This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Do you use barrier cream?

(6 Posts)
HotToddyDog Tue 15-Oct-13 00:50:02

Hello, my LO is a few weeks old and my MIL was horrified to hear I'm not using barrier cream - tbh I've not really heard of it before now, and after doing a bit of research still none the wiser as to whether you would use it every nappy change as she thinks I should be doing, or only when they show signs of nappy rash or if at all?!

Thanks in advance!

rootypig Tue 15-Oct-13 01:21:41

No, and 11mo DD has never had nappy rash. If you're using disposables, they're now so good at wicking moisture away from the skin that you don't necessarily need it.

That said, I always have some in the house in case LO gets sore for another reason - she has a few times when she's had a squitty bum from teething. Weleda Calendula stuff is good at calming skin down, it's £6 for the tube but using it as a treatment means you don't use much.

McRoo Tue 15-Oct-13 01:32:04

Same here. Never used it, never needed to. Both my DM and my MiL were amazed DS has never had nappy rash. I don't know anyone whose baby has either.

I just use Sudocrem when DS looks a bit sore. I don't use anything as a preventative. He's never had any major rash issues so far (21 months) smile

HotToddyDog Tue 15-Oct-13 02:03:40

Ah thank you for the replies, that's good to know. Yes forgot to say I am using disposables.

stargirl1701 Tue 15-Oct-13 08:21:20

No. It stops disposable nappies working at their best and is not good for cloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now