Leaky Nappy Nightmare

(12 Posts)
Fireybird Mon 14-Mar-16 22:55:33

I need a bit of assistance. My DS, 22 months has had a sudden explosion of teething with several teeth including three molars pushing through at the same time. When he's teething he grumbles a lot at night and wants to drink a lot more. I give him very watered down milk as it's the only thing that seems to calm him down, it must be comforting for his poorly mouth. The problem is, at the volume he is drinking, his nappy leaks every night and he wakes up early sodden. He's only getting through his evening milk (200ml) plus probably another 300ml of watered down liquid before the leakages occur.

When he's not teething he doesn't drink as much or at all, and it's not a problem. He's getting enough liquid during the day and he's been checked over, there is no underlying issue.

So my question is how can I stop his nappy from leaking, or his he condemned to feel soggy for the next few weeks until these sodding teeth come through?

candykane25 Tue 15-Mar-16 12:40:31

Just an idea, maybe get puppy pads for the bed instead of the more expensive toilet training bed pad things, to catch any leaks.

FusionChefGeoff Tue 15-Mar-16 12:50:37

What size nappy is he in?? Could be worth going up a size for nighttime

Fireybird Tue 15-Mar-16 13:50:24

He's been in a 5+, moved him up to a 6 recently but still leaking. Last night I changed him at 1am and it still leaked. 😕

candykane25 Tue 15-Mar-16 16:53:47

Two nappies?

blamethecat Tue 15-Mar-16 16:57:29

Try a different brand nappy ? Is he waking during the night for a drink , change the nappy then or can you manage a stealth change before you go to bed ?

GothicRainbow Tue 15-Mar-16 17:00:09

Could you pop him in a pull up and then a size 6 nappy over the top of that? Don't imagine it would be too uncomfy and might just help catch any leakage.

I would also change him when he wakes in the night.

FurryGiraffe Tue 15-Mar-16 17:31:43

You could try popping a reusable booster (such as this www.thenappylady.co.uk/nappy-boosters/basic-nappy-booster.html.) inside the disposable. They absorb loads. The downside is you have to wash them, but easier to do that than keep changing sheets!

Fireybird Tue 15-Mar-16 19:27:12

Ooh FurryGiraffe that is a good idea! I had though about changing brands too, it's got to be worth a try. Thanks everyone!

Jw35 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:39:33

When my Dd was about 3-4 months she used to leak at night due to night feeding etc. I found that putting a nappy on back to front over the top of the original nappy resolved the issue! I used pampers (although it probably doesn't matter about the brand)

SmallBee Wed 16-Mar-16 21:30:48

DD was a bit like this a while ago. We had to just grin and bear it a little but with we had either put one of those big absorbent pads down or double nappied!
Good luck!

Toomanyhyphons Thu 21-Apr-16 22:54:06

I agree with the booster tip! I found the same advice for DD2 who is now 7 months and pees for Great Britain. I got bamboo liners from eBay and went up a nappy size. No more leaking yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now