This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

nappies smelling of poo

(10 Posts)
mamacoffee Mon 22-Apr-13 16:19:59

What can I do about it? Dd is 10mo most of our nappies were preloved though. I wash at 40 in a small amount if non bio I rinse first then wash on a c80 minutes cycle and sometimes I rinse again after if the water looked like it still had bubbles. I dont understand why they smell! I used to put a bit of tea tree oil in too, but stopped that bc I was worried about degrading the bamboo.

Kelbells Tue 23-Apr-13 20:17:36

I'd suggest a strip wash and then washing at 60 degrees? Not had this problem personally but that would be my first port of call... Is your dc teething? That can make them smell a lot worse, although I thought it was usually of urine...

jkklpu Tue 23-Apr-13 20:20:06

40C not hot enough - 60C or 90C

Try Napisan? I put about a tablespoon in every wash alongside the usual detergent, unless it's 'soiled' when I use 2 tbsp. Supposed to help kill off the germs.

forevergreek Tue 23-Apr-13 20:28:24

I always washed nappies at 60 degrees as washed and 95 once a month.

I don't think 40 cleans them. Hospitals wash bedding at 60 to sanitise

rrreow Tue 23-Apr-13 22:59:14

I always wash on 40 and once every 2ish weeks on 60 and don't have poo smell problems. How much of the solids actually go into the machine? Try to get everything caught in the liner so you have the least amount of poo go into the machine. Could there be some kind of blockage (check the filter)? You should generally run a 60 or above wash once a month to avoid smells lingering in the machine (this applies even if you're not using the machine for nappies). Also an 80 min wash cycle sounds very short, my machine's wash is 2.5 hours. Make sure you're not using a short setting or an Eco setting (Eco uses less water which is not ideal for washing nappies).

mamacoffee Wed 24-Apr-13 21:44:51

thank you everyone. interesting what you all say about the temperature as i only recently changed this, i used to wash mostly at 60, but then i invested in some monkeyfoot wetbags and they can only be washed at 40 so i changed to 40...

today i washed the nappies, then after done, i took out the wetbags and then did another 60 degree cycle without detergent.

they smell sooooo much better!! :D

but does that mean everytime i have to do this, ie wash at 40 then take the wetbags out and wash again at 60? what do most people do?

thanks

rrreow Wed 24-Apr-13 22:30:22

Can you just wipe the inside of the wetbags down without washing them and then wash them once a week with the nappies on 40C or put them in with your normal wash? We use a bin at home and only use wetbags for out & about and I don't wash them after every use (unless they actually have poo on them, but that hardly happens because I kind of wrap the nappies up before putting them in there).

mamacoffee Wed 24-Apr-13 22:59:33

i only use them out and about too, but usually every wash (every other day) has 1 or 2 or them in the 2 days worth of nappies wash.

i used to use ebay cheapie PUL bags and then got fed up when 2 of them broke in quick succession (the zips failed).

they never get pooey in the bag but i still want to wash them properly (i always quickly wipe the wrap in my 2 parterw before changing too which i know most people don't do but i personally couldn't use them if i didn't!)

i think i'll just have to stick with the method i used today...overall it would create a longer wash i guess as well, which would be better too.

thanks!!

Kelbells Sat 27-Apr-13 10:08:28

I just wash at 40 degrees once weeks to wash the wetbag and 60 degrees on the longest wash the rest of the time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now