This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I want to use reusables so much but just can't get them working well!

(13 Posts)

It's really frustrating me, I really want to make the switch but DS is nearly 14mo and is on the top centile for height so we are limited in the brands we can use. We have tried bambino miosolo, real easy by hip hip baby, little lambs (too short)

I am thinking of giving motherease sandy's a go.

Problems we are having are mainly with the miosolo. They are so harsh around the legs. They are not especially tight but DS comes away with horrible red marks, where they rub when wet. Also they leave scratch marks from the velcro. The real easys are pretty good, they don't leave too many marks but do a bit and they don't look amazingly comfy. I just want to find comfy nappies for him!

ProtegeMoi Thu 15-Aug-13 18:20:26

You seem to be using a lot of the budget brands, while some people swear by them I personally think you get what you pay for. Weenotions are one of my preferred nappies but they are eexpensive. For more every day ones I use bumgenius, itti tuttos and tots bots. Have a look for some preloved ones to try them.

Well the miosolos cost me £15 each and the real easys were about £12 is that really budget? Don't want to spend more than that tbh on something which doesn't seem to work for reasons I wouldn't think are related to budget.

I went to the nappy lady who recommend the miosolos as was pretty much the only ones that fit ds!

stargirl1701 Fri 16-Aug-13 08:00:04

Does your local authority run a nappy kit hire scheme? I borrowed a kit for 3 weeks at a cost of £10 and tried almost every nappy on the market. I quickly discovered what worked for me and what fit DD.

blushingmare Fri 16-Aug-13 19:32:48

Hi OP. I don't have anything useful to add, but wanted to share your frustration as I'm in a similar circumstance to you. DD is 14mo and we're only just trying cloth now. I've started with some borrowed Easyfits, but they're not a great fit and and leaking loads, no matter what I do. So I've just bought a Bumgenius Freetime and a Totsbots Bamboozle to try them. Just waiting for them to dry after their 3 washes....!

It's frustrating when you want it to work and it doesn't isn't it? Also My DH is not keen, so any hitches are just fuel to the flames in that department!

4yoniD Tue 27-Aug-13 20:04:07

Have you tried velcro-ing the mio solos differently? Fasten them towards the bottom of the velcro strip, or even coming up at an angle, for maximum leg room.

If you find Little Lamb size 2 too small then you could go up to Little Lamb or Bamboozle size 3s, but unless he is a really big 14 month old they may be huge. The biggest "normal" sized nappy I know of is Motherease One Size (MEOS). MEOS are bulky between the legs so it depends if that will bother you (or him!). Kissaluvs are also quite large (size 2, I think). Haven't tried Sandys, but they are similar to the MEOS - both are motherease.

Those are all 2 part nappies so you would need a cover/wrap. If you have a problem with marks on legs then you could think about using wool covers (these can be used day as well as night), fleece covers (good quality ones like Dancing Bears, or Tots Bots used to do a fleece cover) or it is possible to get PUL (normal plastic) pull-on pants with fleece leg cuffs instead of velcro. Otherwise it would be trial and error to find a nappy cover which worked for you.

If you really wanted pocket nappies Bumgenius nappies are large-ish but not as large as those mentioned above - and the new Little Lamb OSFA pocket nappy, but again that isn't as big as those above (the new bamboo one, not the older versions). Bumgenius Flip is the largest I've tried, although it is a prefold system more than a pocket nappy.

Would you consider buying some second hand to try out? Of those mentioned, MEOS are easily available cheaply second hand and also Flip. If you happened to knit, you can make your own wool covers - just have a google to check you have the right wool, and you will have to lanolise it so either buy lanolin or if you happen to have Lansinoh nipple cream you can use that.

Good luck!

minibreadstick Wed 28-Aug-13 13:56:20

I wouldn't say you're using budget brands confused

I think the nappy library idea is a great suggestion.

Also you can sell the nappies which aren't working for u on Facebook for a better price than you'll get on ebay smile

No local authority doesn't have a scheme, annoyingly the county border is 5 mins down the road and they offer a free trial pack...maybe I'll get a friend to get one for me!

blushing yes it is very frustrating! Maybe if you start using reusables from birth you don't realise the issues with them as it's all you're used to! Starting this late is hard, especially with a tall baby! I have pretty much given up for the moment. Another problem cropped up...DS already doesn't sleep well and woke every 40mins until he was about 11 months then it started to improve a bit and I was getting a couple of hours straight at some points. Using the reusable nappies set that back again and he was waking more frequently and uncomfortable all night. I don't think he can handle the wet feeling. He feeds all night so he gets very wet. Will wait until he's started sleeping better I think.

As for day time, the rash he gets just puts me off. This is a boy that has never had nappy rash until using reusables.

It's such a shame. I absolutely hate putting disposables on him.

Thanks for nappy suggestions. I have tried motherease one size on but when booster is added it's too short. He is a very tall boy! Gap in the market here for anyone who fancies making nappies for tall babies...not sure its much of a market though!

With the wool wraps....do they really stay waterproof?

Oh, and I tried contacting 3 nappy libraries (farnham, Guildford and Woking) but heard nothing back from any of them!

Kelbells Wed 28-Aug-13 15:25:22

If I were you I'd contact thenappylady, she's AMAZING and based in Farnham! She'll see you for a free fitting appt and talk you through your options, she may save you spending money on nappies that won't suit?

ChimneyDeep Wed 28-Aug-13 15:32:59

I used the classified boards on here/gumtree and Cloth Nappy Tree to buy lots of different brands preloved and cheaply and try different types/fits that way. I found Bumgenius the best ones dc were older and poos firm enough to not need the safety of a 2 parter.

blushingmare Wed 28-Aug-13 19:45:59

Sorry you're not having much luck MoreSnow angry

We've actually been getting on much better. The Bumgenius Freetimes are winners for us. I fold the padding in them so there is more in the middle as this seems to be where most of her wee goes. DD isn't particularly tall though, so may not help you. I'm using washable fleece liners which I'm actually finding much easier to deal with than paper as they hold more poo and seem to irritate less.

DD was starting to get a bit of a rash when we started, so I started using washable wipes with a wash made of camomile and honey tea and olive oil as suggested on the Nappy Lady site. I was sceptical, but it really seems to have worked!

Has the Nappy Lady been able to suggest any other options suitable for tall toddlers for you?

I'm still using disposables at night for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. DD is a poor sleeper at the best of times and I really don't want to do anything that will mess with our nights!

blushingmare Wed 28-Aug-13 19:46:31

Sorry you're not having much luck MoreSnow angry

We've actually been getting on much better. The Bumgenius Freetimes are winners for us. I fold the padding in them so there is more in the middle as this seems to be where most of her wee goes. DD isn't particularly tall though, so may not help you. I'm using washable fleece liners which I'm actually finding much easier to deal with than paper as they hold more poo and seem to irritate less.

DD was starting to get a bit of a rash when we started, so I started using washable wipes with a wash made of camomile and honey tea and olive oil as suggested on the Nappy Lady site. I was sceptical, but it really seems to have worked!

Has the Nappy Lady been able to suggest any other options suitable for tall toddlers for you?

I'm still using disposables at night for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. DD is a poor sleeper at the best of times and I really don't want to do anything that will mess with our nights!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now