This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2 year old - Night time flooding

(14 Posts)
DevonLulu Mon 06-Jun-16 21:50:10

My DS is 2 and a half, big lad, 16kg and flooding through his disposable nappies at night.

He LOVES his milk with a story, drinks a beaker, sleeps on his tummy all night and wakes in the morning soaking wet. His vest is wet all the way to the nipples and the grobag is soaking.

Currently using pampers baby dry 6+. They seem to be the best of the brands that I have tried.

Does anyone have any suggestions for disposable options to help us out please. Washing machine in meltdown!

Thanks in advance

DevonLulu Mon 06-Jun-16 22:05:19

bump

gooddays Mon 06-Jun-16 22:08:21

Maybe not the best help but could you double up the nappies? Feel for you & your little one

bonzo77 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:08:57

Can you change him when you go to bed? And use a washable booster inside the disposeable?

KP86 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:09:29

Does he wake overnight giving you an opportunity to change nappy?

Maybe limit drinks a little more in the afternoon?

Give milk half an hour to 45 min before bed and change nappy immediately before sleep?

Our DS also soaks through as you've described at least once per week and he is in Pampers S6 (14kg). He isn't drinking as much at the moment (new drink bottles which aren't as 'easy' as the old ones) which I think is what's stopped it from being every night. Nappies are still very, very full by morning.

I've read about using two nappies or adding a cloth nappy liner or even women's pad to the nappy to give some extra absorption but never tried it myself.

PolaroidsFromTheBeyond Mon 06-Jun-16 22:13:31

My oldest DD was a heavy wetter. I used to change her when I went to bed.

Or double up on nappies? I ocassionally used to do this. I'd put a slightly smaller nappy on underneath (size 5) then a size 6 on top covering the smaller nappy completely. It did work but it wasn't great for warm weather as she used to get hot.

PolaroidsFromTheBeyond Mon 06-Jun-16 22:14:43

I've also heard of using a large Tena Lady pad inside the nappy as an extra booster. Never tried it myself but might be worth a go? You could place it at the front if that's where he tends to wet.

DevonLulu Mon 06-Jun-16 22:19:13

Thanks everyone

He goes down shortly after 7 and sleeps through for 11-12 hours. I am reluctant to wake him, having got into a great little routine. I could do so at 11pm when I feed my little one though.

Changing after stories though could be a good idea - may try that. Thanks KP86.

I think that the milk is so good for him that I am reluctant to stop it. He's still quite young and not having any during the day (apart from food).

I hadn't thought about liners - I may try that. I think that the fact that he is a boy (so urine deposited so near the front) and enjoys sleeping on his front does not help. Its tricky to defy gravity!

What about the pull-ups designed for older children who are potty training but not dry at night?

Thanks again

ceeveebee Mon 06-Jun-16 22:22:05

I'd put a pull-up on top of the nappy. Also are you checking to make sure his willy is pointing downwards not up - my DS used to pee all up his tummy if I didn't tuck it down! ,

DevonLulu Mon 06-Jun-16 22:23:17

Willy pointing down - very aware of the difference this makes!!!

Bless them!! grin

KP86 Tue 07-Jun-16 08:27:15

I know what you mean about not waking to change overnight. It took a llloooonnnggg time for us to have a baby who slept well and no way in hell do I wake him unnecessarily.

I don't think the pull ups are as absorbent as regular nappies. We use them during the day sometimes when he won't lie down to be changed.

CornishTea Tue 07-Jun-16 08:32:14

Ive tried them all and Tesco Size 6 are the best for my 3 year old tall toddler.

Definately not the active fit of any brand. They are designed to be worn in the day to give easy movement when baby is 'active'

lostinthestratosphere Sun 19-Jun-16 14:28:36

Devon, if you buy a large reusable waterproof nappy cover (Amazon is probably simplest, anything between £5-£19 depending on brand) and pop that over the disposable it should help to keep things contained. You only need one as you can just rinse it in the morning and it'll dry quickly and then maybe toss it into a detergent-only (no softener) 30 degrees wash once a week. You don't even have to go for the "best" brand as you don't need it to do an amazing job on cloth nappies as those of us who have heavy wetters but use cloth need. You purely use it to help contain night-time leaching from the disposable. Do try it.

Cakescakescakes Sun 19-Jun-16 14:30:19

Could he not have his milk as his drink with his tea instead of last thing before bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now