This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I forgot to put ds's night time nappy on last night

(54 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Fri 02-Nov-07 09:56:36

and he was dry in the morning

is this it then? Do we just ditch the nappies? He is 4.5, has never really had a dry nappy in the morning but I have suspected he maybe just wees in it in the night / morning because it is there

did not especially want to experiment and find out as I am often up with him in the night anyway (wants a cuddle, bad dream etc) and didn't want "mummy I need a wee" and early morning wakings to add to this, really

I had better bite the bullet, hadn't I?

oh god I am quite tired already, how long is this likely to disturb his sleep for in anyone's experience?

Pollyanna Fri 02-Nov-07 10:03:22

that's how I night trained my dd - I forgot one night and she was dry, and I never put it back on.

We did have a few accidents, but I worked out that these only happened if she had a drink before bed.

I think go for it!

notnowbernard Fri 02-Nov-07 10:12:55

DD1 is 3.10, and has only had one dry night nappy ever. I think I'm going to wait until she has a consistent run of, say, 7 dry nappies in the morning before braving it!

She is also of the 'If I'm wearing a nappy I might as well wee in it' disposition... so I might be waiting a long time!

royKinnear Fri 02-Nov-07 10:14:14

yes that is how it happened with dc4!

royKinnear Fri 02-Nov-07 10:15:21

not long - well not at all - the odd wet bed but that should be it

hoxtonchick Fri 02-Nov-07 10:17:01

this is exactly what happened with ds, he was a bit younger than your ds. i think he has wet the bed twice since & now he's almost 6. he very very rarely gets up in the night for a wee. hope it's as easy for you.

NBheebieGeebies Fri 02-Nov-07 10:17:12

Go for it franny!

It was my dh who decided that we should just go for it with dd and the first 3 nights she was totally dry.
We did have a few accidents after that but only a few.

Best tips I can give you are buy 2 waterproof sheets so you have one on and one at the ready.
Have a pile of clean sheets to one side in his room so that if he does have an accident your not trawling through cupboards to get out clean sheets.
And before you go to bed, lift him out of bed and stick him on the loo. You'll probably find he'll be really sleepy and not even noticed what you've done but it does seem to eliminate accidents.

Good luck!

lomond Fri 02-Nov-07 10:22:44

I would just ditch them. DD was 3 + 3mths, we had just got back from a holiday and realised that we had no nappiesd left. It was either go out and buy more nappies or try it and see. We had the odd wet bed (used bed mats and then got a washable mat) no more than 3 or four, not every night and she has been fine since.

Put a potty right by the bed in case he wakes up. He will soon remember it is there and may not even wake you.

Oh and for the first two weeks I used to lift her at about 10.30pm for a wee, she wouldn't wake fully but on the nights I did this she hardly ever had a wet bed.

Good luck, I was dreading it as I didn't want loads of wet beds to change and disturbed nights but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. smile

FrannyandZooey Fri 02-Nov-07 10:26:00

Oh I forgot to say - he has a drink in bed with him at night (just water) and often gets himself back to sleep in the night by having a drink

so I would kind of expect him to NEED a wee in the night

(I don't really want to get him to give up the drink atm)

FrannyandZooey Fri 02-Nov-07 10:27:17

plus am pg and having trouble getting back to sleep when woken in the night, and so am going to be less tolerant of being woken extra times, I would imagine

BurrrrrrrrrrningNbg Fri 02-Nov-07 10:49:39

Maybe just limit his drinks before bedtime, makes sure he has a wee before he gets into bed and the drink he has by his bed, not give him as much.

Fwiw I'm 36 weeks pg with horrid spd and although dd doesnt have accidents now <touches wood>, ds still wakes up in the night (he's 14 months) so I know how you feel about getting up.
It is a pita literally in some cases but will be worth it if he goes dry!

MegaaahooohLegs Fri 02-Nov-07 10:55:27

Get a couple of good mattress protectors and go for it Franny. It will be brilliant if he is dry and sleeping by the time number 2 arrives.

We still have to take DS3 (4.4) for a wee when we go to bed and it's still a bit hit and miss, but he doesn't seem to wake up when/if he does wet, he is a deep sleeper though.

