This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

The "no question too stupid" reusable nappy thread

(214 Posts)
Hufflepuffin Mon 18-Jan-16 19:35:14

I thought it might be nice to have one thread where anyone planning to use reusable nappies can post questions about them. I think most people agree that the amount of information and options out there can be a bit bewildering when you're researching.
I know the whole nappies topic is a bit like this but at least if it's just one thread then the people who love talking about nappies (me blush) can keep it 'watched' and always reply!

LettuceLaughton Mon 18-Jan-16 19:38:21

That's an excellent idea smile

Just checking in in case I can be of some use.

comeagainforbigfudge Mon 18-Jan-16 21:01:45

I will kick you off with first question...

Why do them always poo when you put your favourite nappy on?!!!! grin

In all seriousness, i have terry cloths which im not using just now. (Using prefolds and AIO's).

I have no idea which fold would be best for my 7month old. (Im thinking something that contains the poo). Any recommendations?

Pinkshire85 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:04:17

I've got the mio set from mothercare but haven't used them on my 2 week old yet as they seem too big and bulky. Reckon I'm being too precious or shall I wait for her to grow into them?

Hufflepuffin Tue 19-Jan-16 13:21:01

I started using my nappies at 4 weeks old (and my son was 9lb 6 when he was born!) as they seemed too bulky before then, but I think I could have used them at least around the house before then. They seem particularly bulky when you are used to teeny disposable newborn nappies!

Do you have the all in ones or the ones with a separate inner and outer? I found the bambino mio all in ones quite bulky so 2 weeks might be a bit small – I think most birth to potty brands say they work from 12 pounds but most only get reliable a few pounds after that.

No idea about terry folds I'm afraid (but I used to nappy my dolls in a kite fold - told you I was nappy mad!)

fruitlovingmonkey Tue 19-Jan-16 14:44:11

Has anyone used muslins and wraps on a newborn? Which wraps are best? I have bought a range of birth to potty nappies but I need a newborn solution that isn't too expensive.

Hufflepuffin Tue 19-Jan-16 15:53:49

My friend used muslins (Muslinz from the Nappy Lady) with extra-small motherease rikki wraps - I borrowed them from her but never got around to using them!

The cheapest brand new newborn nappy I've come across is the newtt by easy peasy nappies : www.easypeasynappies.co.uk/easy-peasy-newtt-newborn-nappy-single-453-p.asp - they are £3.50 each and you will also need some nappy nippas to fasten them, and wraps to go on top (and fleece liners to keep baby's skin dry mine are all a cut up £1.50 ikea blanket!). The same company makes the very popular bimbles and eco bimbles for newborn - the latter are £4 each www.easypeasynappies.co.uk/easy-peasy-eco-bimble-newborn-nappy-single-448-p.asp and have a sewn in fleece liner. I think the nappy lady recommends 20 nappies for newborns, but you could probably get away with 10 if you were on top of laundry and had a good way of drying them.

You can also get some very cheap newborn pocket nappies from Alva baby on Ebay, but I found them pretty rubbish and only used once on my son - they are too small for the size of the inserts couldn't get a snug fit even though my son was quite large.

Or you can buy a whole newborn stash second hand on one of the facebook selling sites "Cloth Nappies for Sale/Wanted UK" has the most members www.facebook.com/groups/137541689609174/ and the newborn sets get sold on pretty regularly so you would be able to sell for the same as you paid, so you'd only be out the postage (this is what I would do if I had another).

There's also the Tots Bots Peenut

fruitlovingmonkey Wed 20-Jan-16 11:41:10

Thanks Hufflepuffin I will definitely have a look at the easy peasy ones. Cheap is good, given that they will only be used for a few weeks. I'd ideally like enough to wash every other day so the price really adds up in those quantities.

mrsjskelton Wed 20-Jan-16 11:57:56

I've bought some little lambs bamboo. There are two different liners - which way do they go??

