Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Pooey backs in Pampers - ARGH!

(17 Posts)
PhieEl06 Mon 30-Sep-13 16:38:10

We are using pampers nappies at the moment on our 9 week old DD but over the last week I'd say half her pooey nappies have leaked up her back, it's as if they have just gone straight up & out the middle of her back. She's 11lb 5oz & has only been in size 2 nappies around 2 weeks as size 1's fit perfectly for ages. From what I've read online leaking up back usually means time to move up a size, but size 2 seem to fit fine looks wise & she's in the weight range for them but today we've had 3 different outfits already due to pooey backs! We also have over 300 size 2 nappies as someone brought us a load as a present so will be miffed if I can't use them! Could there be another reason to them leaking? Anything I can do differently when putting them on?
Does anyone have this problem with pampers?

mrsmartin1984 Mon 30-Sep-13 18:44:31

It's always an issue with disposable nappies not just pampers. There is nothing around the back to hold the poo in. So if she does a large poo it will just shoot up the back going everywhere. Which is one of the reasons I use reusable nappies. They have elastic across the back. Many a time I have gone to change her nappy and the poo has gone up to the elastic and not gone out.

I use disposibles when I go away for the weekend. In order to prevent this happening I put a waterproof wrap around the nappy in order to hold in any poo

stargirl1701 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:55:17

This is a disposable nappy problem not a Pampers problem. We switched to cloth nappies and haven't had a poo leak since.

PhieEl06 Tue 01-Oct-13 08:24:37

It's not just large poo's it's almost every poo! It's like it just tries to find the nearest escape route!
I want to switch to cloth but I still live with my parents & my mum has point blank refused to let me wash them in the washing machine.

blueberryupsidedown Tue 01-Oct-13 08:27:32

sorry you will have to give away/sell on gumtree your size 2 nappies and buy bigger ones. With the bigger ones, you could try folding the back a little to try and keep the poos in.

Antidote Tue 01-Oct-13 08:35:43

Why not get a small pack of size 3 to try, or a disposable nappy wrap / outer to go over the pampers? That work for us reducing wee beaches at night when ds got to the very wiggly stage!

Antidote Tue 01-Oct-13 08:37:16

Or look online and see if there it's a real nappy club in your area who take away the dirty ones once a week and deliver clean ones.

PhieEl06 Tue 01-Oct-13 08:54:53

Sending DP on a Tesco run this morning for a small pack of size 3's. Grrring at all the size two nappies! hmm

Antidote - I will look for that, thank you for the suggestion!

Fairylea Tue 01-Oct-13 08:58:56

I found this with every brand except aldi. I think it might be a case of being just one of those things in disposables and also finding a brand that suits you best.

We still have the occasional absolutely horrid poo at 16 months... ds woke me up this morning at 6am to alert me to one he'd done that not only had gone up his back but also contained whole peas and sweetcorn. All that to come for you.... smile isn't parenthood lovely smile

Fairylea Tue 01-Oct-13 08:59:49

Oh and try and sell the size 2 on eBay or take to your nearest food bank. Someone else will be glad of them.

RunningGingerFreckleyThing Tue 01-Oct-13 09:20:59

Is your DD wearing a vest? I found that if the vest was in any way snug, it squeezed the poo up the back. Once I would change to the next size up, the poo stayed in the nappy.

Antidote Tue 01-Oct-13 17:00:56

Where are you based? I need some size 2 nappies for dd?

mrsmartin1984 Tue 01-Oct-13 18:19:30

Seriously consider a waterproof wrap. It'll hold it all in. And you won't need to sell up

Ariela Tue 01-Oct-13 19:37:56

Is your mum letting you wash the pooey clothing in the machine? If so, I'd suggest to her that you use cloth nappies with a liner. Then the liner (& poo) can be binned (as you would a disposable - but far less bulk in the bins) or flushed, and the resultant mostly poo-less nappy would result in far less washing than all these outfits.

The best nappies on containment are a two part shaped & fitted nappy with a separate wrap.

The problem with disposables is they're made just for single use - so cheap materials, thin elastic and the vast majority have no elastic whatsoever along the back. A decent fitted nappy has back elastic, as does the waterproof wrap over the top, so in the unlikely event the nappy leaks then the wrap will stop if going any further.

mamacoffee Thu 03-Oct-13 20:46:17

I live with my mum and have been really pleasantly surprised at how she doesn't mind all the nappy washes bc she's usually v particular about that sort of thing. I wonder if you could explain to your mum about how modern cloth nappies work, and also how much better washing machines are nowadays. The old top loader machin that perhaps your mum used (my mum did) was nowhere near as powerful but today's machines can deal with quite a lot! You could also always wash nappies at 60 to make sure the machine is pretty much disinfected.

owlface Fri 04-Oct-13 09:31:34

Yy to the vest theory - I think you need bigger vests, not bigger nappies! The same thing happened with DD and disposables before we got going with cloth.

PhieEl06 Sat 05-Oct-13 22:02:56

We have tried size 3's much better but leak through the legs sometimes, when at home we're our open packs of size 2's as I don't mind changing when at home but luckily we've had less leaks over the last few days, use size 3's when going out or are out as we've had no pooey back incidents.
Oh & my mum is coming round to the reusable idea but does still need some convincing. Hopefully we'll be in them by Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now