I feel a bit of a fraud

(11 Posts)
Mariannedreams1 Mon 11-Apr-16 09:32:45

....as I don't have children (a sad sort of choice, sort of not a choice) but I am a de facto stepmother to a 22 year old young woman. This relationship is very difficult and making the three of us very unhappy. I really want to talk to people about it but my partner is ten years older than I am, so I don't have friends with steps the same age. I am hoping it's OK to be on Mumsnet even though I don't have a real child. What do you think?

PurpleDaisies Mon 11-Apr-16 09:34:09

There are loads of us without children (not even step children). It is perfectly fine to post here.smile

EarthboundMisfit Mon 11-Apr-16 09:34:15

There are plenty of non-parents on mumsnet, and anyway, you are a step-parent. Try out the step parenting board x

PurpleDaisies Mon 11-Apr-16 09:35:04

There is a step parent section that might be particularly helpful to you, or maybe the relationships board.

guerre Mon 11-Apr-16 09:37:01

I think you have a great taste in literature, so you'll be more than welcome! smile
There is a step-parenting board if that helps. Relationships might be helpful too.
Lots of people on here don't have children, some of whom are v unhappy about that.
There are lots of opportunities for all sorts of conversations on here- here's hoping some are informative, some useful, and some fun flowers

PovertyPain Mon 11-Apr-16 09:41:11

Don't worry OP. There are loads of women without children on here, some through choice, circumstances and some don't even like children! I'll let you into a little secret. There are even MEN on here shock

Just on piece of advice do not post on AIBU about your stepdaughter. You'll get torn apart, even if she's 49 and the nastiest fucker on earth. Some people automaticly blame the step mother and you'll get the usual "you knew he had a child, when you met him, bla bla bla" hmm

Better to post on the step parents thread or even in chat if step parents is too quiet.

Mariannedreams1 Mon 11-Apr-16 16:40:59

thank you so much, everyone - I was so touched that I actually had a little tear in my eye. Going to try to write this out now, on the step-parent page, and be concise enough so that I don't bore everyone to death...

Mariannedreams1 Mon 11-Apr-16 16:41:48

And thank you for the literature praise! one of my favourite books ever....I even re-read it recently, at the grand old age of 46...

guerre Mon 11-Apr-16 23:51:03

smile

paxillin Sun 17-Apr-16 23:17:07

Some mnetters are parents, some are steparents, some are neither and some are both. You can have fun talking about books, tv, join some bunfights on AIBU... I'm sure you'll have fun.

Babymamamama Sun 17-Apr-16 23:22:31

If you are a step parent you are a parent. Don't feel a fraud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now