This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable wipes

(14 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Fri 29-Apr-16 10:33:55

Hi a few questions here about washable wipes.

Do I need to buy them or can I make my own?
What do i store them in to take out with me?
Do you just use them with water or should I be using them with something else?
Also are they actually worth using or should I stick with disposable wipes?

I've just got some cloth nappies and if we like them washable wipes may be the next step.

CarefullyAirbrushedPotato Fri 29-Apr-16 21:46:58

I have ready made (cheeky wipes) and home made (chopped up thin towel with zigzagged edges), they have almost the same lifespan (4.5years and shine are beginning to get threadbare/snaggled edges) and exactly the same functionality. They work about 5 times better than disposable wipes, btw, especially for poo.
I only ever use water to wet them, keep them in a box/tupperware at home and an extra small wetbag for going out (my favourite brand is monkeyfoot, if you wash according to instructions they will outlast your nappies and have good resale value).

It's worth contacting your local cloth nappy library for advice about brands and laundering etc. They may be able to loan some for a trial and often have discount codes for big brands.

Hope that helps

CarefullyAirbrushedPotato Fri 29-Apr-16 21:48:00

Some, not 'shine'. Bloody autoincorrect

TheTravellingLemon Fri 29-Apr-16 21:56:06

I love my cheeky wipes. I would highly recommend them. I bought the starter pack which comes with boxes for fresh and mucky wipes as well as two travel bags. Their starter pack also comes with two bottles of oil for the fresh and mucky water.

GrouchyKiwi Fri 29-Apr-16 22:00:27

I have cheeky wipes as well and I infinitely prefer them to packet wipes. You don't need as many to clean a dirty bottom and you're less likely to get crap on your hand. I make a mix for them with essential oils, camomile tea and honey.

I take them out in a little tupperware box and use a wet bag for the dirty nappies and used cloths.

pookamoo Fri 29-Apr-16 22:05:24

I cut up a fleece blanket when DD1 was born. She is 7 now and we still use them every day for the DCs, hands, faces etc. I even use them to clean the bathroom!

Cheeky wipes look great but IME are expensive for what they are.

MrsCurly Fri 29-Apr-16 22:05:49

It's a long time since my kids were in nappies but I cut up old clothes, towels, etc. Sometimes I took them out wet in a ziplock bag but mostly I kept them dry and just stuck them under a tap. You just need water.

The only thing I'd counsel against is that they can destroy your washing machine as they as small and can end up in the wrong place. Best to use a mesh bag. You bung them in the mesh bag and put the mesh bag in the wash. You can buy mesh bags that fit in your nappy bucket so you lift out the whole mesh bag with nappies, wipes etc and just put it in the machine. They're fab.

cookiefiend Fri 29-Apr-16 22:12:56

Cheeky wipes are good and, like most cloth nappy products, are available with a good discount until Monday as it is real nappy week. (25% off I think). Yes they are pricey for little facecloths, but they are a great size. IMO terry towling worked better than fleece and if I cut up an old towel it would fray. Compared to the price of buying disposable wipes cheeky wipes still work out cheaper so if you have the money go for it.

BushyTailedPony Fri 29-Apr-16 22:23:03

I bought loads of little facecloths from eBay - £1.99 for ten or something and just used those for wipes. For out and about just had them damp in a plastic bag or used the water out the tap to wet and another bag for home.

Heavenscent86 Sat 30-Apr-16 07:21:04

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I go for cheeky wipes should I go for cotton or bamboo velour?

Lisad1975 Sat 30-Apr-16 07:27:29

Cheeky wipes are fab ! Cotton or bamboo are great for bottoms . The velour/ microfibre tend to be more recommended for faces as thry are soft and dont catch the poo as essily to wipe off if u get me!
There is a guide on their website!

Nan0second Sat 30-Apr-16 07:27:39

The bamboo ones are great. Personally I didn't bother with a kit. 25 wipes off amazon (free post) then Tupperware from the pound shop. I either use water or a mix of camomile tea with a couple of drops of lavender oil (also Amazon) plus a bit of olive oil.
Out and about a sandwich bag does the job!

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 30-Apr-16 07:34:23

another vote for cheeky wipes! Fab things. I use the terry ones for bums and the microfibre ones for face & bath time. Great product.

metimeisforwimps Sat 30-Apr-16 07:34:56

I made my own, cotton, jersey and fleece all work well. I use them as washable nappy liners as well. I didn't buy fabric just cut up old babygrows and things. They were also very well used in toilet training! It makes sense to use them if you are washing nappies anyway. I must admit that for a whole day out I normally switch to wipes and disposables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now