This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable and Sudocrem

(10 Posts)
Allthatnonsense Tue 14-Jul-15 14:38:55

I'm using Bumgenius V4 and Little Lambs bamboo and Naty disposables.
My DD is 6 weeks and I'm just starting the transition to reusables. I was reading the packaging for the Bumgenius and it said not to use rash cream.
Is the case for all reusables? What about if I protect the nappy from the cream with a fleece liner? DD has a red little bottom and I'd feel neglectful bit using Sudocrem.

kyz1981 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:44:32

Hi you can use a few nappy safe creams without a liner - can't think of the names but waitrose do a cloth safe one. you can also use barrier creams with a liner, I would recommend fleece liner regardless as it wicks the moisture away. I only need a cream now and then if DD is teething.

kyz1981 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:45:29

little lamb fleece liners are great.

Stubbed Tue 14-Jul-15 14:46:12

Dunno really but I use Sudocreme and also Burts Bees nappy cream. Usually I use flushable liners which I think means they are ok. But I am not bothered about my nappies, I don't treat them well.

Allthatnonsense Tue 14-Jul-15 14:51:18

Thanks both. I'll keep using the Sudocrem, but will use the LL fleece liners. At least I can replace them fairly cheaply if they do get wrecked.

DeladionInch Tue 14-Jul-15 14:57:45

You can chop up a fleece blanket to make liners. The white ikea one with the grey squiggles is very good and costs £2 ish.

Nannynome Tue 14-Jul-15 15:00:22

Coconut oil can be used with reuseables and works well on clearing things up. Like someone else said, fleece liner is your best bet for protecting the nappy although we never really had to use a barrier cream once we switched from disposables.

Ditsy79 Wed 15-Jul-15 06:07:01

We have used Bepanthen and sometimes Metanium with our cloth nappies - although we do use flushable liners (I think the nappy fibres would get clogged or stained from metanium otherwise)

RolyPolierThanThou Wed 15-Jul-15 06:37:42

I second the coconut oil suggestion. It's the only thing we use now because it's a blooming miracle. Any patches of red gets a bit of coconut oil on it and by morning it's fine. Never had nappy rash problem with either of my two cloth nappy babies (one is 15mo, the other potty trained now) and we don't use a liner.

You wouldn't credit how effective coconut oil is. Just make sure you put a dab on at the first sign of red patches.

DeladionInch Wed 15-Jul-15 13:06:25

Please be aware that flushable liners and the British sewerage system really don't mix. They may not cause you a problem but they almost certainly will clig things up somewhere down the pipes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now