Hufflepuffin Wed 20-Jan-16 12:00:11

One is a fleece liner - that goes next to baby's skin to wick the moisture away. Then there is one made out of the same fabric as the nappy (this one is called a booster) and that goes between the nappy and the liner - if you need it (not necessary for a newborn, for example). If you have a boy you can fold the booster in half and have it just at the front as that's where nearly all the wetness is.

mrsjskelton Wed 20-Jan-16 12:03:33

Thanks so much!

roomonmybroom Thu 21-Jan-16 10:18:43

comeagain
Terry nappies have a PDF on all the folds:
www.terrynappies.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Folding%20Terry%20Nappies.pdf

fruit lots of wraps with work with terries and muslins, double gussets are what you need, Littlelamb, Nature babies, Blueberry coveralls to name a few, you can probbaly pick up preloved to save money too.

drspouse Thu 21-Jan-16 10:55:58

We really liked the Motherease Rikki and the Little Lamb wraps because of the double gussets.

We used muslins and wraps to start with but graduated fairly quickly onto Close Parent/Pop-ins (they do a newborn size but just the regular size, popped down as small as they go) as it's a little smaller than the other OSFM (one size fits most), and it also has a double gusset.

It's not the ideal nappy for a screaming, writhing toddler as the tabs stick onto the very back part of the nappy underneath the screaming, writhing toddler's lower back rather than at the side of the screaming, writhing toddler's waist like many other velcro nappies. But they are good for not leaking and we still use them along with quite a lot of Tots Bots Easyfits.

We find the Easyfits version 2 and 4 best as 3 was not particularly absorbent.

Little Lamb pocket size 1s are also quite good for tinies. Also have double gusset.

hibbleddible Sun 24-Jan-16 22:47:10

I'm newish to night nappies. I have been using a little lamb bamboo fitted, boosters, and a motherease airflow wrap with good results (no leaks). Today though the motherease has left bad marks on her legs (still there 12 hours after taking it off). What can I do to stop this happening again? I've used it prior with no I'll effect.

drspouse Mon 25-Jan-16 09:14:26

I don't know! We had been using similar with Rikki wraps but only had this problem once with a Little Lamb wrap that turned out to be withdrawn. Was it done up tighter than normal?

Hufflepuffin Mon 25-Jan-16 09:23:45

Might there be a detergent build up in the elastics? I do find Motherease elastic bindings quite harsh compared to some of the other wraps.

kbro79 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:49:50

This is maybe more a superficial question (as well as stupid) i have little lamb nappies. I love the nappies but cant help eyeing up other nappy wraps. Do other wraps fit other nappies? In particular love some of the Mio Bambino designs. Would the wraps fit on my little lambs?

drspouse Thu 28-Jan-16 22:22:41

I think Mio are a funny shape. But Motherease Rikki and Tots Bots wraps both fit.

Hufflepuffin Fri 29-Jan-16 03:08:36

I think the bambino mios are weirdly narrow on the side bits, I've had success with blueberry coveralls and they have some really cute prints.

kbro79 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:10:27

Lovely. Thank you ladies.

Ditsy79 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:03:29

We used Motherease airflow wraps and Blueberry coveralls with Little Lambs nappies - found the Motherease less prone to leaks, although the patterns weren't as pretty as the Blueberry.

MrsPCR Thu 04-Feb-16 08:44:16

Preparing for DC1 and have received a free close pop-in starter pack from the council. Close advise against spinning the nappies at more than 800 rpm; however after pre-wash they were still VERY wet. Do people spin at 1200+? My bras are always spun at 1200, much to the horror of DM!

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 04-Feb-16 09:03:58

I use bambino all in ones.
Mine are spun at 1000 if that helps at all?

HappyHeart87 Thu 04-Feb-16 09:16:45

I've inherited some MotherEase nappies from a friend. They have a nappy and a popper-in booster. I've just been putting a flushable bamboo liner on top of that (against her skin); should I be using something fleecy as well?

Also, they last about 6hrs max before needing changed. Is there a different type of overnight nappy I should use?

drspouse Thu 04-Feb-16 11:29:36

Spinning - I use max spin on our Close Pop-ins and although I am now having to mend some elastic, this is a second hand set with quite a bit of use.
Liners: Fleece liners are more absorbent, good for night time, and you can use any cream. Paper liners are (usually) flushable and as long as you use the right cream, OK on their own. We use just paper in the day and both at night (we hate holding the fleece ones in the loo with a poo, but like to be able to use Sudocrem at night)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now