This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reasonable estimate of when to take the plunge with reusables?

(10 Posts)
MrsHoratioNelson Tue 24-Sep-13 21:57:37

First baby due very soon and we're going to get our eye in with disposables. I'm keen to at least investigate reusables and do a trial. What's a reasonable timescale to aim for in terms of seeing a bit of a pattern of wetting and poos so that we can see which nappies would work best?

Obviously we'll need to emerge from the new baby fog a bit as well smile

Thanks.

barnet Tue 24-Sep-13 22:00:38

I found it best to start when baby had nice chunky thighs around 3 months old, before that there was often leakage due to skinny legs!

MrsHoratioNelson Tue 24-Sep-13 22:24:51

Thanks barnet. It looks like that would save us having to buy as many and buying smaller sizes to get a good fit.

unadulterateddad Tue 24-Sep-13 22:27:19

Straight away, washables were great straight away and never had a problem with leakage - just need to find the best ones for your DC - I always liked Fuzzibunz - dead easy for a cackhanded dad like me smile

AnythingNotEverything Tue 24-Sep-13 22:34:53

I'm hoping to give reusables a go from about a month in, once we know night from day and can follow the instructions ...

I don't want the pressure of the washing too early on, and the little Lambs I had been given need to be dry paired, so I imagine they'd start to pong if I didn't get on with washing rhem quick.

mrsmartin1984 Tue 24-Sep-13 23:58:45

I started using them once we got home from hospital.

Go on nappy lady website as she has youtube clips on how yet of the nappies work. Be aware that some birth to potty nappies are massive and won't really fit from birth unless you have a monster baby

Also if you buy some you like preloved and don't get along with them you will be able to sell them back for roughly the same price.

I brought some tots bots easyfits and bumgenius nappies to start. Although I couldn't use the easyfits straight away (massive). And I also got some bamboo size ones at night. Which I used without the booster.

Since then I got some size twos and threes for later on. And some more easy fits and BGs. And also some ebay cheapies.

I didn't find it too hard washing from the beginning. It has got easier but largely due to the face that I brought a stupid amount of nappies, use two buckets and a do full load every 4/5 days.

stargirl1701 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:42:32

About 12 weeks.

NomDeClavier Wed 25-Sep-13 21:46:41

Straight out of hospital. Muslins then terries in a newborn fold with a motherease airflow wrap until his thighs fattened up enough for mother ease one size, then Bumgenius v4s and flips from about 6 weeks. He was a chunk though. Planning on pretty much the same with this one.

littleblackno Wed 25-Sep-13 21:52:55

I used them from a couple of weeks old. Get home, get used to the shock of a baby (ok that takes a while), get used to the shock of new born baby poo! There is enough going on without worrying about extra washing in the early days but do use them, definatly worth the investment. I did use disposables at night with ds as he suffered with terrible nappy rash and the washables seemed to make it worse. He always slept well so rarely needed changing at night.

FoofFighter Wed 02-Oct-13 12:51:18

I started at 5 days old. Wanted to wait until the meconium had gone as I feared it would ruin the nappies and stain/stick but have since found out it doesn't and washes out just fine smile

I found the size 1s were fine fitting, but the birth to potty ones I had didn't fit until she was 10lbs ish which was 3 weeks for her, obviously longer for less chunky monkeys!

We did use dispos at night though for the first 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now