This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which detergent do you use?

(6 Posts)
highlandbird Tue 17-Sep-13 09:15:36

I've always used ecover liquid for my BG's but have noticed a few people on here saying not to use ecover, although nobody says why!
Just wondering what others use, I use fairy non bio gel on clothes but would think that's way too harsh for nappies.
Only use a tiny bit, do a cold rinse first and couple of extra rinses at the end, almost always bubbles still on the extra rinses. Also thinking of changing from washing at 60 to 40 having read a thread on here recently where someone's BG's were ruined waterproof-wise from washing at 60....but wondering whether this is hygienic.
Any words of wisdom welcome grin

tywysogesgymraeg Tue 17-Sep-13 09:19:38

We use whatever washing poweder/gel/liquid is on offer the week I go shopping at Sainsbury's.
And I almost always do a 30 deg wash. I'll occasionally put the towels and sheets on a hot wash, but we all shower every day, so things can't be that dirty that they need a 40 or 60 deg wash.

I don't know what's recommended for nappies though - it's a long time since I used them.

highlandbird Tue 17-Sep-13 09:53:49

Diolch Tywysoges (hogan arall gymraeg yma!!)
I meant for nappies really, would like to keep them in good condition for as long as possible, would have thought ecover was less harsh on the material of the outers but I'm probably wrong about that!

FoofFighter Wed 18-Sep-13 23:29:36

Bold 2 in 1 white lillies powder - about 3/4 of a dose - 40c wash - cold rinse and spin first.

Or soda crystals and a good squirt of Stardrops and again on a 40c.

60c if ill.

really doesn't matter as long as you aren't routinely using bleaches, napisan soaks, vinegar etc which can all ruin PUl or elastics.

mrsmartin1984 Thu 19-Sep-13 09:42:29

I use aldi non bio but half the amount and wash them at 40oC. I do a 60oC wash occasionally.

brettgirl2 Fri 27-Sep-13 06:33:59

I find if I don't use a proper dose of detergent and wash at 60 they come out stinking. I use fairy powder but always set my machine to prewash (with just water) and 2 extra rinse cycles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now