This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

should I put a nappy\pull up on a bedwetter for a long car journey

(24 Posts)
Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 07:26:41

Tomorrow we are driving to Edinburgh, leaving in the late afternoon. All 3 of my ds ages, 5, 8, 11 wet the bed and both my 8 and 12 year old ware pj pants and my 5 year old still uses size 6 nappies. Its a 6 hour + journey so its very possible that they will fall asleep and wet themselves. Do you think its ok to have them ware there pull ups\nappy. My 5 and 8 year old I don't have much of a concern over as they aren't too bothered and have worn them before on car trips. But my eldest is very self concious about his nappy pants (fair enough at his age). They are still full to bursting every morning though and it would be embarrassed if he was to have an accident without any pull ups. Do you think it is fair for me to ask him? I would never force him to if he felt uncomfortable about it, but do you think its sensible or a bit weird for them to be in nappies.
Thanks
x

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 07:49:27

*11 year old

thekingfisher Fri 18-Oct-13 07:51:40

couldnt he change into PJ pants whenyou have a natural wee break for the 11 year old? Even if you left at 5 you could stop at 8 for everyone to have a wee then get them changed at that point??

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Oct-13 07:58:01

It could well be the best option tbh. It's not like you can stop in the middle if the motorway and change everyone. And access to water to clean won't be easy either. I can understand his concern but tbh it's no one else's business he shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for something he can't help and I would hope that people wouldn't stare if they noticed.

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 08:08:42

Its a good suggestion, he may fall asleep before though and end up in wet trousers. About an hour after he is asleep his nappy pants are wet so not sure if its worth risking. It could be a good compramise, but if he is going to have to ware them then he might as well pop them on at home. Thanks for the reply x

nextphase Fri 18-Oct-13 08:39:48

Do you have any small waerproof sheets left?
We lined DS1's carseat with a waterproof sheet, and then it was a case of clean clothes and bag up the wet stuff if it did happen?
I'm guessing the oldest is out of a car seat, so would they sit on something absobant?

Have a lovely time in Edinburgh.

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 09:00:55

Thanks smile .I have some disposable changing mats, I was going to put them on the others cars seats as they often leak. I could have him sit on a towle with a mat underneath at least it would save the car seat. But still would need to change his cloves which could be difficult and embarrassing. If he was an occasional wetter then I would probably go with it but he has never really had a dry night so be is un likly to be dry.
xx

TwerkingNinetoFive Fri 18-Oct-13 09:18:05

Dry nights do a pad that we use for dd on her bed. You could put that under them.

TwerkingNinetoFive Fri 18-Oct-13 09:18:48

Sorry just read about the clothes issue.

MsPickle Fri 18-Oct-13 09:36:22

How about making sure that he's in trousers where it's not obvious what he's wearing? So comfy joggers or similar? Or pjs-we often travel with the kids late and I love seeing all the children in service stations in their pjs and dressing gowns, somehow it's just really nice to know they are all cosy in the cars! He may just need some reassurance as well that apart from you no one would notice what he's got on his bottom as people don't look that closely...

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Oct-13 09:37:59

Could he wear boxers over it?

I really hope you can get him to realise he shouldn't be embarrassed x

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:02:39

I think thats a good idea to have him in baggy cloves so its not sticking out and I don't see much problem with having some boxers over it just to make him feel his age. The pj pants are very discreat anyway, but when wet they do bulge out a bit. I wish I could get him to not be embarrassed, he doesn't go to sleepover purely because be is worried someone will notice his pant.

At home he isn't bothered about having them on as all his borthers are still in night nappies. Its just he doesn't wan't anyone to know. For example when shopping he makes me hide them behind other items.

I will explain that no one outside the car will know he has a nappy on however they will notice if he wets himself without it and there just pj pants for bedwetting which lots of kids his age ware. He is to old to be fooled by the 'there not a nappy there special big boy pants', he recognises there just the same as a nappy. Also I will tell him that he can drink what ever he likes if he wars it. He wont be able to feel bad about it then lol.

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:02:49

I think thats a good idea to have him in baggy cloves so its not sticking out and I don't see much problem with having some boxers over it just to make him feel his age. The pj pants are very discreat anyway, but when wet they do bulge out a bit. I wish I could get him to not be embarrassed, he doesn't go to sleepover purely because be is worried someone will notice his pant.

At home he isn't bothered about having them on as all his borthers are still in night nappies. Its just he doesn't wan't anyone to know. For example when shopping he makes me hide them behind other items.

I will explain that no one outside the car will know he has a nappy on however they will notice if he wets himself without it and there just pj pants for bedwetting which lots of kids his age ware. He is to old to be fooled by the 'there not a nappy there special big boy pants', he recognises there just the same as a nappy. Also I will tell him that he can drink what ever he likes if he wars it. He wont be able to feel bad about it then lol.

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:03:16

Thanks xx

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:03:23

Thanks xx

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:03:32

Thanks xx

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:03:48

Thanks xx

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:03:53

Thanks xx

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:08:32

Sorry my phone malfunctioned, didn't mean to send 7 messages lol. Will let you know how it goes. X

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Oct-13 15:09:56

grin I wish you a smoothe journey.

Alanna88 Fri 18-Oct-13 15:12:18

Thank you smile xx

Alanna88 Mon 21-Oct-13 08:11:23

Pleased to say we had a wonderful time. He wore his pj pants on the way there and on the way back for the whole journey, as did my younger two. I allowed him to drink as much as he wanted (within moderation) if he wore them, and as expected he couldn't resist this deal. This did mean however that they got very full after he fell asleep. I had to pull over so he could put a fresh pair on as he woke up not liking how soggy they were, I think he had used them when awake as they were still fairly warm.
On the way back there was a bit of an upset with ds2. He was caught short with a #2. Wasn't his fault, he had been feeling a bit sick all day. He was so upset, was in tears. Had to clean him up in a serves station baby change. It was the last pull up as well, so he had to ware one of ds3 nappies, which he only just fitted into.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 21-Oct-13 08:16:20

Aw I hope he feels better soon. Glad to hear the journey went ok. smile

Alanna88 Mon 21-Oct-13 08:25:49

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now