This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

reusable nappies for an older child

(16 Posts)
TigersOfAlexpolis Tue 19-Jan-16 14:25:45

Does anyone know where I might be able to find reusable nappies for an older child?

My son is 6, he is big and heavy and does not fit into toddler nappies any more. He will continue to need nappies as he grows, as he has SN. I have so far been unable to find any reusables larger than toddler training pants, and it is very expensive to use the larger disposables.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BonesyBones Tue 19-Jan-16 14:30:54

I don't know how helpful it is, probably not very, but my sister (now 17) wet the bed until she was 13. My gran bought her some towelling type underwear from Mothercare which had a waterproof inner so never leaked right through. If I remember rightly they were rather expensive but each size seemed to last 2 years.

I have absolutely no idea what they were called though so can't help with what to search... But they do - or certainly did exist.

TigersOfAlexpolis Tue 19-Jan-16 14:33:56

Thanks, Bonesy, I will have a look at Mothercare underwear.

BonesyBones Tue 19-Jan-16 14:37:01

It may have been something like this? www.ubershop.uk/Reusable_Nappies/Night_Nappies_and_Bed_Protectors/Bedwetter_Pant?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=Google%2BShopping&gclid=CJKrlcqMtsoCFQTlwgodH4wHPg

MaybeDoctor Tue 19-Jan-16 14:38:01

I found Naty pull-ups quite big.

The babykind website rings a bell for selling larger cloth nappies.

BonesyBones Tue 19-Jan-16 14:38:26

Or something like this maybe? www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/readi-waterproof-pants-size-4-91-101cm-36-40in.html?utm_campaign=ShoppingFeed&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantcenter&utm_content=Health%20>%20Inco%20>%20Washable%20Incontinence%20Pants%20>%20Waterproof%20Pants&gclid=CNOWqMWMtsoCFUESGwodYo0E5A

TigersOfAlexpolis Tue 19-Jan-16 14:42:19

Thankyou, both of you.

I was just looking on the Mothercare site, haven't found anything yet. The ubershop link looks like a better bet!

Hufflepuffin Tue 19-Jan-16 19:45:42

I think mothercare stopped with most of their own brand reusables a while ago.

CatWithKittens Wed 20-Jan-16 10:51:10

We have DC who take after DH and are/have been later than some in becoming dry at night. We have used larger terries and waterproof pants - KosiKare - kosikare.auctivacommerce.com/Adult-Terry-Nappies-C218518.aspx?sid=4009 sell them as does Twinkle - www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/twinkle-terries-01tertw.html. We have both the 70cm and 75cm ones and for a big 6 year old I would go for the bigger ones. They are not only bigger but also thicker than the ordinary modern terries. DS1 told us when he was about 6 and we tried disposables when on holiday that the terries were much more comfortable because they did not have plastic touching him which made him hot and itchy. I hope that helps a bit. I see that KosiKare make even bigger ones but we have found the 75cm big enough up to nearly 8 in one case and they would probably have gone on a lot longer than that if we had needed to.

stargirl1701 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:02:53

Most WAHMs making nappies will custom make bigger nappies for older children. Are you on Facebook? Lots of WAHMs selling there.

TigersOfAlexpolis Wed 20-Jan-16 19:12:24

Yes, I am on Facebook. It never occurred to me to search on there.

Cat Thanks for that. It is hard for ds to tell us things like that, as his speech is very limited. I will make sure he doesn't have plastic touching his skin.

roomonmybroom Thu 21-Jan-16 09:53:46

Check out Snuggleblanks on Facebook, she specailsies in washable nappies for older children and adults, lovely lady.
www.facebook.com/snuggleblanksbyvicky/?fref=ts

Promocon.co.uk maybe able to help too.

NinjaHippy Mon 04-Apr-16 16:50:11

I'll second the recommendation for Snuggleblanks.

Nan0second Mon 04-Apr-16 22:29:22

Have heard good things about snuggleblanks. Also Tjs nappies do bigger sizes and hemp which is fab for absorbency.

nuttynina123 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:46:10

Some of the fancy nappies and wraps that are around are really expensive i.m.o. Personally, I simply can't afford them. Frankly, I don't think you can beat traditional terry nappies and plastic pants as being the cheapest option. There are loads of websites on the Internet, but you could have a look at nappiesrus.

Fairylea Fri 03-Jun-16 16:49:05

If it's a cost issue have you contacted your GP about free larger nappies? If a child is over 4 with recognised special needs they are entitled to free larger disposable nappies (usually 5 a day) in 3 monthly supplies at a time. Your GP and health visitor should be able to make an order for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now