FioFio Fri 02-Nov-07 10:59:32

franny, I think some children (boys especially) will just wee in nappies anyway. Ds never had a dry nappy as he basically just used it as a nappy. In the end we just took it off him when he was about the same age as your ds

he is still a bit hit and miss though and he has just turned 6. I wake him before we go to bed to go to the toilet and 9 times out of 10 he has been dry but since ds2 was born it has gone a bit haphazard again (maybe understandable?) I dont know. We have a family history of late bedtime dryness so maybe its just that, didnt mean to moan.

Lazycow Fri 02-Nov-07 11:05:46

Why not try it

With a bit of luck he won't need to get up at night for a wee but if he does at this age I don't think it's unreasonable that he should (with a bit of encouragement and a night light in the hall) be able to get himself up at night and go to the loo or use the potty if he needs to. In theory any way grin!

Of course there may be some accidents but again with a bit of luck those will get less and less. Without trying it you won't know and the fact is you can always go back to night nappies if after a couple of weeks it isn't working.

cazboldy Fri 02-Nov-07 11:12:09

ask him what he wants to do. if he wants to ditch the nappy he is more likely to stay dry! smile i always used to lift mine for a wee when i went to bed , but some dc won't go back to sleep. You could try! oh and congrats franny btw! smile

MaryBleedinPopPopBANGins Fri 02-Nov-07 11:34:41

When DS was about 3.5 I suspected that he was weeing in his nappy first thing in the morning so tried without one and he was pretty reliable straight away. The total number of accidents we've had I could count on one hand and he's now 6.5.

And he hardly ever gets up in the night despite drinking water (sometimes quite a lot) before bed.

Your DS could be the same so I'd definitely give it a try.

HonoriaGlossop Fri 02-Nov-07 11:55:24

I agree with asking him. Ds told me he was ready to not wear it any more so I went with that, and he was right, and it was fine; we've only ever had about 2 wet beds and those have been when he was ill.

DS also has water by his bed and is very keen on having it, so we've just let him continue with it. He also has milk to drink before bed so you might think he would need the loo in the night, but he doesn't.

If your ds is keen, I'd go for it. Oh and if you do get accidents then I'd encourage your DP to get up as well, it's much much quicker if one of you changes the boy and the other changes the bed! DH and I haven't had to do this often as I say but we hit it like a SWAT team and we're all asleep again asap!

FrannyandZooey Fri 02-Nov-07 12:06:20

Yes Honoria dp has helped in the past with bed disasters and I agree it makes it all much faster. However dp lets me have a lie in on a weekend if I am not working, so I prefer not to wake him up properly if I can avoid it

caz he said he wants to have a nappy tonight, then I sneakily had a conversation with dp about how much money we could save if ds didn't need a nappy, and how it would mean we could probably go to (local awful amusement arcade much beloved of ds) in a couple of weeks if ds wore pants at night blush. i think he is going to give it a try.

Lazy i completely agree it is not unreasonable to expect him to get up and wee by himself. However ds and I differ quite a lot on what is reasonable behaviour at night time For instance I would usually rather NOT be awoken at 4 am to have a conversation about whether we forgot to turn over the picture on his tiger calendar to November hmm I think he may be able to do it sometimes, and probably sometimes not. I am expecting a few wet beds as well. I have thought about the potty thing and am not sure. He is quite big and hasn't used one for ages. He would probably manage to wee all over the floor, or spill it, or wee on his pyjamas - I'd probably rather get up and help him in the toilet, if I have to

Fio I think you are right, we have been wondering for a while whether to give him a try, but my lazy approach to toilet training means I have left it

So where can I get decent mattress protectors for good price? Have small thing from when pregnant, but it is only a little square really

Thanks all for encouragement and advice!

laura032004 Fri 02-Nov-07 12:23:53

We have a hippychick bed protector from bumpto3.com. Not particularly cheap, but fantastic. Has been on a bed continously for 4 years, washed once a week/fortnight and looks like new.

laura032004 Fri 02-Nov-07 12:26:36

Single bed size is on Ebay for £19.99 (usually £24.99 on bumpto3.com)

Lazycow Fri 02-Nov-07 15:56:15

one of my friends whose ds wet the bed at night for a long time swears by these. She said she used to take them on holiday as well (her ds did have enuresis problems though and wasn't completely dry at night until he was 8 years old)

I think they just go on top of the sheet so there is no need to change the bed (assuming you just get one accident a night)- just whip it off and bung in washing mashine.

www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/BedtimeBedding_and_Mattresses/Wet-'n'-Dry-Blanket/1312

I would probably also get a fitted mattress protector just in case as you don't want to risk the mattress getting wet too often.

