This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Size 5+ at 10 months

(44 Posts)

I just noticed that nappies only tend to go up to size 6 and then have pictures of grown kids on them for nighttime wetters I think.

Well DS isn't massive but has really big strong thighs and goes through the sizes very quickly. He was into 5+ at 9 months, still looking ok in them at 10 but surely if he's gone through this quickly, where do I go as he gets older?!

rrreow Thu 02-May-13 11:24:14

Are you using the 5+ for absorbency needs or for size needs? Once babies get mobile (esp walking) they tend to slim down a lot and actually can go down a size in nappies.

For absorbency, I was under the impression that the size doesn't change, they are just more absorbent?

Hmmm...he's been walking for 4 months now, think that's why his thighs are so big!

freelancegirl Thu 02-May-13 19:36:57

DS is 9 1/2 months and been on size 6 for 2 months! I prefer them tbh, the others feel so small. He IS big but also has a long body, which I think is why larger feels better. I too have been wondering what to do when he outgrows these so it's good to hear he might get smaller when moving. Although it is not his tummy that seems big iykwim.

SolomanDaisy Thu 02-May-13 19:42:30

Wow, how big is he? My 98th centile+ DS has just gone into size 5 at 22 months! Usually their thighs slim down a lot after they start walking, though it took quite a while to happen for DS.

10 months old and he's been walking for 4 months? Really?

DukeSilver Thu 02-May-13 19:59:06

That is seriously huge!

My dd is 3 and still wears nappies for bedtime. A size 5 is still pretty big on her so I should think you'll get quite a long time until your DS is too big for them.

He's on about 85th centile. His tummy is smaller than the average 5+ toddler as the pull up ones where you can't adjust the waist are slightly loose but we can still use those and have no leaks. It's just his thighs, they are massive!

He has recently got quite a bit taller and his thighs seem to be lengthening so hopefully they will slim down!

I think he stood and walked so early because he always has a slight bend in his knees making it easier to balance and I assume that's how his thighs got so big, the muscles are constantly working...

Yes pattie really?! He took his first steps at 6.5 months and is now 10.5 months or there abouts.

MortifiedAdams Thu 02-May-13 20:47:00

He walked at six months?

Yes, well 6 and a half

50shadesofvomit Thu 02-May-13 20:48:47

I assume OP means cruise, my dd stood up and cruised at 6.5 months and walked at 10 months. (Crawled at 13 months)

Pendipidy Thu 02-May-13 20:51:10

Not walking unaided at 6.5 months?! No

freelancegirl Thu 02-May-13 20:56:44

My GP said that babies with long bodies often need bigger nappies. She volunteered that info - I didn't go see her about DS needing larger nappies smile

Yes walking unaided, not cruising, is it really that unbelievable?! I think it was just because he was standing really well by then for about 30 secs because of what I said about his knees always being slightly bent, he can balance very easily, never falls anymore...hence the massive thighs!

I wanted to try reuseables and ordered one in a size 2 which apparently should keep most kids going until they potty train. It is too tight on his thighs already...wtf!

freelance haha, I'm imagining your face at that from gp considering you didn't ask!

He does have a long body...hmm

My ds has been on the 98th centime from about 6 months. He is now 90cm, 14.1kgs and in size 5 nappies just. I think 5+ for yours is a bit too big tbh, I'd try the 4s. Little angels from asda are super absorbent, never had a problem.

*centile

kilmuir Thu 02-May-13 21:09:42

blimey

Ds is 20.5 months btw

Choccy, it's not about weight with him it's about his legs. 4s won't fit round his legs, they dig in like crazy and leak because the stretchy bit gets pulled down too far as there's not enough material. Hard to explain but, size 4 is too small!

BedHanger Thu 02-May-13 21:15:02

Gosh, my large 2.5yo has only just gone into size six, and they are huge! Sounds like reusables might be the way forward.

Walking at 6.5 months is very unusual!

But the reusables were too small! I think they had a size 3 in the brand I bought so could try that but it's just like trying the 6 in disposables, where do I go after that?!

Maybe I should just get a bit of cloth and wrap him in tarzan style!

Chocchip88 Thu 02-May-13 21:19:39

My 2 1/2 year old who is off the charts on height and weight is only in 5s!
Have you tried different brands? Different nappies leaked at different ages on mine.

My ds has massive legs lol! Have you tried active fit, the legs are more stretchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now