This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Monster wees - anyone potty trained early(ish). Any tips?

(8 Posts)
AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Fri 26-Apr-13 13:18:59

I am seriously considering having a go at potty training DD2 - who is 23 months. She has obviously started holding wee for long periods, because sometimes her nappies are bone dry, and sometimes she is soaking them through in very short periods.

We use bumgenius, boosted with a bamboo layer and I've strip washed until the cows come home. Sometimes the nappy leaks, but the inserts aren't fully soaked, as it they hae just been 'flooded' as it were. Really don't want to move to disposables at this late stage if I don't absolutely have to.

Does anyone have any tips? DD1 was 2.5 when we did it .DD2's pretty verbal and has good comprehension, but obviously nowhere near as emotionally developed as she would be in six months.

Also, any last ditch ideas for boosting the bumgenius?

stargirl1701 Fri 26-Apr-13 21:13:56

Bamboo + hemp?

mamacoffee Fri 26-Apr-13 23:35:26

Try putting her on loo and praise her when she wees, then if she responds increase times you take her to loo. 10mo dd produces a fair no of poos and some wees on loo so it can be done. Especially if you can work out a pattern to her monster wees (eg after X minutes of a drink)

Habbibu Fri 26-Apr-13 23:39:06

Both mine potty trained v quickly just around their 2nd birthdays, so I'd give it a go if she seems ready -I think some kids are just ready a bit earlier.

Torrorosso Sat 27-Apr-13 00:08:32

She's 17 now grin, but dd2 was fully potty trained, day and night, at 19 months. She seemed to know what to do (having an elder sister helped) and, with lots of praise, got the idea within a week of starting.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sat 27-Apr-13 08:31:49

Thanks everyone. I think I might wait until half term so we can hang out at home for the first few days and then give it a shot.

Thanks for the hemp idea too. Will try that if potty training fails!

I'm thinking about this as well but dd I'd only 14 months. she seems to know when she is about to wee so we are teaching the words wee and poo as stage one then going to start putting her on and saying the words. are we mad?

leavesalmondoutofit Sat 27-Apr-13 09:05:50

poocatcherchampion you are not mad. If toilet training does not go fairly quickly it is ok to stop and try again rather than everybody be frustrated.

My almost 30 year old daughter was toilet trained at 14 months, no kidding. She did it herself. We had had a very warm summer. She ran about the garden in t shirt and suncream for months. We just cleaned hard areas with water etc at the end of the day. When it came time to wear clothes she refused to wear a nappy and very quickly used a potty.

You know your own child best. Actually I didn't it was her Dad who picked up that she was holding on. I would have just persisted with the nappies till she gave in. Stubborn me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now