FrannyandZooey Fri 02-Nov-07 18:09:54

Thank you thank you they both look great

he says he wants a nappy on tonight and then not a nappy tomorrow night

we shall see

FrannyandZooey Sun 04-Nov-07 21:40:51

He has gone to bed tonight with no nappy on [nailbiting]

he has a wind up torch in his bed to assist with trips to the toilet

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if he wakes up, finds the torch, switches it on, gets out of bed, goes to the toilet and gets back in without calling me

even to say "Mummy I have just been for a wee by myself without waking you"

I reckon I am going to be up and about in the night the next week or so

Pruners Sun 04-Nov-07 21:45:54

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Sun 04-Nov-07 21:53:50

I have no idea whether it will work or not

it is a physical development thing really isn't it? i haven't the faintest idea whether he has reached that stage

ChasingSquirrels Sun 04-Nov-07 21:58:10

practical ideas
- landing light left on?
- if you don't think he would make it to the loo and a potty is too small then maybe a bucket in his room? (sounds gross but if he wees standing up it might work).
- dunelm do a nice terry waterproof mattress cover (plastic backed but doesn't crinkle - I got it for ds1 but slept on it myself for about 6mo (it wasn't needed for ds1 and I had it on the spare mattress in ds2's room as I spent most of the night in there with him from when he was about 8mo - 14mo, and I wanted to protect the mattress from sick etc). Think they were £6.99.
- make up the bed with 2 layers (waterproof cover x 2) then if he has an accident you can just whip the top one off, ditto the duvet if you have a spare.
My ds1 never had a dry nappy in the morning, but I am pretty certain that he weed when he woke up as it was always warm, he had 3 accidents in the first fortnight and since then had been dry apart from the odd occasion when he has been ill.
Hope you don't get too disturbed at night, not what you need in your first trimester.

Nemo2007 Sun 04-Nov-07 21:59:24

I would go with it, ds never ever had a dry nappy and admitted he wet in it because it was a nappy. He was very early being dry at night and it was purely by chance that I forgot to put a nappy on he was dry so we carried on. Just have clean bedding on hand and a matress protector

FrannyandZooey Sun 04-Nov-07 22:06:34

oh thank you all, great tips

I have just ordered the hippychick mattress protector mentioned earlier in the thread, and we have a little square thing which is currently underneath until it arrives

we shall see

he usually does wait fricking ages to reach a stage (talking, walking, potty training etc) and then just get on with it very quickly. I do hope this could be the same

and better now than in a year with new baby here, I think!

ChasingSquirrels Sun 04-Nov-07 22:08:25

oh another thing, while you are waiting for the mattress protector, if you have a single duvet that will fit under the sheet then use that, if he does wee and misses the small protector then it will soak into the duvet and you can just throw that into the wash.

FrannyandZooey Sun 04-Nov-07 22:10:18

thank you, I don't think we do but a good idea

I am hoping he does ok with it, he seems so vulnerable to me in this situation - we all know how silly and unpleasant it feels to wet the bed

I feel I want to protect him from it

lomond Sun 04-Nov-07 22:14:06

Good luck tonight. Hope it goes well!

fishie Sun 04-Nov-07 22:15:51

am having similar thing here with ds, he has been weeing in bed if wearing anything (pants, pyjama trouser or nappy) but not if bare bottom. went back to nappies for a couple of weeks and now trying second night without. it is the getting up at 5am with request for nappy off to wee which gets me down. i have got hippychick thingy is excellent.

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 08:53:13

he weed

we have called it off for now

folded towel caught the wee quite well, so I just changed his pjs

any point repeating it? I mean does it sometimes take them a few days to get used to it? I have no interest in 'training' him - but if his body is ready and he just needs a few days to remember that he isn't wearing a nappy, I can cope with the bed changing for that long

colditz Mon 05-Nov-07 09:02:05

er did I miss the pregnancy announcement? You are pregnant franny?

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:03:07

yes I am! Just blush I found out really early so it is still a very small pregnancy, but I am v excited

colditz Mon 05-Nov-07 09:03:08

when did this happen? How far? I have COMPLETELY missed this, am miffed.

colditz Mon 05-Nov-07 09:03:35

Is this the first time you have mentioned it on MN or am I pig ignorant?

