This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How can i stop my Little Bloom (Yellow Bloom, Alva, you know, the ebay cheapies) from leaking?

(11 Posts)
Cookethenook Thu 24-Oct-13 12:09:38

I'm so upset.

I just can't get my bloody little bloom nappies to keep my LO's wee in. 2 hours and we have a leak at the top of the nappy and around the legs. Every time he goes in the buggy or car seat, he ends up sopping wet, even if i changed him right before we go out.

I stripped them, even though we've only had them for about a month and a half. We use a microfiber booster, a bamboo booster and a fleece liner and i literally can't stuff any more in there or they won't fit him.

Our tots bots are so fantastic, but they're just so expensive and take so long to dry.

I just want to cry! I can't believe i spent £40 on this crap sad it was supposed to save us money.

Any advice would be so welcome.

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 18:18:38

I use little blooms, they are my staple nappies. I love them. But I had issues to begin with. Firstly I use two bamboo, I have a heavy wetter and I don't like microfibre. Secondly I had them done up on too loose a setting. If they are leaking in both directions then it sounds like they are not on tight enough. Are they poppers and have you used them before. Are the poppers down the front on the smallest setting?

I use them all the time and can leave my DD for over 4 hours in them without a leak.

Cookethenook Thu 24-Oct-13 18:50:18

He's nearly 5 months and he's tall (in 6-9 m clothes but they're getting small). We don't use the poppers at the front as I though it would come too far down his legs and make it difficult for him to sit. I'll have to do some experimenting. I've never used poppers before as tots bots have Velcro so I'm a bit clueless!

I'll def try two bamboo boosters.

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:35:57

My daughter is 8.5 months and 16lbs though quite tall and in 6-9 month clothes. We use the poppers on the front on the shortest setting.

I'd try them on the shortest setting. Reusables are not like disposables in length. They only need to just cover the bum cheeks. Try it on the shortest setting. That's prob why they leak round the legs. Remember birth to potty nappies should last until he is 2.5 yr old (roughly). So a 5 month old babies should not be on the largest setting just yet.

How do you use the tots bots? And what kind of tots bots do you use?

Also if you want to buy nappies cheap, you know there is a preloved group on FB?

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:37:23

Are you putting the fleece inside the nappy?

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:38:50

I use a mix of LB, TB easyfits and Bumgenius during the day and Bambinex bamboo nappies at night

Cookethenook Thu 24-Oct-13 20:20:40

Ah! This could be where i'm going wrong! Will try a smaller setting tomorrow and report back. I use the fleece liner on top, not for absorption but to wick away moisture from his botty.

On another note, my goodness, my baby is a beast. He weighs 18lbs....

I have 1 easyfit which i just use on it's own or with a bamboo booster if i'm going out and the stretchies i use with the pop in liner, a fleece liner and a tots bots wrap over the top. They never leak. At night we swap the fleece liner for a bambino mio booster which is amazing.

Thank you for all the advice.

moss50 Thu 24-Oct-13 21:13:30

Might also be a cause of wicking. Where his vests are getting smaller, it presses the wee out and the nappy hasn't got time to absorb the wee.
A larger size vest, that's not too tight around nappy might solve that.
Also make sure you tuck the leg elastic into (or close to) his leg/tummy fold. It should not go down his legs. And should sit snug.
Really hope you get them to work!! Good luck!!

PinkPepper Thu 24-Oct-13 21:16:08

Make sure you put the bamboo underneath the microfibre as microfibre absorbs quicker then bamboo holds it all in

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 21:24:54

At 18lbs he should be on the shortest setting. But prob change to middle poppers around 20-22 lbs. I used real nappies from birth so I just started on the shortest. I have a friend who started around 6 months and made the same mistake as you. There is allot to get your head around. Also try tighten it by another popper.

If you want some more easyfits boots have a 3 for 2 offer on them. Which is very good value. Plus you get 10 points back on the pound using your advantage card

rrreow Fri 25-Oct-13 15:20:13

Have you tried without the fleece liner? My cheapies all have a fleecy inner layer and two layers of fleece actually acts as a barrier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now