This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help with leaking Easy Fits

(22 Posts)
Peaky1 Sat 26-Oct-13 00:00:03

Hi all. I'm hoping for any pearls of wisdom. I had to stop using easy fits a short time ago due to them leaking easily.

My boy is 11 months now and crawling. I wash them with an extra rinse and a tiny amount of detergent. I never tumble dry them. I use the fleece liner that they came with and fold the insert under. I even tried an extra bamboo liner but that didn't make it last any longer on him.

The easy fits are lasting an hour and a half max before he needs a change of clothes due to the leaking.

Any ideas? We tried to loosen to the next popper and tightened back up again but nothing made any difference.

mrsmartin1984 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:40:50

Are they poppers or velco? And how are you doing the poppers accross the front? How much does your baby weigh aprox?

stargirl1701 Sat 26-Oct-13 13:21:04

Have you added the bamboo boosters? We had to boost with bamboo or hemp at 12 months as the microfibre simply wasn't enough.

stargirl1701 Sat 26-Oct-13 13:22:47

Sorry, I just saw that you have. Hemp is more absorbent than bamboo.

I do find we go through little periods where I get leaks. Growth? I find if the BumGenuis leak then the TotsBots fit and vice versa.

Peaky1 Sat 26-Oct-13 16:01:02

Thanks for the thoughts. I've no idea how heavy he is. I know he's always around the 50th centile and he's nearly 12 months.

We have the Velcro fasteners and of course the poppers to adjust the height. He hasn't worn them for a couple of months now so I might try again. I just get fed up with all the clothes changing every day. His wardrobe isn't that big!

mrsmartin1984 Sat 26-Oct-13 18:45:50

The poppers on the front should be either the shortest setting or the one up depending on how chubby he is. And the velcro needs to be tight across the belly. It should be tight round the legs and waist

If that doesn't work a strip wash may be in order

scissy Sun 27-Oct-13 08:05:26

Have you strip washed them at all? I think Tots Bots recommend strip washing every 3 months or so. I had an easyfit from a nappy library once that was behaving like you describe - turns out it had never been strip washed. After half a day in the washing machine it was back to normal.

Peaky1 Sun 27-Oct-13 14:10:47

Ah I see! I will try strip washing. Not done that before

drspouse Mon 28-Oct-13 08:27:33

Can I hijack this thread to say we have the same problem though with a 50th centile 22 month old?

We have just noticed this recently and it's been fine till now and the nursery are a bit irritated by it too. It is mostly leaking at the legs. We just strip washed them (well, I left hubby to do it as I was away at the weekend) and he said they were still bad. I've asked him to check for beading on the surface. We strip washed with a dishwasher tablet and we soak the boosters in vinegar. I don't actually notice much foam when we strip wash (whether we do it without detergent or even with a dishwasher tablet).

We use a bamboo booster and a disposable liner. We use a different system at night but really I am not going to use anything except AIOs for daytime use and neither is nursery. Maybe pocket nappies as then you can stuff them before sending them/before going out. And I'm not keen on going to disposables because a) the cost b) the inconvenience of always having to buy them and c) the poos, BTDT on holiday!

Do you think he could just be too big for them (it's the Easyfit too)? I know the leg is not the best in the world and I was wondering about a similar one with a double leg cuff, but can't seem to find much out there.

The way he's going we're looking at at least another 6 months of nappies, he's definitely not ready for training pants.

mrsmartin1984 Mon 28-Oct-13 20:31:31

Do you ensure that the disposable liner doesn't go over the side of the leg? We used to and it acted like a channel to pour wee over the elastic

Are you inserting the booster inside the nappy? Although they aren't pocket nappies you could stuff them alike one. And if so the bamboo would be better inside.

Are you ensuring that they are one tight and tight around the legs? When did you change to the largest setting?

drspouse Tue 29-Oct-13 10:06:04

We always try to make sure the liner doesn't stick out though it may happen occasionally, it's not every time we get a leak. We've always stuffed with a booster and we went up to the largest size at about 9 months? Or maybe earlier. I don't remember!

FoofFighter Fri 01-Nov-13 16:27:18

Gave up on mine and sold it on as no matter what we did it would leak, I think generally they just aren't v well made really. I recommend Real Easy pockets by Hip Hip Baby, absolutely fantastic and one can last us overnight unboosted.

drspouse Sat 09-Nov-13 16:43:53

Foofighter are those the new ones with cotton or the old ones with hemp? I googled them and there seems to be a difference.

brettgirl2 Sun 10-Nov-13 19:09:16

I just use a wrap with my easyfits. They don't work on their own for me. Bizarrely I don't hate them as they dry so quickly (presumably because they are totally non absorbant hmm ) but then I only have 5.

FoofFighter Mon 11-Nov-13 16:27:28

The new ones are the hemp I believe and that's what I have got www.babykind.co.uk/realeasynappies.htm

FoofFighter Mon 11-Nov-13 16:30:38

hmm says hemp on the pic but cotton on the blurb!

drspouse Thu 14-Nov-13 11:35:48

So we think it's the V3 and mainly the coloured ones that are leaking so badly. I took them out of circulation and nursery haven't complained either for a couple of days so perhaps that's the main problem.

I rang TotsBots and they suggested washing them by hand with Fairy Liquid (just once! not permanently!) if the inside is not wicking properly - and it isn't - the water just rolled off. I tried this on one and it helped but it needs a bit more so I'll try again.

drspouse Thu 14-Nov-13 11:37:15

PS I am thinking of trying something that's a bit more like pull ups anyway - the couple of one-off nappies I got as samples are velcro tabs too which hubby likes rather than poppers BUT some people have said that poppers make them more like pull ups as the toddlers can pull up/down themselves. He can't pull his own trousers yet but if we could change him standing up that would help, too.

drspouse Thu 21-Nov-13 13:53:52

So washing by hand in washing up liquid - one of the nappies I washed about 4 times in what felt like a gallon of washing up liquid. Slight improvement. The others which I also washed in washing up liquid are still repelling liquid as before. Not very helpful.

drspouse Fri 06-Dec-13 20:24:46

Still no luck stripping these nappies, the washing up liquid didn't work and neither did lots of rinses with a wet towel to fool the machine into adding more liquid, they are still beading like nothing on earth.

Very annoying as they dry really quickly!

FoofFighter Mon 09-Dec-13 00:56:07

Tumble dry them to reseal the PUL, says ont eh back of Tots Bots packs to do this - funnily enough I think it's a bit crap they admit they will leak and get holes in but there you go!

drspouse Mon 09-Dec-13 16:40:53

They told me that on the phone if it was a problem with the PUL, but there's nothing wrong with the PUL, it's resisting water quite nicely. Problem is so is the minky - which of course shouldn't be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now