This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which reusable nappy would you recommend?

(12 Posts)
Becomingmom Sat 02-Apr-16 22:46:44

I'm just transitioning into reusable nappies. I've started with tots bots easy fit v4 and find they leak really fast, compared to the bambino miosolo which are amazing. I'm thinking of trying close pop in or charlie banana next, so wondering what others have made of these or any other brands. Also what did you find best for babies and toddlers sleeping through?

SendTheNextOneIn Sat 02-Apr-16 22:59:56

Different brands work better for different babies. I loved Totsbots Easyfits for my daughter, Miosolos not so much, although we had a few. Bumgenius are good. I liked Charlie Bananas and Close Pop ins.

For overnight, you would be better looking at dedicated night nappies, with a waterproof wrap. All in ones like those above aren't absorbent enough to last all night. You can add extra boosters for more absorbency but still not enough for night time. Look at Wee Notions Night Notions, or Google Holdens Landing Bedbugs. Both of those are fab overnight nappies. Depends on the size/weight of your baby as to what size to get. You need to use a separate wrap with them, as they do not have a waterproof layer. Something like a Blueberry coverall is good, they're pretty bombproof. Fleece longies are amazing too as a nappy cover. It's magic. No plastic but keeps the wetness in.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Sat 02-Apr-16 23:04:00

I have wonderoos, a mixture of v1 pull and v2 minky. I bought both sets second hand on gumtree (risked having them posted to me) and paid less than £60 for 22 nappies, 2 wet bags and reusable wipes. I really like them, they wash well, dry quickly (overnight on an airer beside a storage heater) and it takes me about 10 minutes to fold and stuff inserts back in. I like that they have poppers which I think last better than Velcro. Minky ones are my favourite, just because they are soft, and fold slightly more compactly for going out and about. I tend to only take 2 reusables out with me at the most and use disposables if I need more.

They are a little bit bulky, less so now DD is 14 months, but she was a small baby and they did look huge. Partly because we needed both inserts quite early as she does massive wees. I would like to get some zorb inserts to make them thinner, but haven't got round to it yet. I found ensuring the microfibre insert was nearest her skin helped prevent leaks as although bamboo absorbs more, it absorbs slower. Also pulling the inner layer of the nappy up at the back and making sure leg 'frills' are turned out. We now change her every 3 hours during the day - any longer and wet tends to wick through the outer layer. She can go 11 hours overnight with occasional slight dampness around the legs.

NinjaHippy Mon 04-Apr-16 16:47:55

I like the older Tots Bots, but not the newer ones so much. The Tots Bots stretchy bamboo ones are good at night, and the Little Lamb bamboo ones too, with a wrap over the top. I like Bumble Bees pocket nappies at the moment for during the day. They are a bit more expensive because they are handmade, but they are a really good fit.

originaldoozy Mon 04-Apr-16 16:54:24

We have used Charlie Bananna since day 1 and really love them. We do not have a drier and have to wash every other day and they dry no problem overnight on an airer. They have also been great at changing size with my little boy and I love the face the legs are so adjustable.

We did use tots bots 2 part nappies for night time for a good 6 months but after a lot of trial and error we could never get them to either not leak ... or if they didn't leak our little boys skin would be so red and damp and sorr each morning. I could never quite get the system right and in the end we made the decision to use Pampers Baby Dry nappies just for nightime as he sleeps for 12 hours and these last well for that amount of time. It means buying one pack of disposables a month but im happy with that.

Sagethyme Mon 04-Apr-16 17:04:28

Totsbots worked well but had to have two bamboo boosters as dd was a heavy wetter. I really loved the 'smart nappy' that mothercare used to do, these nappies could take either a disposable or washable liner. I don't know why they stopped seeling them, as they were the best for ds, but didnt know about them for dd. do you have a reusable nappy scheme where you live? Then you can borrow nappies for a month and decide which ones suit you best.

trilbydoll Mon 04-Apr-16 17:09:30

Pop Ins unless you have a fat baby in which case they're still good but you might find them a bit tight 12m+

Bumgenius, Miosolo, Little Lamb osfm if you've got a decent booster to stuff it with.

Tots Bots v2 if you can find second hand ones in good condition. The new ones are meant to be really good.

Overnight - disposable grin

Artandco Mon 04-Apr-16 21:24:43

Wonderoos here also. Used overnight as well no problem. The minky ones

MindfulBear Fri 15-Apr-16 07:08:13

We loved bum genius free times all in ones and Charlie banana pocket all in ones - for day time. Loved them both. Will use for #2.

At night we used/will use tots bots bamboozle stretch with a bamboo/fleece booster and a mother ease wrap cover over the top.

We buy all our nappies & accessories from thenappylady.co.uk, who gives great advice & support - incl when I had some leaking issue and in fact replaced a handful of my BG as a result.

jessplussomeonenew Fri 15-Apr-16 07:12:10

Lots of good advice here - the one thing I'd add for night time is a microfleece liner to keep moisture away from the skin. We use little lambs pockets during the day and their bamboo at night with totsbots wraps.

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Apr-16 07:19:09

Oh, I came on to say Tots Bots Easyfit! They suited both DC well!

Branleuse Fri 15-Apr-16 07:27:30

It depends on the shape of your baby, and tbh, i think its trial and error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now