Nursery in Oxford

(17 Posts)
lizzywig Tue 04-Dec-12 19:38:56

Charllie - I would be genuinely interested to know what is so bad about KU?

My DH is the chef for the one on the business park in Oxford, in fact he just won KU chef of the year and he loves it there. I know the manager well (in fact DH catered for her wedding) and to say she cares about what she does and the welfare of the children is an understatement. SIL also works for KU as does their Uncle's brother and they both love it. Having never heard of KU I later discovered that an old friend of mine worked for them for 6 years before I knew her, she loved it there but had to leave because the pay wasn't enough for her. Funnily enough I have another friend who works at the Waterways one and she says it's like a second home, best job she ever had (again, apart from the pay). DD (1yo) goes to the one on the business park where DH works and every day we take her in she bounces up and down and as soon as she sees the staff she flings her arms around them squealing with delight.

I'm not trying to sell you KU at all but I'm quite taken aback to hear that it's such a terrible place. From what I've seen the children are so happy there and the staff are fantastic. Perhaps it's like all places, some great and some awful!

GingerPCatt Sun 02-Dec-12 07:31:19

Don't know about nurseries, but my DS goes to a lovely child minder off horsepath road. Pm me if you'd like the name. Her rates were about the same as the montasorri nursery that we considered.

GinMonkey Sun 02-Dec-12 07:25:50

DD is 8 months and has been at Pippins for the last 2 months - they are brilliant and she loves it. The key person approach works really well there as she's bonded really well with hers. I was freaking out about it all at the beginning but they really helped make a smooth transition for both DD and I.

charllie Wed 21-Nov-12 22:02:31

I looked round the one in the slade nursery for my daughter and really liked it. Ended up taking her to another and didn't like it, but she started school not long after. If I think of any, or friends that work in nurseries do, I'll post back here. Where I work the minimum is 2 years other wise I'd go there lol

She'll be just shy of one year old and I need to go back in May, so we do have some time but I had no idea that waiting lists would be so long! We live in Headington and the Slade nursery would've been perfect so hopefully people will drop off the waiting list and we'll get in.

charllie Wed 21-Nov-12 21:35:44

How old will your child be when you need childcare?

charllie Wed 21-Nov-12 21:31:51

She loves it there and he's happy (meant to add that to the last post lol)

charllie Wed 21-Nov-12 21:30:55

I live near BMW. A friend of mine takes her son to the cooperative nursery in blackbird leys. That's the one downfall for the one in town, getting there each day. I'm the same, I have to go back to work

Yes, the more I read about them the less I'm happy. Back to the drawing board... sad

St Thomas sounds lovely but getting into city centre every day isn't feasible - DH works outside Oxford and I'm based near BMW. Sigh!

(I am hating this search. I wish I could just stay at home but it's career suicide.)

charllie Wed 21-Nov-12 21:06:11

I would not recommend kids unlimited!! I've worked in nurseries for 13+ years and would never work in one, let alone send my child to one.
I looked at the St Thomas one and it looks lovely. Will keep looking and will also be asking friends who work in nurseries what they'd suggest too smile

Looking at the moment too!

Slade nursery is lovely but full til at least June 2013. We're on the waiting list but not hopeful.

Went to see the Roundabout Centre nursery which was nice, and Kids Unlimited at the business park - those two are the frontrunners so far.

Still want to see Pippins at the NOC; didn't like Sandfield. Heard good things about Julia Durbin (at the Churchill) but I heard the same things about Sandfield and it just didn't feel right. And it's the same company I think.

Any other recs in Headington?

charllie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:43:45

Oooh thank you, not heard of that one before. Just been reading about it, sounds very good! Shall have a look around and maybe get in touch with them. Wouldn't need a place til next July at the earliest anyway smile

kw13 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:54:23

My DS went to St Thomas' (near the town centre, opposite the Said Business School). I cannot recommend it highly enough! He LOVED it, we loved it, everyone loves it. It's run as a parent trust so not owned by a company and treats all staff, parents, and children with respect. Quite long waiting list at the moment I think, but worth ringing and finding out. My DS went at 11 months and stayed until he was 5! Happy to correspond more directly if you like.

charllie Sat 10-Nov-12 20:36:17

Wasn't thinking was I, when I posted lol. Would be for under 1, I work in east Oxford so surrounding areas. Term time only would be ideal but I doubt there is one that offers that for so young

EBDTeacher Sat 10-Nov-12 18:40:09

You might need to say which part of Oxford and what age (ie pre-school or day nursery/ baby room type provision).

I've heard good things about the montessori at Wolvercote. I think it's called Forest Farm?

charllie Sat 10-Nov-12 18:14:08

Anyone?

charllie Sun 04-Nov-12 08:59:45

Can anyone recommend one in Oxford??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now