending her for one whole day rather than splitting it over two.

Having chatted to the nursery manager we're thinking of sending her on a Friday as that's their quietest day: we're unlikely to get a day mid week at the moment, but they also had Mondays available.

My question is: I know some people are a bit hesitant to do nursery on Mondays and Fridays unless they have to- is this because they don't want to be committed to days each side of the weekend (which I totally understand for other families, but doesn't apply to us), or am I missing something really flipping obvious?? I've also heard about people being charged for bank holidays even though nursery is closed- does that sound right?

I have complete flexibility about when to send her- it genuinely doesn't matter to me what day of the week it is. My husband work freelance in the entertainment industry and works weird hours: he works 6 days a week so we NEVER have a full weekend off, and often works bank holidays too. (I literally cannot comprehend what it must be like to work 9-5ish and have weekends off wink grin )

Am I dim? I am pregnant with baby number 2, so it is highly possible probable that I've just got a bit stupid. Is there any difference at all in which day you pick or is it purely down to personal lifestyle and requirements?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now