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:04:01

no, there were about three, or erm, four blush other threads about it

fishie Mon 05-Nov-07 09:04:30

yes that is the dilemma, how do you know whether they're ready or if it just fluke?

i put ds to bed without nappy or pyjama bottom last night but dp put nappy on him later. ds took it off dry when he got up at 6am. he seems awfully young to be dry at night but it seems to be rather a waste of money and nappies at teh moment.

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:05:18
FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:06:53

I don't know fishie, I guess I will just see what ds would like to do

I would rather be doing it now than in 6 months I suppose, maybe I should encourage him to have another go

colditz Mon 05-Nov-07 09:09:23

Go for it franny, ds1 just suddenly decided to be dry last year, and didn't wety the bed again for 4 months, until he got chicken pox, and he has wet every night since.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 05-Nov-07 09:15:01

fishie - how old is he?

Franny - i would probably give it a few nights if he wasn't upset. what time was it - ie did he get through most of the night or was it early on? i guess there are 2 aspects - either being able to go all night without weeing, or his body waking him up and him getting to the loo - if his body cant do one of those yet it will have to wait.

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:16:34

I think it was bang in the middle of the night, about 2 am

am guessing though

he was not too upset but not too chuffed either

I don't really want to keep setting him up to fail

colditz Mon 05-Nov-07 09:17:53

But you don't want to teach him that the first time we can't do something we give up.

FrannyandZooey Mon 05-Nov-07 09:18:51

LOL no

ChasingSquirrels Mon 05-Nov-07 09:20:40

mmm, I guess you have to take his lead. fwiw mine was wet the first night, and twice more in the first fortnight, but that was pretty much it. Although like Colditz, when he has been ill he has had accidents.
Wish I had the waterproof cover on his bed last night and he vomitted EVERYWHERE at about 11.30pm seemed ok this morning though.

pageturner Mon 05-Nov-07 09:23:30

I would say very common to have a few accidents the first few nights, just while they're getting usded to it. Ds2 (4.9) has just gone dry at night, at his own request. we had 2 wet nights, one night in a pull-up, 3 dry nights, then another pull up or two (to finish the packet - ds2's decision) and nit's now another couple of dry nights.

We take him to the toilet when I go to bed (lovely sleepy cuddle!) and that seems to work. he also has a drink of water by his bed, but I'm trying to encourage him not to drink too much. Apparently the current advice is not to lift them because it interferes with their own mental/physical process of realising that they need to go and ahve a wee, but I did it for my other two children and it worked. Will probably continue with ds2 for a couple of weeks and then try and drop it, but tbh it's a small price to pay for a dry night and no nappies!

Congratulations on the pg btw! smile

pageturner Mon 05-Nov-07 09:25:50

Blimey, spelling, typing and punctuation all went completely to pot there! blush

OMGhelp Mon 05-Nov-07 09:26:10

That is similar to how it went with DS2 who is Special Needs as well and we were dispairing of him ever getting out of nappies, but one day I went to my Mums for the weekend and forgot the nappies (pyjama pants as he was 7 at the time) and was dreading the night time as I was sharing the bed with him. But 'Glory be' he was dry, and we never looked back. He has had a few wet beds since then, but it helped his self esteem no end.

fishie Mon 05-Nov-07 09:27:33

chasingsquirrels he is 2½ and dry at night 95% of time. exactly f&z re setting up to fail. don't want to put him into unneccesary nappies but even worse to take them away if he's not ready!

OMGhelp Mon 05-Nov-07 09:29:25

As a temp mattress protector , try splitting a bin liner and spreading that under the sheet. Its a sweaty at night but will do the job.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 05-Nov-07 09:29:59

fishie - I used to just put the previous nights nappy back on if it hadn't been wetted in - saved money . I know of a reasonable number of 2.5yo who are dry at night - when they are ready they are ready. But equally if it stays at 95% that is still 5% when he isn't - which is no fun for any of you.

Nemo2007 Mon 05-Nov-07 13:35:29

fishie Ds was 2.5yrs when he was ready. As i said earlier purely by accident but after that he wet the bed maybe twice in one week and thats was it.

Franny it can be that he is ready but not used to it. So a couple of accidents are to be expected especially when they have pj bottoms on as they 'think' they are in a nappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now