Am I paying too much for nursery place?

(34 Posts)
Clareada Thu 22-Nov-12 11:07:31

Hi Folks - Our son is 2 and goes to nursery 3 days a week from 9-5. The fees went up in April by £1 a day to £41 per day and today we've been informed that they're going up to £45 per day from January. £4 seems like a big increase to me, but the nursery have assured us, they are still competitive compared to other nurseries in the area. We live in the London borough of Southwark. Can anyone advise on how much they are paying so I can figure out whether to complain or not? I've tried to do some research but can't find any nurseries in the area who advertise their charges.
The nursery place includes 2 snacks and lunch by the way, but not nappies or wipes. We pay for 52 weeks of the year.
Thanks!

PearlyWhites Tue 27-Nov-12 19:25:06

I pay £32.50 8-6 including three meals and wipes. I live in the north west.

Mandy21 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:26:12

Pearlywhites wow - thats unbelievably cheap shock

sanam2010 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:39:11

Xenia, though I doubt they drive Bentleys myself, I know for a fact that our nursery owners - a couple who runs just this SW London nursery on fees of about £60 per day - are putting four children through Central London prep schools with their income - and they only have this nursery as a source of income. So clearly if well managed and run, it can provide good profit. I am happy to pay that though - it's also a very risky business for owners. They tend to have high upfront investment and also run a lot of risk - if ever there is a scandal / health or safety scare, they can be shut down and lose everything, so it's definitely not easy money.

EnolaAlone Tue 27-Nov-12 20:58:01

I was paying £37.50 a day in Derbyshire last year, and it used to go up by about £2 a day every year.

BrawToken Tue 27-Nov-12 20:59:40

£42.50 a day, Edinburgh

BrawToken Tue 27-Nov-12 21:00:58

Mind you, It was £46 per day until my dd turned three smile

Xenia Wed 28-Nov-12 10:50:47

I was advising a nursery business and it did not seem untypical and they were making a loss! I have seen people on mumsnet writing about how to make a nursery pay. Like a private school most of what you take in goes out on wages. If you have a chain of them I suppose it might make a lot of profit but the state imposed ratios of child to staff probably also has a major impact on profit too.

shartsi Wed 28-Nov-12 10:55:27

£48 a day in the London borough of Redbridge.

Emsmaman Wed 28-Nov-12 12:53:15

Seems cheap to me, we pay nearly double that for greater london

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now