Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is this a good plan?

(17 Posts)

I've had some good advice from the nappy lady but have done some more research and realised I can get some of the stuff I think I want more cheaply elsewhere so don't want to bombard her with any more questions as it seems a bit cheeky.

DC2 isn't due till next summer so there's no urgency but I'm getting excited! Used disposables with DD so am new to cloth nappies.

Plan is to use disposables for first few weeks as I want a two part system but don't want to buy more than one size.

So does this look about right in terms of numbers/combination of stuff?

5 medium motherease airflow wraps (and 5 large ones later on)
10 large little lamb bamboo boosters
20 junior joy fleece liners
20 bamboozle stretch nappies size 2

Thanks in advance smile

Artandco Sun 08-Dec-13 21:20:14

I like the little lamb all in one nappies. Can use from a few weeks old, until potty trained and all in one ( although you stuff boosters in).
Each nappy comes with x2 bamboo boosters, work well all day or overnight and currently 10 for £50. So £100 could get you everything

Hmmm...they would still need liners right?

The nappy lady doesn't recommend them for overnight-you've found them ok though? DD was a v heavy wetter and we used to use plastic pants over her disposable nappies at night.

Artandco Sun 08-Dec-13 21:53:39

You don't need liners no unless you want as they are lined with fleece and boosters go underneath.

They come with x2 boosters but you could add 3 for very heavy wetter if you wanted overnight. We used from about 6 weeks old. At first we actually only used one booster then 2. Never needed 3. I liked because the liners are bamboo so good absorbency but the actually nappy isn't so they dry quickly. The boosters did used to be microfibre so maybe they are the ones the nappy lady used? You can buy extra boosters if you want as spares.

I liked as you take apart to wash like 2 parts ( boosters out), but then you can pre prepare them for use by adding boosters in nappy when dry and waterproof built in so simple when out/ when others change etc. you can also keep the poppers to the right size so only change when they grow, not every time

Artandco Sun 08-Dec-13 21:56:29

Oh and we looked at bumgenius etc but at £15+ a nappy we couldn't justify buying the amount we wanted. We have 40 of the little lambs as at one point was using for 2 children, plus we didn't want to have to wash daily. We also can then keep changing bag with a few in, and keep a few at each of our parents house for convienence

Ok, this is food for thought as this is a MUCH cheaper option!

JellyMould Sun 08-Dec-13 22:02:01

Sounds good to me. The bamboozle stretchies are really good. I've only ever had about 15 in use at a time but 20 gives you a few spares.

clairikins Sun 08-Dec-13 22:04:05

Sounds fine, TBH you won't know what it is going to be like until your baby arrives. My DD has used from the beginning. At first we did a wash every other day, now it's every 6-7. Fleece liners don't take any time to dry. You can always try others afterwards.

The nappy lady website is very useful. Do you have a nappy library near you. You can have a look at other nappies to see what you like. Also have you checked your council's website to see if you can get some money off for using them

It has occurred to me that as DD isn't potty trained yet (2.3) I could actually start now, on her...especially with a birth-potty nappy, there's no reason not to, right?! It might be easier to practise on her as well as I'm sure with a newborn I'll be more nervous.

No nappy library though there is a sort of help group. Council don't offer anything, sadly!

Artandco Sun 08-Dec-13 22:25:57

I would try now. You could always just get 10 (£50) and try as at 2 you will be using far less each day. My 2 year old is potty trained but still wears one at night and they fit fine etc. get more if you like.

Even before we potty trained I used to always put them on the toilet before bed from tiny so they didn't wee in nappy straight away. This might help if yor eldest is very heavy wetter. It also meant once they reached 2 they were both very easy to train as had been used to big toilet for a while

clairikins Sun 08-Dec-13 23:57:14

Yes try now, think of the money you'll save. You may need to put extra boosters in for an older child. I would buy extra boosters.

If you want birth to potty nappies that are cheaper have you seen ones called little blooms on ebay? Some people hate them, but I get along with them well, they are about £5 each and come in some lovely wacky designs. You could always buy one and see how you get along (although buy them with 2 bamboo boosters, one isn't enough)

clairikins Sun 08-Dec-13 23:59:32

Ok...I'm going to do it! Had a long conversation with DH last night and convinced him it wouldn't be 'gross' or 'difficult', as well as pointing out that I do the laundry anyway! So he's on board. Yey! Wonder what DD will make of it. I suppose if she hates them it might be an incentive to potty train!

Gosh, those ones on eBay are cheap-and have good reviews on Amazon too...

clairikins Mon 09-Dec-13 22:57:21

I advised a friend to try one and see how she got on. Then get some more if you like them. And if you don't like it then you have only wasted a fiver. That's what I did. Make sure you get two boosters to use if you get them, as they are very thin

anderel Thu 12-Dec-13 21:55:42

My DD didn't fit size 2 bamboozles until she was around 5 months - they're very wide at the crotch. I don't find them as absorbent as Little lambs bamboo fittedfitted btw. The birth-to-potty LLs are also fairly wide but she fit them from around 3 or 4 months. So, just warning that your baby may not fit the larger nappies as early as you hope, unless it's a wee chunker! If you "like" LL on facebook you can often get amazing deals like less than half price nappies. The pocket nappies are not that popular (I think because they are plain colours) so you can get them cheap on ebay - I won 4 for 99p each the other day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now