This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washable wipes

(24 Posts)
ameliarose2012 Fri 22-Nov-13 22:05:59

I've been using washable nappies for a while now, and love them!

Was thinking of taking things a step further and buying some washable wipes to go with, but not sure where to start looking.

Does anyone have any experience in this area i.e. good brands and whether they're worth the money

Thanks xxx

Imwoodword Fri 22-Nov-13 22:15:22

I have Cheeky Wipes and love them, they were on 30% off this week but it may have finished?

You can buy a kit which has all you need in it - wipes, boxes and essential oils.

greenthumbs Fri 22-Nov-13 22:54:58

Love mine, can't remember which brands though, sorry.

I don't think there'll be much difference in the brands, they're just mini flannels, some have fleece on one side.

mrsmartin1984 Sat 23-Nov-13 02:53:04

I just use fleece fabric cut to shape. They do the job just as well. Stick them in the same wash and they don't need drying. I just put them back in a box and I have a bottle of water with a sport cap on which I just pour a little water on before use to dampen it. Job done.

If you are using cloth full time you might as well go the full hog. You are doing the washes anyway so it's no more effort on your part

stargirl1701 Sat 23-Nov-13 08:25:26

I love my Cheeky Wipes. You can make your own to save money.

Aquariusgirl86 Sat 23-Nov-13 08:34:55

Cheeky wipes are great, been using them a year and don't know why I didn't use them earlier!!! Great product but customer service is lacking, ordered 3 boxes to keep them in and 1 was faulty, big gap round the seal so it wasn't keeping them fresh, response was basically "that's just how it is" also had no response to an enquiry before purchase. But I love the wipes and very hard wearing. In a dilemma if I need any again as usually wouldn't buy from someone with shoddy customer service but I do really like the product!

Cookethenook Sat 23-Nov-13 14:25:11

We have cheeky wipes and they're amazing. Whenever i have to use disposables i wonder how the hell i went for 3 years using them! I have to say, i found their customer service to be very good and delivery very quick.

ameliarose2012 Sat 23-Nov-13 19:32:14

I have a load of terry nappies that I don't use. If I cut them to shape would they work?

chezchaos Sat 23-Nov-13 19:34:31

Yes, you could start off with terry. I made most of mine. I also love Weenotions ones. My favourite wipes are dotty minkee fabric ones, they're really soft and the dots add friction!

froginthepond Sat 23-Nov-13 19:51:44

Another vote for cheeky wipes! I now use them as dusters around the house after boil washing them when i was finished with them. grin

ameliarose2012 Sat 23-Nov-13 23:24:25

Next question - what do you use for moisture? xxx

stargirl1701 Sun 24-Nov-13 08:12:02

Bottom wipes - lavender oil and water
Face wipes - rose oil and water

MirandaWest Sun 24-Nov-13 08:14:13

I used bits of fleece with water on

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sun 24-Nov-13 08:17:52

I just run them under the warm tap smile I have posh fleece/terry ones from the Nappy Lady for ds2, but for dd and ds1 I just used cheap flannels from Wilkos.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 24-Nov-13 09:52:08

I had a dd who was terribly prone to nappy rash. I made my own elites from cut up cheap Asda flannels and kept a few in a tub with some water made up of camomile tea, honey and a few drops of tea tree oil. I replaced it every day or so.
It worked like an absolute charm on her sore bum and smelled rather fancy too!

mrsmartin1984 Mon 25-Nov-13 00:57:14

Just water is fine

Ditsy79 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:14:31

I use Cheeky wipes, and they are Fab - they get my DD clean more easily than disposable wipes. I use Rose & Geranium or Lavender & Chamomile oil for the clean wipes, then Tea tree & lemon for the dirty ones. I love the rose oil, makes DD smell of Turkish delight :-) I got the oils from cheeky wipes, but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere.

FoofFighter Fri 29-Nov-13 12:10:57

I wouldn't waste money on buying wipe kits tbh when they are so easy to do yourself cheaply.
A lot of people use Ikea flannels (packs of 10 for £3 I believe) and cut them into 4 or with old towels (would need to hem though) a cheap fleece blanket chopped up doesn't need sewing (and you can make nappy liners too) old tshirts wouldn't need hemming either.
I have Poundland baby flannels, think they are microfibre but one side is rough so great for pooplosions as it has some grab on it to trap the poo rather than smear it around.

delasi Sun 01-Dec-13 12:13:24

Seeing as there's already a thread on this... can I put a question to all washable wipes users? (sorry for hijack!)

What's an easy way to keep them wet before use when out and about? I don't want to buy any kits because I just don't think it's necessary. I have flannels and water at home, just need to transport them together grin I don't want to carry a bottle of water around, which someone had suggested to me, I can't rely on wetting them whilst out, and I don't want to carry a huge box with them in. I'd be pretty surprised if I needed more than 5 in the bag for when I'm out.

At home pooey wipes can just go in the nappy pail. When out I have quite a generously sized wet bag for nappies, so used wipes can go in there.

So how to keep them wet prior to use when away from home? Would a zipped wet bag keep them damp enough for several hours?

peanutMD Sun 01-Dec-13 16:43:37

I got 15 double sided fleece/terry wipes from Ebay (RubyRedDesigns) for £8 and they've been great since my DD was born 9 months ago.

I take a days worth (5/6 at a time), run them under a warm tap and store in a ziplock bag (just sandwich bags not wipe bags) so they stay wet all day

SliceOfLime Sun 01-Dec-13 16:46:40

delasi you need a small waterproof bag, I've heard of people just using a plastic ziplock bag, I've got a small Monkey Foot wet bag which has a waterproof lining and is washable, I keep wet wipes in there for out and about. They do stay wet and don't leak through the bag!

delasi Sun 01-Dec-13 18:46:22

Thank you peanut and Slice!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 02-Dec-13 20:49:29

I use a Lock n Lock box.

Snozwanger Tue 03-Dec-13 12:35:29

I've seen small drawstring wash bags at Morrisons which I think might work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now