This topic is for non-members looking for MN users' input; there is a £30 fee.

Please help with this important parenting research.

(11 Posts)
MEDIA: Mala Bhaumik Wed 01-Jun-16 18:50:47

Hello,
Please would you help me? I am a mum, a mature student studying psychology at Sheffield Hallam University and, as part of my course, I want to do some research into an important, but difficult subject. If you are the parent of a child in primary school, you can help as long as you’re prepared to think about a challenging area of parenting. If that hasn’t frightened you off, please keep reading. Are you willing to answer a short questionnaire about talking with your children about death?

Yikes, I know it isn’t the most cheerful use of 10 minutes of your precious time. I’m asking for your help because I think your contribution will make a difference (and I need to graduate!). Today’s kids are bombarded by a constantly rolling 24-7 media onslaught of death, destruction and loss, never mind what might happen in their own lives, but it doesn’t seem to convert into a meaningful discussion of our own mortality. It may be that talking about death at a personal level is too difficult, too sad or inappropriate. Your answers to this questionnaire (quick, painless and mostly just statements to which you need to select an answer from a scale) might lift the lid off this and help me to learn something that’ll be useful to parents and their children.

Here’s the url to the questionnaire: shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_79fZwO3NSPpiCC9

But before you go there, I would like to say that even once you’ve started filling it out, you can stop at any time. All the data is anonymous and you won’t be hassled for anything by me ever again.

If you’ve read to here and still want to help, then please click on the link above, but if you choose not to then that’s okay too. Thank you very much for your time. Please get in touch if you’d like to ask me about this research or would just like to share something about talking to your children about death.

My email address is mala.bhaumik@student.shu.ac.uk

Yours truly,
Mala

SecretSpy Wed 01-Jun-16 19:00:48

Done. Interesting topic.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 01-Jun-16 19:16:22

Also done.

Kenworthington Wed 01-Jun-16 19:19:02

Done.

WatchMeSoar Wed 01-Jun-16 21:03:57

Done,
Good luck with your degree.

Gizlotsmum Wed 01-Jun-16 21:13:29

Done. Interesting and made me think

amistillsexy Wed 01-Jun-16 21:28:44

Done. An interesting and important topic. Well done OP. I hope you do well with your degree.

WatchMeSoar Sat 04-Jun-16 00:31:15

Bump

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 09-Jun-16 14:36:15

Done.

user9733 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:22:40

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your input. It is a great feeling that comes from thinking about all the mums who have chosen to help me. You make me feel hopeful that I will manage to complete this dissertation. I have found studying and parenting a difficult combination to get right.

By the way, I would like to hear from dads as well. I'm trying different ways to access their input. I would welcome any ideas. If any of you know fathers of primary school aged children who might want to consider this sensitive, important topic, please send them my link.

Here’s the url to the questionnaire: shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_79fZwO3NSPpiCC9

Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm still collecting and only half way to my target, so please join us if you'd like to.

Gratefully,
Mala

user9733 Sun 10-Jul-16 10:47:42

Good morning,

I am sat in the library on a Sunday morning feeling guilty about not playing with my daughter. Don't worry, she's with her dad. Today is my deadline for data collection. I have to close the survey tomorrow morning and start the analysis. I cannot thank all of you enough for completing it and many of you have also shared additional, personal detail. I have been very moved by your input. You have all made me think about this topic in different ways than I expected.

If anyone has a spare moment today and would like to add their views on talking to your primary aged children about death, please go this url: shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_79fZwO3NSPpiCC9

Thanks very much,
Mala Bhaumik

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now